Old 27-09-2009, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Officially a drought?

Isn't 3 weeks without rain officially a drought in England? If so,
this may be the first I've encountered since I moved here in 1997!
Today it is 3 weeks since it rained here. We had customers in from
Norfolk today who said they've had no rain all summer. Somehow, we
kept our hands from around their necks! This is the most beautiful
Indian Summer ever experienced, by me, here. Tonight, Ray came into
the kitchen, dragged me away from a hot stove (!) and took me outside
to see a simply awe-inspiring sunset of pinks and golds. This morning
the air was cold and crisp and dry, like a really good wine. It made
one feel better just for being outside the front door and inhaling it.
This weather is gorgeous beyond description.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-09-2009, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Isn't 3 weeks without rain officially a drought in England? If so, this
may be the first I've encountered since I moved here in 1997! Today it is
3 weeks since it rained here. We had customers in from Norfolk today who
said they've had no rain all summer. Somehow, we kept our hands from
around their necks! This is the most beautiful Indian Summer ever
experienced, by me, here. Tonight, Ray came into the kitchen, dragged me
away from a hot stove (!) and took me outside to see a simply
awe-inspiring sunset of pinks and golds. This morning the air was cold and
crisp and dry, like a really good wine. It made one feel better just for
being outside the front door and inhaling it. This weather is gorgeous
beyond description.
--

It is true that we've not seen a lot of rain this summer here in Norfolk,
two or three very heavy showers which didn't do that much good.

I've found this definition of drought:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature.../drought.shtml

mark

Old 28-09-2009, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mark wrote:

It is true that we've not seen a lot of rain this summer here in Norfolk,
two or three very heavy showers which didn't do that much good.

I've found this definition of drought:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature.../drought.shtml

Which is a joke to anyone familiar with any location where droughts
actually happen.

But the serious lack of rain here in the east has caused me to lose
much of this years' vegetable production :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-09-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 28, 9:03*am, wrote:
In article ,

mark wrote:

It is true that we've not seen a lot of rain this summer here in Norfolk,
two or three very heavy showers which didn't do that much good.

I've found this definition of drought:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature.../drought.shtml

Which is a joke to anyone familiar with any location where droughts
actually happen.

But the serious lack of rain here in the east has caused me to lose
much of this years' vegetable production :-(

We had the wettest something or other on record this "Summer" in
Dublin (July or August or some time span that I cannot remember). We
also lost a lot of vegetables. They just sat there in the mud and
sulked.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-09-2009, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In article ,
mark wrote:

It is true that we've not seen a lot of rain this summer here in Norfolk,
two or three very heavy showers which didn't do that much good.

I've found this definition of drought:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature.../drought.shtml

Which is a joke to anyone familiar with any location where droughts
actually happen.

Well that is covered on the page:

Different parts of the world have different climates, so each country
has its own definition of a drought.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Old 28-09-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-28 00:22:39 +0100, "mark" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

That's a useful site and does make the point about different strokes
etc! Thanks Mark. Personally, I'd say we're in a drought. ;-)

Old 28-09-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Waves from Norfolk..

It's very, very dry here. The stream at the end of the garden is lowest I've
seen it in the many years we've lived here. It's barely a trickle.

Old 28-09-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-09-28 00:22:39 +0100, "mark" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It says we can expect more droughts - but can't define what a drought
is.

--
hugh

Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-09-28 00:22:39 +0100, "mark" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Nowadays, the only factor which determines whether we have a drought or
not is winter rainfall. Lack of rain at any other time of the year is
expected. Very little of any rain which does fall manages to permeate
as far as the aquifers since trees, plants and evaporation get it
first. On the other hand, winter rainfall flows freely into the
aquifers and is critical to maintaining adequate natural supplies of
water throughout the year.

The Environment Agency historically doesn't consider a drought to be
threatened until or unless we have had two successive dry winters.
There is information on their website about how they decide what
constitutes a dry winter: it's a calculation based not on zero rainfall
but on below average rainfall. If we get two in a row, we can expect
water restrictions, hosepipe bans etc as soon as the second winter
turns to spring.

Alarmist as the EA often is (it likes to make headlines), you won't
find any notes of concern about dry summers (or springs or autumns) on
their website.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-09-28 00:22:39 +0100, "mark" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Still no rain here so, effectively, for us it's a drought and the
borehole is being put to good use.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stan The Man writes
Lack of rain at any other time of the year is expected

After the last three summers, I've ceased to expect lack of rain at
*any* time of the year.

In some parts of the country, the summer has been spent removing trays
from under pots to prevent them becoming waterlogged. I wouldn't mind,
but this is the third summer on the trot like this.
--
Kay
Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-09-28 00:22:39 +0100, "mark" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It has rained here in ZH ever since you mentioned the D word.

Whoops! Grovel.