Old 18-10-2009, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barely On Topic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?
Old 18-10-2009, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

Where have the gardener's 'wages' been coming from???????

The gardener has just been 'an expense'.

;-)))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 18-10-2009, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Where have the gardener's 'wages' been coming from???????

The gardener has just been 'an expense'.

A 'claimable' one of course ;-)

;-)))

Old 18-10-2009, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 18, 2:00*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
Where have the gardener's 'wages' been coming from???????

The gardener has just been 'an expense'.

A 'claimable' one of course ;-)

;-)))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

hmm, interesting, but I'm still not there.
You see, in your explanation there is no scandal, so the 'scandal' of
legitimate garden expenses will not be standing 'against' said PM
Old 18-10-2009, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 18, 1:31*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
hmm, interesting, but I'm still not there.
You see, in your explanation there is no scandal, so the 'scandal' of
legitimate garden expenses will not be standing 'against' said PM- Hide quoted text -

Try asking the ducks - they'll explain it to you if you offer them a
125% mortgage on their new house.

Old 18-10-2009, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 18, 2:52*pm, moghouse wrote:
On Oct 18, 1:31*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

hmm, interesting, but I'm still not there.
You see, in your explanation there is no scandal, so the 'scandal' of
legitimate garden expenses will not be standing 'against' said PM- Hide quoted text -

Try asking the ducks - they'll explain it to you if you offer them a
125% mortgage on their new house.

Hmm, no, thanks, but that's not working for me either.
Perhaps I'm looking to deeply here, but I notice that the gardener is
clipping the air.
I say the air because he is in front of the wheelbarrow and if you
look at his posture, he's not trying to lean forward to be able to
reach the plant that is behind the wall, which is behind the barrow.
But alas, that isn't helping me much either.
Old 18-10-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"aquachimp" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

Where have the gardener's 'wages' been coming from???????

The gardener has just been 'an expense'.

;-)))

Is this a just a play on words - 'stand against you' meaning ' be a negative
point with the electorate' instead of 'campaign as a candidate'?
Or have I also completely missed the point?
Well, 'has decided to stand against you' doesn't seem to fit this play on
words.
So unless it is a reference to e.g. a play such as 'The Chiltern Hundereds'
it doesn't seem logical to me.
Or is this some topical reference to independant candidates and sleaze that
I haven't noticed, not reading the papers much these days?

Old 18-10-2009, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 12:50:09 +0100, aquachimp
said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

The expenses scandal - MPs charging huge amounts to expenses for the
costs of maintaining their gardens. I suppose the gardener thinks he
might as well get both salaries. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-10-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 13:31:23 +0100, aquachimp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...k-island-farce

Old 18-10-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 18, 2:46*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

Hmm, no, thanks, but that's not working for me either.
Perhaps I'm looking to deeply here, ....... (snip)
But alas, that isn't helping me much either.

My first lesson in scriptwriting was, "If you have to explain it then
it ain't funny." Be content.

Old 18-10-2009, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 13:31:23 +0100, aquachimp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...nses-duck-isla...
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Aaaaaaaaaaaah; I didn't know about gardening expenses in general.
Still, the sums now allowable (£1000/yr) seem rather modest. I mean,
if you have an office or factory, how much of ground maintenance can
you put against your taxes? The lot, I would have though and that
would surely work out at more than £20 /week.
But back to the cartoon; It's the, dare I say, gardener-in-pretence-
of-working that is supposedly going to stand against the MP, not the
garden, nor its costs. So is the link supposed to be between the non-
work of an MP and the non-work of a gardener? Does the cartoonist
think professional gardeners make their monies as easily as MPs?
Old 18-10-2009, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 12:50:09 +0100, aquachimp
said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

The expenses scandal - MPs charging huge amounts to expenses for the costs
of maintaining their gardens. I suppose the gardener thinks he might as
well get both salaries. ;-)

Could be - however as stated elsewhere if it requires this amount of
analysis to try to explain it then it is not particularly funny.
Certainly not self-explanatory.

Old 18-10-2009, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 18:36:58 +0100, aquachimp

On 2009-10-18 13:31:23 +0100, aquachimp
said:

On Oct 18, 2:00*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

I think Mac didn't draw that cartoon to amuse you. ;-)

Old 18-10-2009, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 12:50:09 +0100, aquachimp
said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

The expenses scandal - MPs charging huge amounts to expenses for the
costs of maintaining their gardens. I suppose the gardener thinks he
might as well get both salaries. ;-)

Could be - however as stated elsewhere if it requires this amount of
analysis to try to explain it then it is not particularly funny.
Certainly not self-explanatory.

Like all humour, it depends on who 'gets it'. I thought it was fairly
obviously a jibe at MPs over-claiming etc. but maybe we should say 'as
long as *they* get it'.....it's worked.

Old 19-10-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-18 18:36:58 +0100, aquachimp

On 2009-10-18 13:31:23 +0100, aquachimp
said:

On Oct 18, 2:00*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

err, pendant coming;
Its Matt not Mac (though that might be his real name for all I know)
easily the best, most consistent and admirable cartoonist : satirist
I've ever seen.

barely on topic: have they lost their minds?! [email protected] Orchids 9 18-09-2008 12:40 AM
barely straw *muffin* Ponds 5 15-07-2003 01:32 AM
barely straw *muffin* Ponds 0 13-07-2003 06:46 PM
EM Bokashi (Was: A Biological Apocalypse Barely Averted) Brian Sandle Gardening 0 11-07-2003 01:56 AM
Korean Spice Bush Barely Blooms B.R. Jones Gardening 1 23-06-2003 03:32 PM