Old 19-08-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default glyphosate and councils

"tony kitching" wrote in
message ...

A council worked arrived at my garden 30th July on a windy day and
sprayed
glyphosate randomly about by the look of it
My herbs and flowers were the first to show damage and some flowers
look like they are completely dead.
I caught all of the spraying on CCTV and sent it to the council.
The man I spoke to said that the spray only kills weeds and will not
affect my veg
He then said it was safe to eat my veg because the department that
are
responsible said it was sprayed on the path
How do I get the dead plants tested for the weed killer ?
I think his advise was not very good and I did use some sage that
had
been sprayed the same day and my gums were bleeding when I brushed
them
at bedtime
I had a swollen gum for a few days
Citizens advice have given me an appointment, so I'll have to wait
and
see if anything can be done

--
tony kitching

I've seen council spraying around here - it's an absolute disgrace.
They did some very expensive landscaping in front of some shops here
(not a bad job either) Then their spray operatives proceeded to kill
everything in the beds within a couple of seasons.
They are supposed to have received a rigorous training course (And the
one I did many years ago was) and should hold a certificate of their
competence (PA1 and PA6 are the minimum they should have, followed by
a period of close supervision while spraying). The guys I saw were a
bunch of numpties who shouldn't have been anywhere near spraying work.
So go after the council as hard as you can. As well as the operatives,
there are supervisors, managers and trainers failing to do their jobs
properly - they all need holding to account

--
Rod

My real address is

Old 19-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered User

hi mark

It's now day 14 of arguing with the council
I have now contacted DEFRA and have been forwarded to a complaints department
I am a council tenant, but that does not make me any different to anyone else
Apparently there was a work order for my path made last year, just after a dispute I had concerning paving that the council removed from my garden
I have since found out that they do this to a lot of peoples gardens in the town and I remember now that they told me they are not concerned with garden complaints
I did manage to get the paving replaced by them but they were not happy at the time
Looking through my CCTV collection I saw that on 8th July they walked through my garden to get access to my neighbours garden that is behind the building, carrying weed killer
The garden at the front and rear are now like a wasteland and I believe they were being a bit lazy on clearing the weeds,they had good strimmers
These gardens are for disabled people, so the council are supposed to maintain them
From the emails the council sent me, I don't think they are concerned about the instructions
I sent the council a copy of the instructions and told them to search for windy desired and crop
The reply I got was to write a letter to the people who did it and that the man I was emailing was not qualified to deal with it
This started Monday morning and it took him till this morning to give up telling me 3rd party information that was wrong
Telling me to eat the vegetables was the worst
I think it's my public duty to make sure the council tenants are warned because some people could be growing veg and eating it with a coating of this stuff
Old 19-08-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tony kitching wrote:
Martin Brown;861698 Wrote:
Mike wrote:-
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:39:20 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:
-
tony kitching wrote:-
A council worked arrived at my garden 30th July on a windy day and
sprayed
glyphosate randomly about by the look of it-
Pure glyphosate is about as poisonous weight for weight as the
caffeine
in instant coffee. It is the wetting agents in the commercial
weedkiller
formulations that are a bit nasty.--
-
I have worked for a council (no selective weed killers) and in
agriculture and my experience of the active ingrediant glyphosphate
commonly used in Roundup is wide.-

Surprised they don't use something more suitable on paths. I guess
because glyphosate is so lethal to plants and otherwise relatively
benign they use it for everything. The need to spray is much reduced
when a weedkiller is used with a germination inhibitor that lasts for a season

hi Martin
I have contacted defra and they have the cctv footage
I'm sure the met office will have the wind speed direction for that
day
The council told me they use this product

http://tinyurl.com/nptaln

OK. So it is a glyphosate formulation. I would not be too worried about
it. Unless you are an adherent of the Henry Doublespeak organisation
looking to rip off the worried well in a supermarket with Organic(TM)
branded products in multiple layers of polythene bags. Glyphosate is
quickly gone and makes its presence felt within two weeks.

The man I was in contact has told me he can't help anymore.
He did admit his ignorance
He was being told what to say by someone in the department that did
this
I was told that the council had a work order in place to treat my path
but this man didn't put any weed killer on the path

You appear to have a reasonable claim against them for negligence. How
far you push it is up to you, but you should have a claim for replacing
any damaged shrubs, flowers or vegetables. It gets hairy if you insist
that you won't eat vegetables that have survived.

I would not want any of this stuff in my garden
This year I'm almost completely organic

Organic(TM) growing is pointless pandering to hypochondriacs and the
worried well. Minimum inputs is *the* way to go.

Glyphosate is more environmentally friendly than using a flame gun or
garden bonfire for instance - that will create dioxins.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Organic(TM) growing is pointless pandering to hypochondriacs and the
worried well. Minimum inputs is *the* way to go.

Glyphosate is more environmentally friendly than using a flame gun or
garden bonfire for instance - that will create dioxins.

Regards,
Martin Brown[/quote]

Hi Martin
I understand what you are saying but I was lucky I spotted them spraying it without my permission
They still insist they did nothing wrong
The instructions reference windy conditions 3 times and one is in bold lettering
I shall have to wait for citizens advice to sort it I think
If I take samples of the plants, will there be anything left inside the root system ?
As the days progress I am seeing death occur up to 4 metres away from where he stood
do the drips feed constantly or does he have to push something to start the spray ?
A change in attitude is all I want at the moment and the piece of mind that it won't happen again
I say Organic but I still use blue slug pellets
all my beer traps did was provide a free bar for the pigeons and wasps
I just prefer blood fish and bone to liquids, but I use liquid in my hanging baskets and greenhouse
Will my compost be ok to use because when it happened I think it was just before,or even the same day, I cut back my hebe and that is looking contaminated ?
Old 20-08-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:14:24 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

[...]

I agree strongly with the above.

It must have been very windy to carry the droplets .. if that is the
cause of how it happened..

If the correct applicator was used ... the droplets come off a
spinning disc.
You can vary the speed of the disc for coverage. You have to start and
stop the flow with a switch. Simple :-)

Mike P

Old 20-08-2009, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
I agree strongly with the above.

It must have been very windy to carry the droplets .. if that is the
cause of how it happened..

If the correct applicator was used *... the droplets come off a
spinning disc.
You can vary the speed of the disc for coverage. You have to start and
stop the flow with a switch. *Simple :-)

Mike *P- Hide quoted text -

I formed the impression that a conventional sprayer, rather than CDA
was used and often with those, even with a floodjet, high spraying
pressure can cause the edge of the fan to atomise and those droplets
can carry a long way and they can be pretty well invisible especially
to a careless operative. However there's nowhere to hide when the
damage becomes apparent. If the OP gets independent expert advice,
they'll see glyphosate damage easily enough.

Rod
Old 20-08-2009, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

The herbicide used was this http://tinyurl.com/nptaln

Usually applied with cda machines as stated.

Mike P