Old 14-02-2009, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sheila - Agapanthus

Hi Sheila,

I potted on many of my Agapanthus seedlings last week to give them a bit
more space. They are not yet potted up singly, but several to a 4" pot.
They have settled in well and are about 3" high now and trying to put up a
second leaf. Because they're in fresh compost I haven't fed them yet, but
may do so in a month's time when, hopefully, it will be a bit warmer and
lighter for longer.

The only downside to this progress is that the remaining tardy seedlings are
sulking somewhat due to the disturbance :~(. However, they may pick up.
Even if they don't, I've still got plenty of seedlings to grow on and share.
I have a friend who loves and collects Agapanthus and, naturally, she is
watching my progress with great interest. How are your seedlings coming on?

Do you know, Sheila, the specific (and cultivar?) name(s) of this
Agapanthus? It would help also to know whether or not it's evergreen ... I
need to know if I should panic if it's dying or simply dying back for a
period of dormancy. Also, I believe its evergreen or deciduous status is an
inicator of hardiness. If you don't know, don't worry, I'll just have to
learn as I go along.

Spider

Old 14-02-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Not doing too well I'm afraid, I have only used 20 pots, and they are in a
tray in conservatory covered by cling film. I have removed one pot, as it
has a lovely little seedling, very spindly, the others are "JUST" about to
break the surface, about 8 of the pots are showing activity, and not broken
into leaf yet. I have no bottom heat on them. I didn't put my seeds in until
a few weeks after you both. I also had a disaster, I did remove 2 pots, and
managed to drop a book on one of them....so it all got scooped back into
pot, the seedling had disappeared so its in there somewhere, fighting its
way out...... (I hope!) I asked the guy who cuts my grass and moves heavy
things for me ( My gardener!)if he wanted any seedlings, and he said no
thanks, they are too difficult to germinate, he just will take a few when he
splits the mother plant!

I haven't got a clue of the variety at all, I was told when I split the
plant, that the original came from Madeira, where the lady holidayed a lot.
I have always had green leaves on the plant, even during the winter, and
they are still there now, new ones, under the dead old ones. I cut the main
flower stem down a month or so ago. had to repot the ones in pots outside
as the frost fractured the pots they were in, mainly because one of them was
an old bread bin....I have actually put them in their pots in the shed, they
seem fine, might bring them out for the weekend, as we are scheduled to have
double figures here in Formby tomorrow....

You sound as if you are having a successful time with the seeds, I am glad,
I managed to knock the envelope off the work surface last week, which
contained the remaining seeds, they fell into a bag containing dirty
clothes, ready for the wash, and had to be shaken from that, and the rest
picked up carefully from the kitchen floor, so only time will tell if they
do anything, I am going to have a go putting the remaining ones in pots this
weekend, and see what happens.

Progress report from anyone else???

Old 15-02-2009, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Sheila

Sheila wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Ah - I did that with my tomato seedlings last year - had a couple of
modules full of 8 different varieties of tom seedlings - and dropped the
propogator lid on the whole lot. Bother !

Scooped everything back into the right places (or so I thought) but
ended up with lots of one variety and some of the more 'sensitive' types
just never came back !

Sowed some more as backup - but it set us back a few weeks...

I haven't got a clue of the variety at all, I was told when I split the
plant, that the original came from Madeira, where the lady holidayed a lot.
I have always had green leaves on the plant, even during the winter, and
they are still there now, new ones, under the dead old ones. I cut the main
flower stem down a month or so ago. had to repot the ones in pots outside
as the frost fractured the pots they were in, mainly because one of them was
an old bread bin....I have actually put them in their pots in the shed, they
seem fine, might bring them out for the weekend, as we are scheduled to have
double figures here in Formby tomorrow....

Mine are still in the sunroom - probably 3" of leaf on each plantlet

You sound as if you are having a successful time with the seeds, I am glad,
I managed to knock the envelope off the work surface last week, which
contained the remaining seeds, they fell into a bag containing dirty
clothes, ready for the wash, and had to be shaken from that, and the rest
picked up carefully from the kitchen floor, so only time will tell if they
do anything, I am going to have a go putting the remaining ones in pots this
weekend, and see what happens.

Progress report from anyone else???

I was going to sort out some photos - but my wife tripped on the way
down the stairs a couple of weks back and broke her wrist - so I'm kind
of busy fetching & carrying for her at the moment... g & everything
else takes 2nd place.

Adrian
Old 15-02-2009, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

to explain, the "pots" I am talking about arnt normal plant pots, they are
little pudding pots that you get ready made puddings in.....I recycle
everything.... they look a bit more "acceptable" in the conservatory....

