Old 14-11-2009, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn gales

On 2009-11-14 13:12:13 +0000, robert said:

In message , Martin
writes

And the gale is back
and the rain is hurling itself against the windows.

A bit like being at sea. At least I don't have big plate glass windows that go
in and out with each gust of wind, like I had when I lived in a flat close to
the N Sea. I used to think that they had taken gales into account when they
specified the glass, until a friend had a window shatter during a storm.

I always draw curtains snugly during storms, just in case! We have
leaded panes here, so it's unlikely we'd get danger-to-humans type
damage but I'm not risking anything.

Our house has very big glass windows but is completely double glazed so no sign
of flexing like the single glazed windows in my old flat did. Most of the front
and back walls of the house are glass.

We have a large double glazed window (2m x 2.5m) facing south west and
we are situated on top of the tallest hill for miles around (great
views of the southern edge of Dartmoor unless it is obliterated by
storms) but it is scary just how much the glass flexes. I have thought
about installing shutters.

Heavens! I certainly would. In a modern house I've always thought
those roll down shutters that cover the outside of the window but can
be let down from the inside, are a clever idea. All our downstairs
windows have Victorian folding shutters but for some reason, they
weren't installed in the upstairs windows. It's amazing how much noise
and cold they keep out.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2009, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 13:28:32 +0000, aquachimp
said:

On Nov 12, 1:38*pm, Sacha wrote:
Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. * Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's weather!

*
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. *I think we're going to have
a lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

The wind is doing great for drying out the laundry here (west
Flanders)

I wouldn't like to guess where ours would be by now and the washing
line is in a small and relatively sheltered courtyard.

Old 14-11-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

I remember watching a BBC programme showing how difficult it is to break a
double glazed window in the context of escaping from a house in the event of a
fire. I wouldn't worry. We are about 3' above sea level.

You may not be by the time the Greenland ice has all melted.
;-)
I'm 250ft asl.
--
Gordon H