Old 19-09-2009, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default GW....cuttings.

In last nights GW show a "leading expert" on cuttings gave a demonstration
on the way she took cuttings.
What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the leaf node.
Yet all previous advice I have ever seen and read on this matter has always
advised to cut just under the node ?
She had very high success rates whereas my propagation results have always
been quite hit-and-miss over the years,
What do others think of her technique ? Did I hear her incorrectly ?

vsop.

Old 19-09-2009, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:02:22 +0100, "vsop"
wrote:

In last nights GW show a "leading expert" on cuttings gave a demonstration
on the way she took cuttings.
What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the leaf node.
Yet all previous advice I have ever seen and read on this matter has
always
advised to cut just under the node ?
She had very high success rates whereas my propagation results have always
been quite hit-and-miss over the years,
What do others think of her technique ? Did I hear her incorrectly ?

AFAIR you were shown her cutting through the leaf node.
--

Martin

What part of "What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the
leaf node." do you not understand?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 19-09-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 19, 5:02*pm, "vsop" wrote:
In last nights GW show a "leading expert" on cuttings gave a demonstration
on the way she took cuttings.
What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the leaf node.
Yet all previous advice I have ever seen and read on this matter has always
advised to cut just under the node ?
She had very high success rates whereas my propagation results have always
been quite hit-and-miss over the years,
What do others think of her technique ? Did I hear her incorrectly ?

It's a bit simplistic recommending just one method of preparing
cuttings for all plants, because root formation can be initiated in
many ways depending upon the plant. Most soft cuttings will root
successfully if the cutting is taken with the node cut through so in a
way, she is correct. However, many plants will root as easily or even
faster from internodal cuttings and others require stem wounding to
nodal cuttings or even split nodal cuttings. It all depends upon the
plant you are propagating, the type of material being used (soft, semi-
ripe or hardwood) and the time of year the cutting is being taken.

Personally, when I'm taking nodal cuttings I always 'nick' the side of
the node, which is a variation of cutting right through the node.
When taking hardwood, internodal cuttings I wound the internode.
Depending upon the plant, I may use a combination of the above two
when taking semi-mature cuttings. It all depends upon what I'm
propping and when . I rarely get many failures, but then I've been
propagating plants for a very long time and have developed techniques
that work best for me and the composts that I use.

The advice given was not incorrect, but the technique demonstrated is
not necessarily the best for all plants at all times. HTH
Old 20-09-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"vsop" wrote in a message:
In last nights GW show a "leading expert" on cuttings gave a demonstration
on the way she took cuttings.
What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the leaf node.
Yet all previous advice I have ever seen and read on this matter has
always advised to cut just under the node ?
She had very high success rates whereas my propagation results have always
been quite hit-and-miss over the years,
What do others think of her technique ? Did I hear her incorrectly ?

vsop.

---
Why not try both methods of taking cuttings? Cut half through a node and the
rest just under a node. Use two pots labelling each pot with the method
used.
Experimentation is an important and fun part of gardening.

MD.

Old 20-09-2009, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you should have read the original post a little more thoroughly
Michael, he does say it was contrary to what he believed to be the correct
way and that is what surprised him.
Or are you just trying to have a little stir, although that's not your style
is it!

I.M.

Old 20-09-2009, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Isleman" Isleman@home wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

It came over to me as not knowing that you cut through the leaf node.
"THROUGH" the leaf node. Do you not understand that either?

Old 20-09-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In last nights GW show a "leading expert" on cuttings gave a demonstration
on the way she took cuttings.
What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the leaf node..
Yet all previous advice I have ever seen and read on this matter has
always
advised to cut just under the node ?
She had very high success rates whereas my propagation results have always
been quite hit-and-miss over the years,
What do others think of her technique ? Did I hear her incorrectly ?

AFAIR you were shown her cutting through the leaf node.
--

Martin

What part of *"What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the
leaf node." *do you not understand?

It seems quite easy to see what Martin was sounding out. But since you
missed it; The advice heard was matched by the visual footage.

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 20-09-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 19, 8:14*pm, DaveP wrote:
On Sep 19, 5:02*pm, "vsop" wrote:

In last nights GW show a "leading expert" on cuttings gave a demonstration
on the way she took cuttings.
What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the leaf node..
Yet all previous advice I have ever seen and read on this matter has always
advised to cut just under the node ?
She had very high success rates whereas my propagation results have always
been quite hit-and-miss over the years,
What do others think of her technique ? Did I hear her incorrectly ?

It's a bit simplistic recommending just one method of preparing
cuttings for all plants, because root formation can be initiated in
many ways depending upon the plant.

I didn't see the programme, but I'm now just wondering. Might
sticking to one angle of advice make it easier for a novice to
remember, or might the just such a level of 'precision' information
make the whole process seem more technical and so more complicated
than necessary?

*Most soft cuttings will root
successfully if the cutting is taken with the node cut through so in a
way, she is correct.

Was the 'science bit' explained? (Meristematic Zone;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meristem )

*However, many plants will root as easily or even
faster from internodal cuttings and others require stem wounding to
nodal cuttings or even split nodal cuttings. *It all depends upon the
plant you are propagating, the type of material being used (soft, semi-
ripe or hardwood) and the time of year the cutting is being taken.

Personally, when I'm taking nodal cuttings I always 'nick' the side of
the node,

yep, exposing the Meristematic Zone

Old 21-09-2009, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Derby wrote:
"vsop" wrote in a message:
In last nights GW show a "leading expert" on cuttings gave a
demonstration on the way she took cuttings.
What surprised me was that she said to always cut through the leaf node.
Yet all previous advice I have ever seen and read on this matter has
always advised to cut just under the node ?
She had very high success rates whereas my propagation results have
always been quite hit-and-miss over the years,
What do others think of her technique ? Did I hear her incorrectly ?

vsop.

---
Why not try both methods of taking cuttings? Cut half through a node and
the rest just under a node. Use two pots labelling each pot with the
method used.
Experimentation is an important and fun part of gardening.

MD.

Quite right - or else all we'd ever grow is old chestnuts...

It occurs to me that it might be possible to kill two birds with one stone
by using a diagonal cut through the node, so that the cutting is partly
through the node, and partly beneath it. Might be worth a bit of
experimentation.

--
Jeff

Old 21-09-2009, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

READ it again Michael, are you wearing your reading glasses?? He was saying
he always understood you DIDN'T cut through the leaf node and was surprised
she advised that.
Blimey this is worse than explaining things to my late senile Mother!!

Old 21-09-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Isleman" Isleman@home wrote in message

READ it again Michael, are you wearing your reading glasses?? He was
saying he always understood you DIDN'T cut through the leaf node and was
surprised she advised that.
Blimey this is worse than explaining things to my late senile Mother!!

Caulkhead?

Gatten and Lake?

:-((

Old 21-09-2009, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Isleman" Isleman@home wrote in message

READ it again Michael, are you wearing your reading glasses?? He was
saying he always understood you DIDN'T cut through the leaf node and was
surprised she advised that.
Blimey this is worse than explaining things to my late senile Mother!!

Caulkhead?

Gatten and Lake?

:-((

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Thankfully nowhere near that god forsaken place
Don't think I could tolerate the rattle of those clapped out old underground
trains, I imagine they fuddle the brain ;-)

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
[IBC] Suckers as cuttings Neal Ross Bonsai 2 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
succulent cuttings Iris Cohen Gardening 1 10-02-2003 09:25 AM
cactus cuttings flavrcntry Gardening 2 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cuttings, and trading roses Suzanne in CA Roses 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM