Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My new cloches

I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free cloches
for protecting plants. I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in my
recycling box! :~) Smug, or what?!

Spider

Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free
cloches for protecting plants. I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in
my recycling box! :~) Smug, or what?!

Spider

1. container for tennis balls
2. sand/cement mix for pointing patio kept dry
3. 50,000 other uses if only I had more of them.

the supply stopped when we realized the fat balls remnants were polluting
our wildlife pond - now feed only sunflower hearts from a pigeon & squirrel
proof bird table (inside a gambion basket).

Lol (also pretty smug)

Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote in message
. ..

"Spider" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free
cloches for protecting plants. I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in
my recycling box! :~) Smug, or what?!

Spider

1. container for tennis balls
2. sand/cement mix for pointing patio kept dry
3. 50,000 other uses if only I had more of them.

the supply stopped when we realized the fat balls remnants were polluting
our wildlife pond - now feed only sunflower hearts from a pigeon &
squirrel proof bird table (inside a gambion basket).

Lol (also pretty smug)

:~) They're great, aren't they?! You've given me an idea: I might have to
let RG (hubby) have one for his cement ... but not if it means losing a
plant in the frosts:~)

Spider

Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote ...
"Spider" wrote in message

I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free
cloches for protecting plants. I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in
my recycling box! :~) Smug, or what?!

1. container for tennis balls
2. sand/cement mix for pointing patio kept dry
3. 50,000 other uses if only I had more of them.

the supply stopped when we realized the fat balls remnants were polluting
our wildlife pond - now feed only sunflower hearts from a pigeon &
squirrel proof bird table (inside a gambion basket).

We bought a squirrel proof seed feeder to stop the pigeons eating all the
seed before the small birds could get a chance, keeps the squirrels and
pigeons off but I've not seen one small bird go near it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Nov, 19:28, "Spider" wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free cloches
for protecting plants. *I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in my
recycling box! *:~) *Smug, or what?!

Spider

I use soft drinks bottles with the bottoms cut off. Flat bottoms can
be used as saucers for small pots. I make pots themselves by cutting
1/3 up and boring holes in the bottoms. I wonder if the binmen puzzle
over why they only get partial bottles! The plastic goes brittle after
a few years in the sun, but there's a continuous supply.

Chris

Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Lol" wrote in message
. ..

"Spider" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free
cloches for protecting plants. I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in
my recycling box! :~) Smug, or what?!

Spider

1. container for tennis balls
2. sand/cement mix for pointing patio kept dry
3. 50,000 other uses if only I had more of them.

the supply stopped when we realized the fat balls remnants were polluting
our wildlife pond - now feed only sunflower hearts from a pigeon &
squirrel proof bird table (inside a gambion basket).

Lol (also pretty smug)

:~) They're great, aren't they?! You've given me an idea: I might have to
let RG (hubby) have one for his cement ... but not if it means losing a
plant in the frosts:~)

Spider

Just remembered - invaluable for transporting frog spawn - we always get too
much, and the local school always wants some.

Lol

Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On 8 Nov, 19:28, "Spider" wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is drowning in those clear plastic tubs that
come filled with bird food, but I've discovered they make great free
cloches
for protecting plants. I'm so glad I didn't try and cram them in my
recycling box! :~) Smug, or what?!

Spider

I use soft drinks bottles with the bottoms cut off. Flat bottoms can
be used as saucers for small pots. I make pots themselves by cutting
1/3 up and boring holes in the bottoms. I wonder if the binmen puzzle
over why they only get partial bottles! The plastic goes brittle after
a few years in the sun, but there's a continuous supply.

Chris

Mmm ... those bottle pots would also make excellent clear pots for smaller
orchids. At the moment I use those clear plastic drinks cups, but they're
very brittle and crack easily. 'Your' bottle pots would be rather more
flexible. Thanks for that :~).

Spider

DEUX HISTOIRES DE CLOCHES [email protected] United Kingdom 0 16-01-2006 09:05 AM
cloches James Fidell United Kingdom 29 10-03-2004 11:46 PM
cloches James Fidell United Kingdom 2 08-03-2004 07:56 PM
cloches James Fidell United Kingdom 0 08-03-2004 07:51 PM
Bottle cloches Stephen Howard United Kingdom 1 21-02-2003 06:00 PM