Old 17-10-2009, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Tomatoes still flowering

Bob Hobden wrote:
Still collecting 2-3lb tomatoes a day, which isn't bad for
mid October, I must say.

Ours out on the allotment are also growing again and flowering, not for long
I fear.

I put a few tomatoes out on the allotment just because I ran out
of room in the greenhouses (I ran the plant stall at the school
summer fete, and I ended up taking home more plants than I took,
even after donating a huge amount to the school gardening club
- at one point I had an entire double table of tomato plants!
After a month of feeding them to the chickens (in hindsight, the
idea of training them to eat my tomato plants may not have been
my best ever!) I gave up and planted a bunch in a gap on the
sweetcorn patch.)

They weren't really treated very nicely - I didn't stake them
or side-shoot them or feed them or anything, and it's kind of
obvious. :-}

Picked 18 lbs of ripe Toms last week and there will be more if they don't
get frosted.

I discovered a whole pile of red tomatoes that I'd previously
not noticed yesterday! Greenhouse2 (actually the greenhouse of
the lady whose garden backs onto ours who has kindly allowed
our tomatoes to squat on her premises) is a bit of a jungle
still. I keep trying to cut it back and failing miserably.
Old 18-10-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 16, 11:50*pm, wrote:
I still have 2 greenhouses full of ripening tomatoes, but the
plants all seem to be busy flowering again. *Not just one or
two varieties, but all 10 or so varieties are at it!
Is it just the odd late summer we've been having confusing the
poor things? *And is it worth letting them flower, or should I
be snipping them back to encourage the green fruit to ripen on
the vine?
I don't remember having such vigorous growth at this time of
year before!

Lucky you, mine are all outside, a row of about 15 plants laden with
fruit and now totally dead due to a vicious frost. If I were in your
position, I would nip out.

Judith
Old 18-10-2009, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 11:02:28 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Oct 16, 11:50*pm, wrote:
I still have 2 greenhouses full of ripening tomatoes, but the
plants all seem to be busy flowering again. *Not just one or
two varieties, but all 10 or so varieties are at it!
Is it just the odd late summer we've been having confusing the
poor things? *And is it worth letting them flower, or should I
be snipping them back to encourage the green fruit to ripen on
the vine?
I don't remember having such vigorous growth at this time of
year before!

Lucky you, mine are all outside, a row of about 15 plants laden with
fruit and now totally dead due to a vicious frost. If I were in your
position, I would nip out.

Judith

We were pretty close to a frost last night, apparently - it certainly
felt very brisk this morning!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-10-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 11:02:28 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Oct 16, 11:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

The sun is shining here, brilliant blue sky but not as warm as it
usually is at this time of year. Isn't it a bit early for you to have
a near frost in Devon this early?

Judith
Old 18-10-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 11:40:25 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-10-18 11:02:28 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Oct 16, 11:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

It is, though it can happen. Some trees are turning quite quickly now
and leaves are falling more. Some years, the trees are still green on
Guy Fawkes night.
--
Sacha