Old 16-08-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default killing Buddleia

Don't get me wrong i like Buddleia, ans i want to keep one in my garden.
The problem is i have one which self seeded behind greenhouse, with no
access to it, i try to keep it cut back but i have started to loose
glass due to the roots.
Is there are way to kill it with out digging it and the greenhouse up??

Thanks
Old 16-08-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Exhausted" wrote in message
Don't get me wrong i like Buddleia, ans i want to keep one in my garden.
The problem is i have one which self seeded behind greenhouse, with no
access to it, i try to keep it cut back but i have started to loose glass
due to the roots.
Is there are way to kill it with out digging it and the greenhouse up??

Thanks

Spray the leaves etc with a Systemic Weed/Brush Killer. I have used SBK with
great success.

That will do the job

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 16-08-2009, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Exhausted" wrote in message
Don't get me wrong i like Buddleia, ans i want to keep one in my garden.
The problem is i have one which self seeded behind greenhouse, with no
access to it, i try to keep it cut back but i have started to loose glass
due to the roots.
Is there are way to kill it with out digging it and the greenhouse up??

Thanks

You could use a glyphosate-based systemic herbicide (such as Tumbleweed),
but only while the plant has good leafy growth, which will translocate the
poison to the roots. You may need more than one application if the plant
stubbornly persists.

This poison is not selective, so don't get it on wanted plants. It is
considered to be relatively safe, though, because it breaks down on contact
with the soil

Spider

Old 16-08-2009, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the prompt answers
I may have problem, as i cut the thing right back again today, so i
guess its next year before i can do anything

Its almost as though the Buddleia is meant to live....

Old 16-08-2009, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Exhausted" wrote in message
Thanks for the prompt answers
I may have problem, as i cut the thing right back again today, so i guess
its next year before i can do anything

Its almost as though the Buddleia is meant to live....

Apply generous quantities of the nasties mentioned above with a paintbrush
to the newly cut stump surfaces.
Odds on it will still get the unwanted here message (:-).

Repeat over several days, to be sure, to be sure !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 16-08-2009, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Exhausted" wrote in message
Thanks for the prompt answers
I may have problem, as i cut the thing right back again today, so i guess
its next year before i can do anything

Its almost as though the Buddleia is meant to live....

Apply generous quantities of the nasties mentioned above with a paintbrush
to the newly cut stump surfaces.
Odds on it will still get the unwanted here message (:-).

Repeat over several days, to be sure, to be sure !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

and also on any new growth such as new leaves as and when the sun shines and
encourages growth ;-) There is still time.

Old 16-08-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Exhausted" wrote in message
Thanks for the prompt answers
I may have problem, as i cut the thing right back again today, so i
guess its next year before i can do anything

Its almost as though the Buddleia is meant to live....

Apply generous quantities of the nasties mentioned above with a
paintbrush to the newly cut stump surfaces.
Odds on it will still get the unwanted here message (:-).

Repeat over several days, to be sure, to be sure !

and also on any new growth such as new leaves as and when the sun shines
and encourages growth ;-) There is still time.

What new growth (;-)
Regards
Pete

Old 16-08-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Exhausted wrote:
Thanks for the prompt answers
I may have problem, as i cut the thing right back again today, so i
guess its next year before i can do anything

What you are doing pretty much encourages more vigorous growth!

If you can still get to it then ammonium sulphamate put into holes in
the woody stem and/or a trace of copper sulphate will see it off.

Its almost as though the Buddleia is meant to live....

Wait until it has some new leaves and hit it with glyphosate.

They are pretty tough and it may take a few hits to see it off. Every
time it get s a new set of green leaves hit it again. Don't give it
chance to store any energy and it will eventually give up the ghost. A
black plastic bin bag over the stump might work too...

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 17-08-2009, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Exhausted
writes
Don't get me wrong i like Buddleia, ans i want to keep one in my
garden. The problem is i have one which self seeded behind greenhouse,
with no access to it, i try to keep it cut back but i have started to
loose glass due to the roots.
Is there are way to kill it with out digging it and the greenhouse up??

Wish I could get the damn thing to grow! SWMBO doesn't like them so I'm
forbidden from buying one - fortunately a nearby hedge has one in it -
but can I get any cuttings to take, can I heck! I might have to smuggle
a plant in....

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2

Old 18-08-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-08-17 20:17:16 +0100, "mike. buckley" said:

In message , Exhausted
writes
Don't get me wrong i like Buddleia, ans i want to keep one in my
garden. The problem is i have one which self seeded behind
greenhouse, with no access to it, i try to keep it cut back but i
have started to loose glass due to the roots.
Is there are way to kill it with out digging it and the greenhouse up??

Wish I could get the damn thing to grow! SWMBO doesn't like them so
I'm forbidden from buying one - fortunately a nearby hedge has one in
it - but can I get any cuttings to take, can I heck! I might have to
smuggle a plant in....

First time I've heard of anyone not being able to grow Buddleia! You
could try B. Dartmoor because it's quite different to others - very
handsome flower heads. It was discovered in a Dartmoor quarry and
someone was lowered down on a rope to take cuttings. Who could dislike
a plant with such a romantic history?!

I spent some time on the train today from Nottingham to Stockport via
Sheffield and back. I was fairly depressed to see Buddleia growing from
the cracks in the stones on the approach to Sheffield station and
between there and Chesterfield there's loads of it. Humph.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 20-08-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mike. buckley" wrote
I spent some time on the train today from Nottingham to Stockport via
Sheffield and back. I was fairly depressed to see Buddleia growing
from the cracks in the stones on the approach to Sheffield station and
between there and Chesterfield there's loads of it. Humph.

You could have a try with my Mum's no-fuss method for buddleia (and
various other things). It seems to work. She just sticks a cutting in
the garden soil in a suitable spot and it grows, no problem. Mind you,
you do have to remember where you put it. :-)
--
Sue

Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
multi-colored Buddleia courtault at yahoo.com Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia Annabel United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:31 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM