Old 19-08-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default I have some holes in my garden soil.

I have some holes in my garden soil.
They are about 1/2 inch in diameter.
By the amount of the soil piles along side I'd guess they are not very deep.
I saw an insect by one.
It had orange legs and an some orange and some black near the end of it's
body.
Maybe it looked like a big wasp.

It was filling one of the holes.
I watched as it moved dirt and even pebbles almost 1/4 inch long into the
hole until it was filled.

There are other holes nearby.

What is the insect?

How do I get rid of it and if it buried eggs - the eggs.

Thanks for any help

Old 19-08-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

You don't say where you are located. But if you are in an area that has
Cicadas right now, the insect could be a Wasp known as a Cicada Killer. Do a
goolge image search for Cicada Killer.
Marilyn

Old 19-08-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:42:29 -0400, " Netter"
wrote:

I have some holes in my garden soil.
They are about 1/2 inch in diameter.
By the amount of the soil piles along side I'd guess they are not very deep.
I saw an insect by one.
It had orange legs and an some orange and some black near the end of it's
body.
Maybe it looked like a big wasp.

It sounds like a cicada killer wasp. They mind their own business and
do not form colonies, although multiple individuals will make their
own burrows in a favorable location. They kill large insects and bury
them along with an egg so that the larva has something to feed on.

Old 19-08-2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I have some holes in my garden soil.
They are about 1/2 inch in diameter.
By the amount of the soil piles along side I'd guess they are not very deep.
I saw an insect by one.
It had orange legs and an some orange and some black near the end of it's
body.
Maybe it looked like a big wasp.

It was filling one of the holes.
I watched as it moved dirt and even pebbles almost 1/4 inch long into the
hole until it was filled.

There are other holes nearby.

What is the insect?

How do I get rid of it and if it buried eggs - the eggs.

Thanks for any help

Probably a wasp of some kind. Dig up the eggs if you want, but why?
why not leave them alone. They aren't hurting anything, except for
some pest insects they harvest for food for their young. Wasps
harvest grubs from my lawn and don't bother me, except when I step on
them with bare feet.
Old 19-08-2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I have some holes in my garden soil.
They are about 1/2 inch in diameter.
By the amount of the soil piles along side I'd guess they are not very deep.
I saw an insect by one.
It had orange legs and an some orange and some black near the end of it's
body.
Maybe it looked like a big wasp.

It was filling one of the holes.
I watched as it moved dirt and even pebbles almost 1/4 inch long into the
hole until it was filled.

There are other holes nearby.

What is the insect?

How do I get rid of it and if it buried eggs - the eggs.

Thanks for any help

guessing the great golden digger wasp...
http://www.floridanature.org/species...x_ichneumoneus
should be a non issue for you as far as needing to get rid of it.
Keeping the area wet will encourage them to nest elsewhere.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Old 20-08-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

I should have mentioned that this is central New York.

The holes are in part of the lawn that needs reseeding.

Giving the above do you still think I should leave them alone?

Thanks

Old 20-08-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:26:51 -0400, " Netter"
wrote:

I should have mentioned that this is central New York.

The holes are in part of the lawn that needs reseeding.

Giving the above do you still think I should leave them alone?

Thanks

Yes. If that area is attractive to wasps, then it will probably
remain attractive to wasps. If you rid yourself of the present batch,
more will show up, until you rid the entire area of them. Solitary
bees and wasps, to my knowledge, do not defend their nests of spots
where they have laid eggs, so they shouldn't present an ongoing
problem except for the holes they dig. As I mentioned before, don't
step on them with bare feet.
Old 20-08-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Treatment may depend on what kind of wasp you have. I live outside of
Philadelphia. One of the local news stations had a segment on Cicada
killers.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=4446928
My sister is having a problem in her yard with them and as Lar suggested in
a previous message she is keeping the area wet to discourage them. She has a
neighbor whose lawn is mostly brown because of them.
If it another type of wasp that is nesting in the ground, using a pesticide
( I prefer organic) in the evening when they are all in the nest will help
to decrease or eliminate the wasp population.
Good Luck,
Marilyn