Old 15-02-2009, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian" wrote in message
Ah - I did that with my tomato seedlings last year - had a couple of
modules full of 8 different varieties of tom seedlings - and dropped the
propogator lid on the whole lot. Bother !

Scooped everything back into the right places (or so I thought) but ended
up with lots of one variety and some of the more 'sensitive' types just
never came back !

Sowed some more as backup - but it set us back a few weeks...

glad you had success though, I dont think I will....

Mine are still in the sunroom - probably 3" of leaf on each plantlet

sounds good!

I was going to sort out some photos - but my wife tripped on the way down
the stairs a couple of weks back and broke her wrist - so I'm kind of busy
fetching & carrying for her at the moment... g & everything else takes
2nd place.

Adrian

Ouch..... sounds nasty, send her my regards, I am looking in 2 times a day
on a friend who has just recovered from breaking her wrist, then fell and
broke the top of her femur....she is home from hospital with a care package,
and hates all the strange faces in her home...(she's 89) so I am going in to
try to introduce a modicum of familiarity to her, she is very knowledgeable
about gardening, and still gets out there, when she's fit!

Old 15-02-2009, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 14, 10:22*pm, "Sheila" wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Little progress, very spindly seeds which I now have to leave in the
care of my neighbour whilst we are away. The light levels are very
good here but still they don't look ready to pot on.

Judith
Old 15-02-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

It's not surprising you're a bit behind since you started late, but it
sounds as if you'll soon be catching up. Pity about the disaster:~(. Hope
there's a happy ending.
I was surprised at your gardener's comment re germination. I found
germination was very straight forward. Of course, I observed your advice
about sowing within the first 3 weeks, and I'm sure that helped. Perhaps
your gardener's previous experience was of older, unviable seed.

I haven't got a clue of the variety at all, I was told when I split the
plant, that the original came from Madeira, where the lady holidayed a
lot. I have always had green leaves on the plant, even during the winter,
and they are still there now, new ones, under the dead old ones. I cut the
main flower stem down a month or so ago. had to repot the ones in pots
outside as the frost fractured the pots they were in, mainly because one
of them was an old bread bin....I have actually put them in their pots in
the shed, they seem fine, might bring them out for the weekend, as we are
scheduled to have double figures here in Formby tomorrow....

It certainly sounds as if they could be evergreen, so that's useful. I'll
do some reading, but I seem to remember that the evergreen types are less
hardy, although to what degree I don't know.

You sound as if you are having a successful time with the seeds, I am
glad, I managed to knock the envelope off the work surface last week,
which contained the remaining seeds, they fell into a bag containing dirty
clothes, ready for the wash, and had to be shaken from that, and the rest
picked up carefully from the kitchen floor, so only time will tell if they
do anything, I am going to have a go putting the remaining ones in pots
this weekend, and see what happens.

Good luck.
Spider

Progress report from anyone else???

Old 15-02-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian" wrote in message

Hack and slash ..

I was going to sort out some photos - but my wife tripped on the way down
the stairs a couple of weks back and broke her wrist - so I'm kind of busy
fetching & carrying for her at the moment... g & everything else takes
2nd place.

Adrian

Sorry to hear about your wife's accident, Adrian. Do pass on my regards and
wish her a speedy recovery.

Spider

Old 15-02-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Both

Spider wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Hack and slash ..
I was going to sort out some photos - but my wife tripped on the way down
the stairs a couple of weks back and broke her wrist - so I'm kind of busy
fetching & carrying for her at the moment... g & everything else takes
2nd place.

Adrian

Sorry to hear about your wife's accident, Adrian. Do pass on my regards and
wish her a speedy recovery.

Spider

Thanks for the good wishes - got to make the trip up to Cork tomorrow
for the 2-week x-ray..... hoping & praying that everything's knitting
together as it should and that there won't be a need for any pinning!

Life, eh !!? g

Thanks
Adrian
Old 15-02-2009, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 15, 8:13*am, Adrian wrote:
HI Sheila

Sheila wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Oh Dear best wishes to her Adrian.

Judith

Ping Sheila aand the 'white agapanthus seed club' Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 0 18-07-2013 03:55 PM
Ping Sheila - Agapanthus seedlings Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 18 08-11-2009 12:54 PM
Ping Sheila Spider United Kingdom 8 18-01-2009 05:57 PM
Ping Judith and Sheila - Agapanthus seeds Spider United Kingdom 9 08-12-2008 08:57 PM
Dendrobium cuthbertsonii 'Sheila' Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 22-11-2007 06:42 PM