Old 28-10-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID please?

Hi all,

I nicked this flower/seed head from a bush in someone's garden last night.
The plant is about 8 feet tall and the owner doesn't know what it is, but
says it suckers readily, so I'm hopeful of getting a bit at some point,
although I'll keep it in a container just in case. I've only seen it in the
dark, so that's all I can tell you. Any ideas?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/28Oct004.jpg

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 28-10-2009, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/28Oct004.jpg

Harlequin glorybower (Clerodendrum trichotomum)

Al.
Old 28-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzbat View Post
It's Clerodendrum trichotomum. Garden specimens are often var. fargesii.
Old 28-10-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 9:10*am, "shazzbat"
wrote:
Hi all,

I nicked this flower/seed head from a bush in someone's garden last night..
The plant is about 8 feet tall and the owner doesn't know what it is, but
says it suckers readily, so I'm hopeful of getting a bit at some point,
although I'll keep it in a container just in case. I've only seen it in the
dark, so that's all I can tell you. Any ideas?

Oooo No! It's the Venusian Gazaberry. It's so poisonous that if you
even pick a sprig in England it'll kill all your relatives in
Australia!
(Steve Irwin told me that)
Old 28-10-2009, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

Hi all,

I nicked this flower/seed head from a bush in someone's garden last
night. The plant is about 8 feet tall and the owner doesn't know what
it is, but says it suckers readily, so I'm hopeful of getting a bit at
some point, although I'll keep it in a container just in case. I've
only seen it in the dark, so that's all I can tell you. Any ideas?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/28Oct004.jpg

It's clerodendron trichotomum, possibly the fargesii variety.
Clerodendron trichotomum fargesii is the one we have. It grows into a
small tree and the flowers are sweet smelling and as it flowers late in
the summmer it's a very welcome addition to a garden. It's very
beautiful and as you see, those berries are stunning. I think it will
do better in the ground than in a container, though. It won't grow as
big in colder parts of UK, however. Its cousin, Clerodendrum bungei
is a devil for suckering, btw! There's a pic of it in flower on the
site and you'll see how pretty the little white 'stars' are.
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/shrubs/a-d.html

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-10-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

[...]

My C.t. is now 10 years old and a few metres across and high. Although it
flowers very well every year, it has had a few berries in only one year.
Usually it has none. I think it may need another plant (different clone,
probably) to set fruit. Is that your experience, too, Sacha?

--
Jeff

Old 28-10-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

[...]

Thanks for that people. And no worries, I hated that Sheila anyway.

Steve

Old 29-10-2009, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

[...]

Ours is very old and was, we think, planted near enough 40 years ago.
It's probably about 20' tall and spread and has a single trunk. It
doesn't have another near it, though, other than the ones we propagate.
Do you know if yours is C.t. var. fargesii? It's better at fruiting
than the straight C. trichotomum, apparently.

Old 29-10-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-28 19:22:57 +0000, "Jeff Layman"
On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

[...]

I don't know if it is var fargesii or not, but from what you say probably
not! The next time I put any in, it will be var fargesii, and there will be
at least one other - just in case.

I was at Winkworth a couple of days ago, and they had 3 medium C.t. (2 - 3
metres high) within a few metres of each other and all were fruiting well.
It would have been interesting if there had been one on its own as well for
comparison.

--
Jeff

Old 29-10-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-28 19:22:57 +0000, "Jeff Layman"
On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

[...]

I'll see if I have another pic of ours, full size but I don't think I
do and not with the fruits, certainly. It's one of those weird shrubs
that always looks absolutely dead and we think we've lost it and then,
slowly and stealthily it comes to life. It's absolutely terrifying!