Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soil sifter

If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these and
it performs really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits from
home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied customer.

There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and arm
ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the electrically
powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these and it performs
really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits from
home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied
customer.

There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

To use once a year???????????????

Stowage ??????? :-((((((((((((((((

Something else to find room for :-(

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin" wrote ...
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and arm
ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the electrically
powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these and it performs
really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits from
home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied
customer.

There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

The Video shows it working soil that is dry, sandy and dusty and I wonder
how it would work on soil that isn't.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-10-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 11 Oct, 17:04, Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these and
it performs really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits from
home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied customer.

There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

And if you've got the kind of 'soil' that if you sieve it there's nowt
left......................................?
Actually you don't need to get too excited about a few or indeed a lot
of stones in your soil - it's a total waste of time trying to get them
out. I learned this many years ago when working with a bunch of
sicilians who knew all about stony soil - and they knew how to grow
stuff.
If I can, I bust up very stony ground with a micro digger (goes
through an 80cm gate), then rotavate and work in any organic material
I can lay my hands on, be a bit more generous where significant long
term plants are going to be planted

Rod
Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these
and it performs really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits
from home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied
customer.
There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

Bit pricey for my pocket!!! :-(

Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Oct, 18:22, "~Brian~" wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these
and it performs really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits
from home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied
customer.
There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

Bit pricey for my pocket!!! :-(- Hide quoted text -

For that price you could go to B&Q and buy well over 5250cu ft of
multi pourpous compost, or almost 6000cu ft if you get pensioners
discount on a wednesday.
And I have no conection to the afore said firm.
David Hill
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and arm
ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the electrically
powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these and it performs
really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits from
home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied
customer.

There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

To use once a year???????????????

I've got a lot of work for it right now

Stowage ??????? :-((((((((((((((((

What the problem it's not that big!

Something else to find room for :-(

Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

~Brian~ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these
and it performs really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits
from home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied
customer.
There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

Bit pricey for my pocket!!! :-(

I did not pay anything like the list price for it!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
On 11 Oct, 18:22, "~Brian~" wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. I choose to do it my way

Sorry to have bothered to pass on the info.

Bob
Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~Brian~" writes:

Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these
and it performs really well.

Bit pricey for my pocket!!! :-(

In best Heath-Robinson fashion the couple of occasions over the years
I've needed to do a lot of sieving I've arranged a wobbly stand for my
home made sieve, which is a wooden frame with suitable sized chicken
wire nailed on, and then strapped my orbital sander to it. The sander
can be locked on and the speed adjusted to hit the resonant frequency
of the lashup.

Anthony

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
"~Brian~" writes:

Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and
arm ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the
electrically powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these
and it performs really well.

Bit pricey for my pocket!!! :-(

In best Heath-Robinson fashion the couple of occasions over the years
I've needed to do a lot of sieving I've arranged a wobbly stand for my
home made sieve, which is a wooden frame with suitable sized chicken
wire nailed on, and then strapped my orbital sander to it. The sander
can be locked on and the speed adjusted to hit the resonant frequency
of the lashup.

Anthony

I made this -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Out of junk, and a trolley which once belonged to B&Q. It works well as I
shovel stuff in and a slave turns it by hand.

Steve

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
On 11 Oct, 18:22, "~Brian~" wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

Don't let them get you down Bob. We all need a few toys in the
garden, they make life more interesting. Me, when I need one I
shall probably make something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SUCI...eature=related

Mike

Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" writes:

wrote in message ...

In best Heath-Robinson fashion the couple of occasions over the years
I've needed to do a lot of sieving I've arranged a wobbly stand for my
home made sieve, which is a wooden frame with suitable sized chicken
wire nailed on, and then strapped my orbital sander to it. The sander
can be locked on and the speed adjusted to hit the resonant frequency
of the lashup.

I made this -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Out of junk, and a trolley which once belonged to B&Q. It works well
as I shovel stuff in and a slave turns it by hand.

Bah, far too neat. I'm deficient in the handy slave department too so
motorisation is necessary.

Anthony

Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
If you have stony soil and want to sieve it without the back ache and arm
ache of hand sieving, then I can thoroughly recommend the electrically
powered Scheppach RS400. I've just bought one of these and it performs
really well.

I can also imaging that it will be good for sieving any woody bits from
home compost.

Sieved soil drops out the bottom, into a barrow if you wish, and the
stones, roots etc are ejected out the end into a bucket or barrow.

I have no commercial interest in Scheppach, just a very satisfied
customer.

There is video of the thing in action he-

http://files.recycleworks.co.uk/sifter-video.htm

Bob

Quite a few home-made examples on Youtube eg., this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-Td...ayer_embedded#

mark

Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
news

[...]

Then of course there are the manumatic/womanumatic ones as shown here ......
http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk...d_Riddles.html