Old 19-10-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barely On Topic.

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:29:34 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp
wrote:

err, pendant coming;
Its Matt not Mac (though that might be his real name for all I know)
easily the best, most consistent and admirable cartoonist : satirist
I've ever seen.

So why wasn't his cartoon in the least bit funny?
Old 19-10-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

err, pendant coming;
Its Matt not Mac (though that might be his real name for all I know)
easily the best, most consistent and admirable cartoonist : satirist
I've ever seen.

So why wasn't his cartoon in the least bit funny?

Maybe cartoons are more about satire than comedy?

mark

Old 20-10-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

I suspect that, since the gardener perceives that government has a great
deal to do with prettying up gardens these days (re claims for such), he
could do the job as well as any MP .. perhaps better than most.

Spider

Old 20-10-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 20, 6:18*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

I suspect that, since the gardener perceives that government has a great
deal to do with prettying up gardens these days (re claims for such), he
could do the job as well as any MP .. perhaps better than most.

Spider

And all whilst just pretending to work. Yes, I did wonder about that
too. (I presume you meant doing the MP job)
Old 20-10-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
err, pendant coming;
Its Matt not Mac (though that might be his real name for all I know)
easily the best, most consistent and admirable cartoonist : satirist
I've ever seen.

So why wasn't his cartoon in the least bit funny?

The" best" does not mean always up to the mark.

Old 24-10-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 20, 10:33*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

On Oct 20, 6:18 pm, "Spider" wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

I suspect that, since the gardener perceives that government has a great
deal to do with prettying up gardens these days (re claims for such), he
could do the job as well as any MP .. perhaps better than most.

Spider

And all whilst just pretending to work. Yes, I did wonder about that
too. (I presume you meant doing the MP job)

Quite so. :~)

Spider

Curiously, it looks like the same gardener features again in a follow
up cartoon;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...033&cc=6248709
Here he is supposedly using a the hard leaf rake, which, had he
actually used it, would certainly have the odd leaf suck in it, not to
mention that there would be a small pile of leaves nearby.
I'll assume he hadn't even yet got started when the MP approaches.
The gardener also looks rather forlorn, poor chap.
Old 24-10-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message

On Oct 20, 6:18 pm, "Spider" wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message

[...]

So would you if you thought you'd got to hand back £3000 which you'd
been paid! LOL

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-10-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message

On Oct 20, 6:18 pm, "Spider" wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message

[...]

True. Even more so considering that the gardener will not get to
"keep" the properties, garden et all whilst the MP will.

Somewhere in there is a comparison with MPs and bankers who make huge
errors, get our hard earned monies to correct them, but get to keep
their own, and then some.

barely on topic: have they lost their minds?! [email protected] Orchids 9 18-09-2008 12:40 AM
barely straw *muffin* Ponds 5 15-07-2003 01:32 AM
barely straw *muffin* Ponds 0 13-07-2003 06:46 PM
EM Bokashi (Was: A Biological Apocalypse Barely Averted) Brian Sandle Gardening 0 11-07-2003 01:56 AM
Korean Spice Bush Barely Blooms B.R. Jones Gardening 1 23-06-2003 03:32 PM