Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coriander seeds

Kathy wrote:
[]
No need to apologise, but could someone *please* answer my question on how
to prepare the seeds? I'm getting nowhere on my own!

OK, pity had.

The seeds still green are terrific added to soups, stews, etc, whole.

You can use the dried mature seeds ground in any sort of Asian sauce.
Whole cracked, use with honey for a glaze for poultry, this is a
classic French roast chicken recipe. Can use for steak instead of
cracked pepper, too.

Just go for it, they're very versatile. Also freeze well, no
special prep necessary.

Can be nice in dessert biscuits too, add well ground with rum
to sugar biscuits, very nice.

HTH

-E
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer bit? I
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

TIA

--
Kathy
A person who doesn't like cats must have been a mouse in a previous life.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"French-laurie" wrote in message

Kathy;863311 Wrote:
[...]

Thank you French-laurie and Enrey. I have also now found out that they
should be stored in an opaque, air-tight glass container, and that washing
before use apparently increases the aromatic quality.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

,
pan
fry pork fillet in butter & oil . Put at least a tablespoon per person
of coriander seeds into a plastic bag and gently break them / crush
them by rolling a rolling pin over the bag. Add the broken seeds to the
pan . When the meat is cooked , serve it with salad, squeeze lemon juice
and maybe a spoon of greek yoghurt. Afelia is the name of the dish.

Thank you French-laurie and Enrey. I have also now found out that they
should be stored in an opaque, air-tight glass container, and that washing
before use apparently increases the aromatic quality.

Washing the seeds, fragrant one? )

Both, cheeky :-}

I work in a shop - I wish a few more people would wash :-{

Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

Kathy wrote:

[quoted text muted]

No need to apologise, but could someone *please* answer my question on
how to prepare the seeds? I'm getting nowhere on my own!

--
Kathy

Dried they're good in dressings, I leave them whole, and crushed they are
also good when making your own favorite dressings over your greens. As
you say, they are just tasty to munch on and keep dried for years and
years.
--
signature goes here

Growing coriander... Tracy United Kingdom 18 05-06-2004 11:36 PM
Growing coriander Abso United Kingdom 15 22-10-2003 10:48 PM
Coriander AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:57 PM
Tall and skinny coriander Nobby United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:56 PM
Prune coriander for more leaves? Frogleg Gardening 2 05-05-2003 09:08 AM