Old 23-08-2009, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomatoes - again

In message , Martin
writes

Memo: Must build greenhouse )

I was disappointed with my tomatoes this year, grew Moneymaker and Ailsa
Craig on a bedroom window sill.
The AC were slightly better, but both were very watery to the taste, yet
the core was hard and indigestible.

Next year I won't bother, the Dutch vine-ripened ones I buy are tastier.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 24-08-2009, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

Ophelia wrote:

Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we
have been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow
for flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?

Early Girl, an all around flavor that changes as they get riper, Roma for
canning, mostly juice, that can be left on the plant until you have
enough toms to make the canning time worth the while, Stupis for a great
tasting tomato which will gladly be eaten by all. They all have a short
ripening period, mostly, depending on weather temps. It's dry here in the
summer, once being a desert, so our watering of said toms I mentioned
like a deep watering once a week unless the wind kicks up and it is a dry
wind that sucks the water right out of the soil.
--
signature goes here
Old 24-08-2009, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bud wrote:
Ophelia wrote:

Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and
we have been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I
will grow for flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?

Early Girl, an all around flavor that changes as they get riper, Roma
for canning, mostly juice, that can be left on the plant until you
have enough toms to make the canning time worth the while, Stupis for
a great tasting tomato which will gladly be eaten by all. They all
have a short ripening period, mostly, depending on weather temps.
It's dry here in the summer, once being a desert, so our watering of
said toms I mentioned like a deep watering once a week unless the
wind kicks up and it is a dry wind that sucks the water right out of
the soil.

Thank you very much, Bud