Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sheila - Agapanthus seedlings

"Spider" wrote in message

As to another mini-greenhouse ... I don't know ... there are times I wish
I had a 'proper' greenhouse, but the mini was expensive enough.

Of course, if you didn't encourage the cats to sleep in your
mini-greenhouse there would be more room in it for the plants

Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RG" wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message

As to another mini-greenhouse ... I don't know ... there are times I wish
I had a 'proper' greenhouse, but the mini was expensive enough.

Of course, if you didn't encourage the cats to sleep in your
mini-greenhouse there would be more room in it for the plants

Felis domesticus is a growing cat and she needs shelter from the frosts ...
especially since she keeps Mr. Squirrel off my bulbs :~).

[Pardon us, Posters all, while we have a quick 'domestic'! :~)]

Spider

Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
They're thriving beauties! Pot them on into larger pots and be sparing
with the watering. Try grouping them together with some breathing space
between them. Stick some canes in the pots and cover the whole loosely
with horticultural fleece, if you're worried about them.

Do you think pinning the fleece to the side of the shed, making a lean to
effect with fleece would be ok? weighing it down with bricks?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-08 12:08:15 +0000, "Sheila" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
They're thriving beauties! Pot them on into larger pots and be sparing
with the watering. Try grouping them together with some breathing space
between them. Stick some canes in the pots and cover the whole loosely
with horticultural fleece, if you're worried about them.

Do you think pinning the fleece to the side of the shed, making a lean to
effect with fleece would be ok? weighing it down with bricks?

The main thing is to make sure that frost can't penetrate. If you can
achieve that, they should be okay. Otherwise, put them on an old table
in a spare room that's kept above freezing (!) and place them near a
window so they get as much light as possible. But don't draw the
curtain and keep them shut window side where the glass gets cold on the
'wrong' side of the curtain.
If Ray's worried about something particularly tender in the garden, he
either throws some fleece over it or even an old compost bag, turned
inside out but he does take it off again next day! Here, we rarely get
long-lasting frosts but we do sometimes get a few nights on the trot
when he has to do the plastic bag thing. We have a small Rhododendron
Lady Alice Fitzwilliam which has some shelter from trees but he covered
that a few times last year.
Our evergreens turned to mush last year but came back again this year,
much to our surprise. They flowered poorly, though. I think they'd
probably been in that position about 2 years but they weren't seedlings
when we were given them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Ping Sheila aand the 'white agapanthus seed club' Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 0 18-07-2013 03:55 PM
Ping Sheila - Agapanthus Spider United Kingdom 9 15-02-2009 11:16 PM
Ping Sheila Spider United Kingdom 8 18-01-2009 05:57 PM
Ping Judith and Sheila - Agapanthus seeds Spider United Kingdom 9 08-12-2008 08:57 PM
Dendrobium cuthbertsonii 'Sheila' Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 22-11-2007 06:42 PM