Old 18-11-2009, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More gales...

It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)
--
Sacha

Old 18-11-2009, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)

I hate strong wind, always have done. Which considering I grew up on
the coast, you'd think I'd have got used to it. I suspect it's related
to having always had long hair, it's really unpleasant in the wind.
Old 18-11-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-18 14:55:23 +0000, Martin said:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:39:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's blowing again

Here too! only a few more leaves to go.

- what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder.

Tiles, kite surfers & sea gulls travelling horizontally at 60mph has something
to do with it.

I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)

LOL

So long as it all over by Friday night, when we cross the North Sea again.

Spot the kite surfers at Scheveningen near the Hague.
http://www.scheveningenlive.nl/beach1.html

I hope so for your sake and actually for my stepson's. He's meant to
be taking a truck full of plants to Jersey in a week or two but there
won't be much point if this continues!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-11-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-18 17:12:33 +0000, said:

Sacha wrote:
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)

I hate strong wind, always have done. Which considering I grew up on
the coast, you'd think I'd have got used to it. I suspect it's related
to having always had long hair, it's really unpleasant in the wind.

I was born and grew up on a small island and I still hate it. It's
just so aggressive, somehow. I even prefer fog to that and love the
sound of the fog horns. What's left in the garden in flower is getting
a real bashing and leaves are flying around like mad things. Even the
dog is thinking twice about going outside and has to be 'encouraged'!

Old 19-11-2009, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-18 17:12:33 +0000, said:

Sacha wrote:
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)

I hate strong wind, always have done. Which considering I grew up on
the coast, you'd think I'd have got used to it. I suspect it's related
to having always had long hair, it's really unpleasant in the wind.

I was born and grew up on a small island and I still hate it. It's just
so aggressive, somehow. I even prefer fog to that and love the sound of
the fog horns. What's left in the garden in flower is getting a real
bashing and leaves are flying around like mad things. Even the dog is
thinking twice about going outside and has to be 'encouraged'!
--

Personally I hate wind, but my two cats go nuts when it's really windy, and
race around in the garden like the racing demons they are. Fortunately they

s.

Old 19-11-2009, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel on
edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed and
pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)
--

It's been rather windy in Leics too, blew me down the garden to feed my
chickens this morning ;-)

Old 19-11-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 18, 2:55*pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:39:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:
It's blowing again

Here too! only a few more leaves to go.

- what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder.

Tiles, kite surfers & sea gulls travelling horizontally at 60mph has something
to do with it.

I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. *By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. *;-)

LOL

So long as it all over by Friday night, when we cross the North Sea again..

Spot the kite surfers at Scheveningen near the Hague.http://www.scheveningenlive.nl/beach1.html
--

Martin

Did you get the gale on Monday night Martin, we were not home but we
could see the results, I still have to go into the field to pick up
empty hanging baskets which obviously took off.

Judith
Old 19-11-2009, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 1:38*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

... It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel on
edge, I wonder. *I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed and
pummelled when I'm outside, too. *By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. *;-)
--

It's been rather windy in Leics too, blew me down the garden to feed my
chickens this morning ;-)
Has calmed down now.

My chickens love the wind, they skip along like little old ladies.
I'm still getting eggs Tina, is that usual at this time?

Judith
Old 19-11-2009, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:39:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)

Just got back from my allotment where it's been so warm we were working
in t-shirts!
Old 19-11-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Judith in France wrote:
My chickens love the wind, they skip along like little old ladies.
I'm still getting eggs Tina, is that usual at this time?

Our egg production doesn't seem to have gone down at all, except
for 1 of the 3 layers seems to have stopped completely. But last
time she did that we ended up finding a nest of hidden eggs months
later! (Don't /think/ she has anywhere to hide now!)

Old 19-11-2009, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 11:22:29 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:39:25 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel
on edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed
and pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)

Just got back from my allotment where it's been so warm we were working
in t-shirts!

Where's the allotment? On a south-facing côtil? ;-))

Old 19-11-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:14:16 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Not quite!

Behind St. Brelade Rectory, South facing with a nice big hill to the
west. We really do seem to have our own microclimate.
Old 19-11-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 13:24:59 +0000, Aries said:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 01:38:20 -0000, Christina Websell wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel on
edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed and
pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)
--

It's been rather windy in Leics too, blew me down the garden to feed my
chickens this morning ;-)
Has calmed down now.

Very blowy here in Mid Devon too - grey and miserable looking too but
mildish still.

Ditto in South Devon. We have had strong winds all morning and then
every so often there's a gust that just howls the place down.

Old 19-11-2009, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's blowing again - what is it about high winds that makes people feel on
edge, I wonder. I hate the damage they do but I hate being pushed and
pummelled when I'm outside, too. By the wind that is, Ray's pretty
easy-going. ;-)
--

It's been rather windy in Leics too, blew me down the garden to feed my
chickens this morning ;-)
Has calmed down now.

Very blowy here in Mid Devon too - grey and miserable looking too but
mildish still.

Ditto in South Devon. We have had strong winds all morning and then
every so often there's a gust that just howls the place down.

So damaging too especially to our plants

I know. I'm watching a Seagull rose beiing thrashed about. Luckily,
much of it is tied into ropes along the pergola but some shoots have
escaped and are behaving as if they have a life of their own.

Old 19-11-2009, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-19 13:26:16 +0000, Derek Turner said:

Not quite!

Behind St. Brelade Rectory, South facing with a nice big hill to the
west. We really do seem to have our own microclimate.

Passport country. ;-) I'm not even sure where that Rectory is - is it
on La Marquanderie Hill? If so, you have the shelter of the hill
behind you, no?