Old 16-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Amanda Izzard

Default IVY, please help

I am having a big problem with ivy,the last tennant planted it and now it is
growing out of control, I have tried weed killers from homebase and nothing
seems to kill it off...Does ne one have ne ideas at all??

Please help
thanks
mand xx

Old 17-05-2004, 01:11 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Amanda Izzard" wrote in message
I am having a big problem with ivy,the last tennant planted it and now it

is
growing out of control, I have tried weed killers from homebase and

nothing
seems to kill it off...Does ne one have ne ideas at all??

I have a similar problem - the ivy is endemic and also maigrates from
neighbours gardens.

It is destroying fences, and generally being a pain in the shrubs.

I don't like pulling it of fences, because of the potential for structural
damage.

A spray on weedkiller which is effective (given a windless day which is very
rare by the coast) would be very useful :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Old 19-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:28:53 +0100, "Amanda Izzard"
wrote:

I am having a big problem with ivy,the last tennant planted it and now it is
growing out of control, I have tried weed killers from homebase and nothing
seems to kill it off...Does ne one have ne ideas at all??

Pull, cut, mow, and repeat as necessary. The leaves are too tough and
waxy to absorb weedkillers. Even Glyphosate has little or no effect
except on the smallest and tenderest of emerging shoots.
Old 19-05-2004, 02:15 PM
redclay

wrote:

I am having a big problem with ivy,the last tennant planted it and now it

is
growing out of control, I have tried weed killers from homebase and

nothing
seems to kill it off...Does ne one have ne ideas at all??

Pull, cut, mow, and repeat as necessary. The leaves are too tough and
waxy to absorb weedkillers. Even Glyphosate has little or no effect
except on the smallest and tenderest of emerging shoots. This is true and

the new shoots are what you spray and spray each and every week till the
stuff is gone. On the young tender leaves janitorial strength ammonia will
kill them as well

Old 19-05-2004, 05:14 PM
David W.E. Roberts

wrote:

I am having a big problem with ivy,the last tennant planted it and now

it
is
growing out of control, I have tried weed killers from homebase and

nothing
seems to kill it off...Does ne one have ne ideas at all??

Pull, cut, mow, and repeat as necessary. The leaves are too tough and
waxy to absorb weedkillers. Even Glyphosate has little or no effect
except on the smallest and tenderest of emerging shoots. This is true

and
the new shoots are what you spray and spray each and every week till the
stuff is gone. On the young tender leaves janitorial strength ammonia

will
kill them as well

Seem to recall a method where you put Tumbleweed in a plastic bag then tie
this over the end of the shoot.

Anyone tried this with ivy?

Old 19-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes

Seem to recall a method where you put Tumbleweed in a plastic bag

Oi! That's cruelty to urglers!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-05-2004, 11:18 PM
ned

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Amanda Izzard" wrote in message
I am having a big problem with ivy,the last tennant planted it and

now it
is
growing out of control, I have tried weed killers from homebase

and
nothing
seems to kill it off...Does ne one have ne ideas at all??

If you have access to the main stem, saw it off as close to the ground
as possible.
I've used that technique with complete success several times. 'Never
had a regrowth from the stump.

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 19-05-2004, 11:20 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes

Seem to recall a method where you put Tumbleweed in a plastic bag

Oi! That's cruelty to urglers!

Only if you tie the top off :-)))

Old 20-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

I am having a big problem with ivy,the last tennant planted it and now it is
growing out of control, I have tried weed killers from homebase and nothing
seems to kill it off...Does ne one have ne ideas at all??

Pull, cut, mow, and repeat as necessary. The leaves are too tough and
waxy to absorb weedkillers. Even Glyphosate has little or no effect
except on the smallest and tenderest of emerging shoots.

I spray ivy with full-strength Root-Out or similar stump eradicator
containing ammonium sulphamate (this is NOT the same as ammonium
sulphate). It's the most effective thing I've found.

--
Chris

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
Ivy... please help! Foxyrockmeister United Kingdom 4 23-09-2009 10:14 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM