Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sheila - Agapanthus seedlings

Hi Sheila,

How are you intending to over-winter your agapanthus seedlings? Bring them
under cover or just keep them in a sheltered place outside? I can't
remember if you said the parent plant was hardy or not; perhaps you didn't
know.

I've got 31 plantlets :~), some more advanced than others, and they're all
outdoors at the moment as it's still fairly mild here in SE London. I've
got a *tiny* amount of space in my mini greenhouse and perhaps a bit of
space in my garden room (single brick construction), but that's half
promised to several bulbine plants! I've got quite a lot of cramming in to
do before the frosts come, so it would helpful to know what your plans are.

The plants still look very green and healthy. A few had one or two limp
yellow leaves and I've removed these, so there's nothing left to linger and
rot. One or two plants have even put up a secondary mini-bulb, or at least
the strap-like leaves which suggest an offset. It seems much too early in
their development for this, but unless a dormant seed stuck to the main root
mass, I can't explain it any other way. How are yours performing? Indeed,
how are all the co-growers getting on?

Incidentally, I've got an Agapanthus africanus in my front garden which has
put up a new stem and blue flower bud. It may open tomorrow if we get the
promised good weather. This species is not considered to be at all hardy so
I certainly didn't expect flowers in November! I'll be watching the weather
forecasts in case I need to bring it inside.

Spider

Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-03 17:11:29 +0000, "Spider" said:

Hi Sheila,

How are you intending to over-winter your agapanthus seedlings? Bring them
under cover or just keep them in a sheltered place outside? I can't
remember if you said the parent plant was hardy or not; perhaps you didn't
know.

snip

Incidentally, I've got an Agapanthus africanus in my front garden which has
put up a new stem and blue flower bud. It may open tomorrow if we get the
promised good weather. This species is not considered to be at all hardy so
I certainly didn't expect flowers in November! I'll be watching the weather
forecasts in case I need to bring it inside.

Spider

Our evergreen Ags looked appallingly limp, sad and mushy after last
winter but all have survived and a couple actually flowered. I hope
you'll photograph yours and mark the date on the photo when it blooms.
That would be a terrific record of a mild autumn - assuming it's still
mild with you. It's much colder here now.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-03 17:11:29 +0000, "Spider" said:

Hi Sheila,

[...]

Yes, I remember how worried you were that yours wouldn't come back. I'm
glad they survived and reminded you how beautiful they are.

It's a good idea to take a photograph. I'll do that when the flowers open.
One day I'll even get around to posting some pics. I'm still doing the
learning curve.

Going back to the recording of this major event in the horticultural diary
:~), do you know if there is a good gardening- and nature-related phenology
site?

Spider

Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-03 17:11:29 +0000, "Spider" said:

Hi Sheila,

[...]

I never remember such things from one year to the next and keep
chastising myself for not keeping a proper garden diary but does this
help?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/evidence/phenology.shtml

Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-03 17:11:29 +0000, "Spider" said:

Hi Sheila,

[...]

Yes thanks, Sacha, that looks great! I'll have a proper browse later but,
just now, I'm off to rescue a few tender plants before the frosts come.
Still clear and mild-ish here today, but the nights could soon be very
different. Brrr ...

Spider

Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Sheila,

How are you intending to over-winter your agapanthus seedlings? Bring
them under cover or just keep them in a sheltered place outside? I can't
remember if you said the parent plant was hardy or not; perhaps you didn't
know.

The is hardy in the ground, I didnt mulch it specially. I am going to put
the large pots in the shed this year, as the pot shattered last year, I am
going to put the small pots in my unheated porch, and give them just a drop
of water now and again.

I dont have as many babies as you, as I foolishly gave a lot to friends....
I am going to have to try to get the seed pods from this years plant for
some more!

I will try to remember to take a picture of them tomorrow, last years plant,
in the pot, also the plants in the ground, and the babies

Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-03 17:11:29 +0000, "Spider" said:

Hi Sheila,

[...]

It's very chilly here at night but not quite ready for frosts, I hope.
Having said that, I hope I don't regret it! Ray's pet Lonicera
hildebrandiana is still outside atm and looking great. It's still
putting out long tendrils and the tree ferns are looking very green.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Sheila,

How are you intending to over-winter your agapanthus seedlings? Bring
them under cover or just keep them in a sheltered place outside? I can't
remember if you said the parent plant was hardy or not; perhaps you
didn't know.

The is hardy in the ground, I didnt mulch it specially. I am going to put
the large pots in the shed this year, as the pot shattered last year, I am
going to put the small pots in my unheated porch, and give them just a
drop of water now and again.

Thanks for that, Sheila. I've put mine nearer the house for now, but will
have to make more indoor space for them. I've still got 3 big plants
outside which are probably tender, so they need squeezing inside somewhere,
too.

I dont have as many babies as you, as I foolishly gave a lot to
friends.... I am going to have to try to get the seed pods from this years
plant for some more!

Like many things, generosity is wonderful in moderation :~). I hope you've
kept enough to allow for a few losses. Having the parent plant helps, I
know, but you will have lost a year's progress. I have promised a friend
some of mine (she is an agapanthus fanatic), but she has even less space to
over-winter them than I, plus a still-being-trained rampaging lurcher.

I will try to remember to take a picture of them tomorrow, last years
plant, in the pot, also the plants in the ground, and the babies

:~) That will be interesting to see. My camera has a new battery now (it
died on me last week) so, if it's sunny tomorrow, I'll go out and snap a few
things.

Spider

Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
:~) That will be interesting to see. My camera has a new battery now (it
died on me last week) so, if it's sunny tomorrow, I'll go out and snap a
few things.

Spider

I had a look at my plants today, and glad I did so, the roots are coming out
of the bottom! I don't know what to do about it to be honest, any advice
would help!

If you check out my photobucket site, the pictures are the ones dated 5th of
November. They are all very healthy looking, and I hope I don't lose any
over winter!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
. ..

"Spider" wrote in message
:~) That will be interesting to see. My camera has a new battery now
(it died on me last week) so, if it's sunny tomorrow, I'll go out and
snap a few things.

Spider

I had a look at my plants today, and glad I did so, the roots are coming
out of the bottom! I don't know what to do about it to be honest, any
advice would help!

If you check out my photobucket site, the pictures are the ones dated 5th
of November. They are all very healthy looking, and I hope I don't lose
any over winter!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

Mmm... yours are bigger than mine! (sulks) :~). I haven't even thought to
turn mine upside down, so I'll check tomorrow. Part of me hopes there'll be
roots everywhere so I know they're growing well; the other part hopes
they'll be comfy till spring .. I don't much fancy potting on 31 plants just
now :~(. I'll come back tomorrow and let you know.

Spider

Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-05 15:59:47 +0000, "Sheila" said:

"Spider" wrote in message
:~) That will be interesting to see. My camera has a new battery now (it
died on me last week) so, if it's sunny tomorrow, I'll go out and snap a
few things.

Spider

I had a look at my plants today, and glad I did so, the roots are coming out
of the bottom! I don't know what to do about it to be honest, any advice
would help!

If you check out my photobucket site, the pictures are the ones dated 5th of
November. They are all very healthy looking, and I hope I don't lose any
over winter!

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

They're thriving beauties! Pot them on into larger pots and be sparing
with the watering. Try grouping them together with some breathing space
between them. Stick some canes in the pots and cover the whole loosely
with horticultural fleece, if you're worried about them.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

They're thriving beauties! Pot them on into larger pots and be sparing
with the watering. Try grouping them together with some breathing space
between them. Stick some canes in the pots and cover the whole loosely
with horticultural fleece, if you're worried about them.

I am pleased with them! Thanks for the advice, I will take it!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Like many things, generosity is wonderful in moderation :~).

Now I have to re-pot my remaining ones, I am glad I was generous.....!!!
An excuse for another mini-greenhouse?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-06 07:57:02 +0000, "Sheila" said:

"Spider" wrote in message
Like many things, generosity is wonderful in moderation :~).

Now I have to re-pot my remaining ones, I am glad I was generous.....!!!
An excuse for another mini-greenhouse?

Forget the mini bit and go for it. ;-)

Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
. ..

"Spider" wrote in message
Like many things, generosity is wonderful in moderation :~).

Now I have to re-pot my remaining ones, I am glad I was generous.....!!!
An excuse for another mini-greenhouse?

So am I! :~)
Sheila, I'm so sorry I didn't comment on your repotting question last time I
replied:~( I don't know what I was thinking of. Thank goodness Sacha
leapt in to the breach. Given how much root was extending from the bottom
of your pots, I would certainly have advised you to pot them on. It looked
like the roots were about the walk round the garden looking for a new home
(can you tell I'm jealous? :~)) on their own. I have looked at all my
plants today and several of them are just starting to show roots at the
bottom. Not enough, though, that I feel the need to pot them on. I shall
give them all some protection over winter, then look at potting them on when
day-length increases, probably after the clocks change again at the end of
March.

As to another mini-greenhouse ... I don't know ... there are times I wish I
had a 'proper' greenhouse, but the mini was expensive enough. On top of
that, I desperately need a shed for all the hundreds of things lurking
around the garden which need a tidy home. One day ...

Spider

Ping Sheila aand the 'white agapanthus seed club' Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 0 18-07-2013 03:55 PM
Ping Sheila - Agapanthus Spider United Kingdom 9 15-02-2009 11:16 PM
Ping Sheila Spider United Kingdom 8 18-01-2009 05:57 PM
Ping Judith and Sheila - Agapanthus seeds Spider United Kingdom 9 08-12-2008 08:57 PM
Dendrobium cuthbertsonii 'Sheila' Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 22-11-2007 06:42 PM