Old 28-09-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Caring for winter savory

I have a small winter savory plant in a pot out of doors. It doesn't
look very happy. What should I do with it?
--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn't be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /
Old 28-09-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Frederick Williams writes
I have a small winter savory plant in a pot out of doors. It doesn't
look very happy. What should I do with it?

Difficult to tell unless you can tell us in what way it doesn't look
very happy!

It will probably do better in a well drained soil in a sunny spot, and
is perfectly capable of surviving outdoors over winter. Generally plants
do better in the ground than in pots. Pots are for if you need to move
the plants around (eg to take them inside in the winter, or move them
into an obscure spot while they're not flowering) or because you can't
provide their preferred soil conditions in your garden.
--
Kay
Old 28-09-2009, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Frederick Williams writes
I have a small winter savory plant in a pot out of doors. It doesn't
look very happy. What should I do with it?

Difficult to tell unless you can tell us in what way it doesn't look
very happy!

It will probably do better in a well drained soil in a sunny spot,

Maybe some gravel mixed in with the potting compost would help.

Old 28-09-2009, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Generally plants do better in the ground than in pots. Pots are for if
you need to move the plants around (eg to take them inside in the
winter, or move them into an obscure spot while they're not flowering)
or because you can't provide their preferred soil conditions in your
garden.

We saw a really pretty blue flowered plant at Waterperry last week. The
'gardener' didn't know what it was, the office didn't know when she took
a photo and phoned it back to them and she suggested either thyme or
rosemary.
Eventually a lovely old lady walked past and said casually that it was a
blue savory. Very pretty and most of the group i was with have resolved
to try and buy a plant!
Needless to say, none in the garden centre attached to the gardens as
ever.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-09-2009, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , K
writes

Generally plants do better in the ground than in pots. Pots are for
if you need to move the plants around (eg to take them inside in the
winter, or move them into an obscure spot while they're not flowering)
or because you can't provide their preferred soil conditions in your garden.

We saw a really pretty blue flowered plant at Waterperry last week. The
'gardener' didn't know what it was, the office didn't know when she
took a photo and phoned it back to them and she suggested either thyme
or rosemary.
Eventually a lovely old lady walked past and said casually that it was
a blue savory. Very pretty and most of the group i was with have
resolved to try and buy a plant!
Needless to say, none in the garden centre attached to the gardens as
ever.

Interseting. Mine is white flowered - I didn't know it came with blue
flowers. Hyssop is what I used to grow for really intensely deep blue
flowers.

--
Kay

Old 29-09-2009, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

We saw a really pretty blue flowered plant at Waterperry last week. The
'gardener' didn't know what it was, the office didn't know when she took
a photo and phoned it back to them and she suggested either thyme or
rosemary.
Eventually a lovely old lady walked past and said casually that it was a
blue savory. Very pretty and most of the group i was with have resolved
to try and buy a plant!
Needless to say, none in the garden centre attached to the gardens as
ever.

Try hyssop. I don't think that there IS a blue winter savory. I grow
both, and they look fairly similar, though the former is more upright.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2009, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Frederick Williams writes
I have a small winter savory plant in a pot out of doors. It doesn't
look very happy. What should I do with it?

Difficult to tell unless you can tell us in what way it doesn't look
very happy!

It has about six sprigs one of which is dying. Since the rest looks ok
(ish) it may simply be that I damaged that sprig while transplanting it.

It will probably do better in a well drained soil in a sunny spot,

The label says plant in well-drained soil _and_ water well before
planting and keep moist. I dunno, my dad was a gardener but I haven't
inherited his gardeningness.

Old 29-09-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Interseting. Mine is white flowered - I didn't know it came with blue
flowers. Hyssop is what I used to grow for really intensely deep blue
flowers.

Too low for hyssop and it didn't have the same leaf. It smelled a cross
between rosemary and thyme and looked like a cross between them as well.
Old 29-09-2009, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Frederick Williams
writes

Mine is Satureja montana and will (let's hope) have a rose-purple
flower.

This was blue like er, um, lithodora, Much bluer than Rosemary. I am
going to the herb nursery at Sonning Common tomorrow so hopefully they
can tell us. i think i have a photo on my camera still, as well.

Janet