Old 18-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Registered User

Default Salix "Erythroflexuosa"

Hi All,

For the second year running our Salix "Erythroflexuosa" has become deceased, the leaves are all dying and there are black marks on the stems.

Last year when this happened we cut off all the stems that had black marks on which left the tree bare of any growth and when it started shooting out in the Spring we thought it would be alright but here we go again.

Is there any spray or is there any thing we can do about this, or will this happen every year.

Regards

Shirley
Cambs
Old 19-08-2009, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Shirleyp wrote:
Hi All,

For the second year running our Salix "Erythroflexuosa" has become
deceased, the leaves are all dying and there are black marks on the
stems.

Last year when this happened we cut off all the stems that had black
marks on which left the tree bare of any growth and when it started
shooting out in the Spring we thought it would be alright but here we
go again.

Is there any spray or is there any thing we can do about this, or will
this happen every year.

Regards

Shirley
Cambs

Hi Shirley,

Hoped you'd have a better reply, but here's mine.

Tortured willows in general are sensitive to a number of
problems that can cause die-back. Caterpillars, drought,
bacterial.

Mine has a bacterial disease, I moved it to a far corner of a
field near a pond where it will get lots of water, and cut back
to "good" wood. Some came out clean, the rest not. My neighbor
has 2 that started as cuttings from mine, now mature trees, one
completely clean the other looks awful.

As far as Erythroflexuosa in particular goes, I planted a small
one last year and it had die-back similar to what you describe.
With more careful mulching and watering it seems to be doing
better this year.

The good news is it's not an expensive plant so if it doesn't
go I'm only out 9 EU.

Emery, Normandy
Old 19-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_2_] View Post
Shirleyp wrote:
[...]

Thankyou Emery,

We will try mulching it and giving it more water, one person has told me that only very cold winters will cure it but he said that our winters are never cold enough, but I think our winter was pretty cold last year.

Still we will give your idea a try.

Thanks again

Shirley
Cambridge UK