Old 22-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered User

Default Ivy... please help!

Please help...

I need to grow some trailing ivy to use as part of a floral arrangement in May next year.
Preferably the ivy needs to trail at least 2 feet in length, have fairly small leaves and the leaves want to be quite close together so that it doesn't look to straggly!
What type of ivy should I go for and how is best to grow it now so that I have what I need in May?

Hope you can help

Foxyrockmeister
Old 22-09-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-22 20:32:32 +0100, Foxyrockmeister
said:

Please help...

I need to grow some trailing ivy to use as part of a floral arrangement
in May next year.
Preferably the ivy needs to trail at least 2 feet in length, have
fairly small leaves and the leaves want to be quite close together so
that it doesn't look to straggly!
What type of ivy should I go for and how is best to grow it now so that
I have what I need in May?

Hope you can help

Foxyrockmeister

Ivy can take some time to get going, so can you use pots pushed into
the arrangement - does it have to be cut? If the former, you can
probably buy some fairly well developed plants that don't cost a
fortune. Do you have a florist's wholesaler near you? If push came to
shove, could you use - gasp - artificial?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyrockmeister View Post
Please help...

I need to grow some trailing ivy to use as part of a floral arrangement in May next year.
Preferably the ivy needs to trail at least 2 feet in length, have fairly small leaves and the leaves want to be quite close together so that it doesn't look to straggly!
What type of ivy should I go for and how is best to grow it now so that I have what I need in May?

Hope you can help

Foxyrockmeister
Before setting out to try and grow it in time, check round your friends, see who has ivy in their garden already, and earmark any that look as if they will provide what you need. That will mean that they will not be pruned in the winter/early spring
Old 23-09-2009, 03:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Please help...

I need to grow some trailing ivy to use as part of a floral arrangement
in May next year.
Preferably the ivy needs to trail at least 2 feet in length, have
fairly small leaves and the leaves want to be quite close together so
that it doesn't look to straggly!
What type of ivy should I go for and how is best to grow it now so that
I have what I need in May?

Hope you can help

Foxyrockmeister

You are welcome to come round my place and take all the ivy you want off my
bottom fence. Two types, one standards and one variegated. I wish I'd never
put the damned stuff down there now.

jim, Northampton

Old 23-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm[_2_] View Post
Please help...

I need to grow some trailing ivy to use as part of a floral arrangement
in May next year.
Preferably the ivy needs to trail at least 2 feet in length, have
fairly small leaves and the leaves want to be quite close together so
that it doesn't look to straggly!
What type of ivy should I go for and how is best to grow it now so that
I have what I need in May?

Hope you can help

Foxyrockmeister

You are welcome to come round my place and take all the ivy you want off my
bottom fence. Two types, one standards and one variegated. I wish I'd never
put the damned stuff down there now.

jim, Northampton
Hi, Foxyrockmeister, further to the above, now would be a good time to contact all your local plant growers (not garden centres) as you may be able to pick some up really cheap given that all us plant growers had such a terrible August, for example I am selling off Hedera helix variegata, not trained on canes but bushy and about 18ins. long for only 50p each. At the risk of upsetting some of 'professional nurserymen' on this site I would suggest that you visit your largest local car boot sale and talk to the plant man as at this time of year we are all having sales, unless of course you live in Cornwall and you can
come and see me at Rosudgeon!
Regards Lannrman.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
IVY, please help Amanda Izzard United Kingdom 9 20-05-2004 06:13 PM