Old 22-08-2009, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomatoes - again

Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we have
been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow for
flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?

Old 22-08-2009, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-22 09:47:23 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we
have
been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow for
flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?

If you want to grow in baskets or tubs again, try Garden Pearl. It's a
rather more 'tart' flavour than Tumbler. We've grown a few in hanging
baskets this year and both we and customers like them very much.

Noted, thank you

Old 22-08-2009, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we have
been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow for
flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?

I like Marmande toms. The big 'ugly' ones.
ideal for eating raw,in a sarni, tomato and onion salad, cooking with,
stuffing etc etc.

Bob
Old 22-08-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
Ophelia wrote:
Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and
we have been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will
grow for flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?

I like Marmande toms. The big 'ugly' ones.
ideal for eating raw,in a sarni, tomato and onion salad, cooking with,
stuffing etc etc.

Bob

Seconded!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 22-08-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:
Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we
have been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow
for flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?
I like Marmande toms. The big 'ugly' ones.
ideal for eating raw,in a sarni, tomato and onion salad, cooking with,
stuffing etc etc.

Thanks, Bob saved

You've saved enough to open an account.

A file as it happens... called...'Gardening' )

Old 22-08-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we
have been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow
for flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?

I like Marmande toms. The big 'ugly' ones.
ideal for eating raw,in a sarni, tomato and onion salad, cooking with,
stuffing etc etc.

Thanks, Bob saved

Tomatoes are one thing I do know a little bit about. My parents had a
tomato nursery near Minehead (or tomato farm as the local yokels call
it). Not sure what variety they grew to sell but Dad always grew
Marmande for home consumption. Too ugly for selling in the market but
delicious especially if eaten still orange not bright red and soft.

Bob
Old 22-08-2009, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we
have been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow
for flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?
I like Marmande toms. The big 'ugly' ones.
ideal for eating raw,in a sarni, tomato and onion salad, cooking with,
stuffing etc etc.

Thanks, Bob saved

Tomatoes are one thing I do know a little bit about. My parents had a
tomato nursery near Minehead (or tomato farm as the local yokels call it).
Not sure what variety they grew to sell but Dad always grew Marmande for
home consumption. Too ugly for selling in the market but delicious
especially if eaten still orange not bright red and soft.

I don't mind what they look like... flavour is all) Your information and
advice is exactly what I was looking for)

Thanks again, Bob

Old 23-08-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Well me few plants of Tumbler tomatoes have performed very well and we
have been eating them for a week or two. Next time though, I will grow
for flavour rather than size. Any recommendations please?
I like Marmande toms. The big 'ugly' ones.
ideal for eating raw,in a sarni, tomato and onion salad, cooking with,
stuffing etc etc.

Thanks, Bob saved

Tomatoes are one thing I do know a little bit about. My parents had a
tomato nursery near Minehead (or tomato farm as the local yokels call it).
Not sure what variety they grew to sell but Dad always grew Marmande for
home consumption. Too ugly for selling in the market but delicious
especially if eaten still orange not bright red and soft.

I don't mind what they look like... flavour is all) Your information and
advice is exactly what I was looking for)

For Good looks plus taste I would recommend Roncardo, F1 Hybid.

But for superb taste (and ugly fruit), Ananas Noir is Brilliant.
Eat it while it's dark green and wrinkled with a little salt and
balsamic vinegar. I gave a couple of plants to neighbours and they
never speak to me without mentioning them. Outstanding!

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 23-08-2009, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
I don't mind what they look like... flavour is all) Your information
and
advice is exactly what I was looking for)

For Good looks plus taste I would recommend Roncardo, F1 Hybid.

But for superb taste (and ugly fruit), Ananas Noir is Brilliant.
Eat it while it's dark green and wrinkled with a little salt and
balsamic vinegar. I gave a couple of plants to neighbours and they
never speak to me without mentioning them. Outstanding!

Thank you err.... ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹) I have never heard of these. Are
they widely available?

Old 23-08-2009, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:56:11 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
.. .
I don't mind what they look like... flavour is all) Your information
and
advice is exactly what I was looking for)

For Good looks plus taste I would recommend Roncardo, F1 Hybid.

But for superb taste (and ugly fruit), Ananas Noir is Brilliant.
Eat it while it's dark green and wrinkled with a little salt and
balsamic vinegar. I gave a couple of plants to neighbours and they
never speak to me without mentioning them. Outstanding!

Thank you err.... ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹) I have never heard of these. Are
they widely available?

They are

Google is your friend

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 23-08-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:56:11 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
. ..
I don't mind what they look like... flavour is all) Your information
and
advice is exactly what I was looking for)

For Good looks plus taste I would recommend Roncardo, F1 Hybid.

But for superb taste (and ugly fruit), Ananas Noir is Brilliant.
Eat it while it's dark green and wrinkled with a little salt and
balsamic vinegar. I gave a couple of plants to neighbours and they
never speak to me without mentioning them. Outstanding!

Thank you err.... ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹) I have never heard of these. Are
they widely available?

They are

Google is your friend

Thank you muchly)

Old 23-08-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 14:38:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
I don't mind what they look like... flavour is all) Your information
and
advice is exactly what I was looking for)

For Good looks plus taste I would recommend Roncardo, F1 Hybid.

But for superb taste (and ugly fruit), Ananas Noir is Brilliant.
Eat it while it's dark green and wrinkled with a little salt and
balsamic vinegar. I gave a couple of plants to neighbours and they
never speak to me without mentioning them. Outstanding!

Thank you err.... ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹) I have never heard of these. Are
they widely available?

They are

Google is your friend

Thank you muchly)

I should have said, "greenhouse advisable" for those two varieties.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 23-08-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:01:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 14:38:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
news:rrc295d7mnobohbfpt7b9a9dhknj2r05eb@4ax. com...
I don't mind what they look like... flavour is all) Your
information
and
advice is exactly what I was looking for)

For Good looks plus taste I would recommend Roncardo, F1 Hybid.

But for superb taste (and ugly fruit), Ananas Noir is Brilliant.
Eat it while it's dark green and wrinkled with a little salt and
balsamic vinegar. I gave a couple of plants to neighbours and they
never speak to me without mentioning them. Outstanding!

Thank you err.... ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹) I have never heard of these.
Are
they widely available?

They are

Google is your friend

Thank you muchly)

I should have said, "greenhouse advisable" for those two varieties.

Noted!

Memo: Must build greenhouse )

On your window box?