Old 31-08-2009, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coriander seeds

I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit? I
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

TIA

--
Kathy
A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit? I
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:13:56 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

Ahh ok. I didn't know! I don't like Indian food and so don't use Indian
Restaurants. When I lived in India, I sometimes didn't have a bloomin'
choice

Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

Ahh ok. I didn't know! I don't like Indian food and so don't use Indian
Restaurants. When I lived in India, I sometimes didn't have a bloomin'
choice

Was that in the days of the Raj?

mark

Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed?
Well both are possible. When used whole, it tends to be when you intend to remove them later, like if you were to use whole lumps of cinnamon bark. It is mainly used in powdered form. If you just crush them, then you get tough bits that can feel unpleasant in the mouth. Freshly powdered coriander seeds are much more fragrant that if left for any time. You can powder it with a pepper mill, though as it tends to be used by the dessert spoon full some powered appliance is less boring.

It is a common component of curry powder.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...
"Ophelia" wrote:
"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

It's Fennel seeds not Coriander that you chew as a digestive and mouth
freshener after a meal in India/Indian Restaurants and normally some are
sugar coated. You can by them in any good Indian grocers. (says he who shops
in Southall for spices etc)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote ...
"Ophelia" wrote:
"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

It's Fennel seeds not Coriander that you chew as a digestive and mouth
freshener after a meal in India/Indian Restaurants and normally some are
sugar coated. You can by them in any good Indian grocers. (says he who
shops in Southall for spices etc)

Ahh! I didn't try them so I only accepted what I was told Thanks, Bob.

Apologies to Kathy!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Martin" wrote ...
"Ophelia" wrote:
"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

It's Fennel seeds not Coriander that you chew as a digestive and mouth
freshener after a meal in India/Indian Restaurants and normally some are
sugar coated. You can by them in any good Indian grocers. (says he who shops
in Southall for spices etc)

That's correct Bob - it is fennel. Although chewing coriander leaves
is lovely, I don't think I'd like to chew the seeds. You are lucky
shopping in Southall. My husband and a couple of friends often eat
there when they are in the area.
--
June Hughes
Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:30:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote ...
"Ophelia" wrote:
"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer
bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers
chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

It's Fennel seeds not Coriander that you chew as a digestive and mouth
freshener after a meal in India/Indian Restaurants and normally some are
sugar coated. You can by them in any good Indian grocers. (says he who
shops in Southall for spices etc)

Ahh! I didn't try them so I only accepted what I was told Thanks, Bob.

Apologies to Kathy!

You get a mix, in Dutch Indian restaurants, which includes coriander and
cumin
seeds. Cumin seeds are also used in Leidse Kaas.

Glory be! I don't eat spicy stuff so I don't know about such all that

Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:02:09 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

Ahh ok. I didn't know! I don't like Indian food and so don't use Indian
Restaurants. When I lived in India, I sometimes didn't have a bloomin'
choice

McDs or starve )

Nahh we had a good cook, so not too many meals out

Old 01-09-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:44:20 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:02:09 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer
bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers
chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath
fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

Ahh ok. I didn't know! I don't like Indian food and so don't use
Indian
Restaurants. When I lived in India, I sometimes didn't have a bloomin'
choice

McDs or starve )

Nahh we had a good cook, so not too many meals out

Bangalore bangers and mash )

Not exactly

Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:13:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:44:20 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:84np955g5n7f95qrhv2ipt244q9p5280dv@4ax. com...

wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message
[...]

Bangalore cream crackers?

lol nooooooooooo. He used to cook north African food which was very nice

Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
Couscous?

I don't remember that, but he did make lovely food that was not heavily
spiced.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote ...
"Ophelia" wrote:
"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

It's Fennel seeds not Coriander that you chew as a digestive and mouth
freshener after a meal in India/Indian Restaurants and normally some are
sugar coated. You can by them in any good Indian grocers. (says he who
shops in Southall for spices etc)

Ahh! I didn't try them so I only accepted what I was told Thanks, Bob.

Apologies to Kathy!

No need to apologise, but could someone *please* answer my question on how
to prepare the seeds? I'm getting nowhere on my own!

--
Kathy
A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.

Growing coriander... Tracy United Kingdom 18 05-06-2004 11:36 PM
Growing coriander Abso United Kingdom 15 22-10-2003 10:48 PM
Coriander AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:57 PM
Tall and skinny coriander Nobby United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:56 PM
Prune coriander for more leaves? Frogleg Gardening 2 05-05-2003 09:08 AM