Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Judith and Sheila - Agapanthus seeds

Hi both,

Sorry I've not been around to post regarding the agapanthus seeds - just so
so busy!

Judith, Sheila asked me to post with information about seed sowing, in the
hope that you might benefit if you'd never sown agapanthus before. I
haven't.

The RHS Propagating Plants guide says the seeds should be sown at 16'C
(61'F). It does not suggest depth of planting, but savvy gardeners know
that most seed should be covered with its own depth of soil, so fairly
shallowly in this case. They should germinate in three weeks. Established
seedlings should be grown on in a cold frame, but protected from frost. In
the spring, the seedlings can be transferred to a nursery bed. The new
plants should flower in their third year.

Hope that helps. There is nothing about feeding, but once the weather warms
up a bit, I shall give a general fertiliser, then top that up with a weakish
feed throughout the year; I'll probably repeat that in the second year. In
the third year, I shall start with a general feed, then give a high potash
feed about May time. Naturally, I'll adjust that if I perceive any
problems. No doubt, we three will be swapping notes during that time.

Must stop typing now - I need to cross my fingers!

Best Wishes,
Spider

Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 7, 5:48 pm, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Spider, it is so very cold here in Winter that I will have a
job keeping them frost free in the cold frame, I will line it with
bubble wrap that should help a little. It will be interesting
comparing notes as they grow.

Judith
Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 7, 5:48 pm, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Thanks to Sheila, the seeds arrived today, loads of them!

Judith
Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

very concise information there, I am going to split my seedlings into two
groups, the natural, and the mollycoddled, the natural I shall sow outside,
and let nature take its course, and the mollycoddled, well, self explanatory
really! I shall keep a diary, and provide photo's if I can find my
camera, if not, my phone will have to do. This is going to be interesting,
and just waiting for Adrian to join in too....

Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 5:48 pm, "Spider" wrote:
Hi both,

Thanks to Sheila, the seeds arrived today, loads of them!

Judith

You are very welcome Judith, just repaying your kindness! shall we keep
this thread open for our little ones?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Sheila

Sheila wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Who - me ?? g

Seeds arrived today (thanks!) - will see about getting them planted
asap.....
probably start them in the propogator (can't guarantee 16c in the
sunroom this time of year) and we'll see what happens.

Sheila's seeds are packed and n the glovebox of the car - waiting til
I'm next near to a postbox (Tuesday or Wednesday)

Thanks
Adrian
Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian" wrote in message
HI Sheila

Who - me ?? g

Seeds arrived today (thanks!) - will see about getting them planted
asap.....
probably start them in the propogator (can't guarantee 16c in the sunroom
this time of year) and we'll see what happens.

Sheila's seeds are packed and n the glovebox of the car - waiting til I'm
next near to a postbox (Tuesday or Wednesday)

Thanks
Adrian

No problem, looking forward to receiving them.... watch all ears prick
up.....seeds, what seeds.......

Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 8, 8:07 pm, "Sheila" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On Dec 7, 5:48 pm, "Spider" wrote:
Hi both,

Thanks to Sheila, the seeds arrived today, loads of them!

Judith

You are very welcome Judith, just repaying your kindness! shall we keep
this thread open for our little ones?

But, but, I'm not pregnant :-)

Judith

Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian" wrote in message
Sheila's seeds are packed and n the glovebox of the car - waiting til I'm
next near to a postbox (Tuesday or Wednesday)

Thanks
Adrian

Just out of curiosity, are the blue ones the same type of seed as the white
ones?