Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn gales

Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's weather!
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. I think we're going to have
a lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-11-2009, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's weather!
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. I think we're going to have a
lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!

A lovely morning here in North Staffordshire, but starting to look
threatening now, early afternoon!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:32:36 GMT, Jennifer Sparkes
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's weather!
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. I think we're going to have
a lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!
--

Well the rain has just started here in N. Bristol now
waiting for the gale strength winds that are forecast ...

It's been precipitating down here in South Wales for about the last 90
minutes.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's weather!
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. I think we're going to have
a lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!
--
Well the rain has just started here in N. Bristol now
waiting for the gale strength winds that are forecast ...

It's been precipitating down here in South Wales for about the last 90
minutes.

It did it for most of the two years I lived in and around Newport )
Dry days were the exception.

We've been there on two brilliantly hot days and umpteen very wet ones!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Hi all, I played a round of golf at Killiow near Truro this morning and we were only commenting on how very green the oaks were looking. This Autumn, the colour has been very subdued, due I would think to the exceptionally mild September and October, am I right in thinking that it is the colder weather that is responsible for leaves converting chlorophyll to sugar and in turn very good Autumn colour. In a 'normal' Autumn I know from my salmon fishing on the river Camel that the second week of October usually sees the bulk of the leaves falling (making the water just about unfishable) But lets hope that looking forward, that we don't get the very cold weather that we experienced in Cornwall last year.
best wishes Lannerman (soon to move to Treliever)

Old 13-11-2009, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I recall the sunny days too )

Our experiences were lucky ones because they were when my daughter had
planned outdoor parties and they worked. On one particular day it was
so hot we all kept going indoors to cool down. Very unexpected but
very welcome. But I must admit that usually, as I approach Bristol,
the rain starts, or is looming.

Old 13-11-2009, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

'Martin[_2_ Wrote:
;869282']On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:51:10 +0000, Broadback
wrote:
-
Sacha wrote:-
Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's
weather!
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. I think we're going to have
lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!-
A lovely morning here in North Staffordshire, but starting to look
threatening now, early afternoon!-

It's windy with clear skies and very mild in Zuid Holland. Most of the
leaves
have gone already.
--

Martin

Hi all, I played a round of golf at Killiow near Truro this morning and
we were only commenting on how very green the oaks were looking. This
Autumn, the colour has been very subdued, due I would think to the
exceptionally mild September and October, am I right in thinking that
it is the colder weather that is responsible for leaves converting
chlorophyll to sugar and in turn very good Autumn colour. In a 'normal'
Autumn I know from my salmon fishing on the river Camel that the second
week of October usually sees the bulk of the leaves falling (making the
water just about unfishable) But lets hope that looking forward, that we
don't get the very cold weather that we experienced in Cornwall last
year.
best wishes Lannerman (soon to move to Treliever)

--
lannerman

If your posting name is based on your location you must be just up the
road from me? !!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Chacewater
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-11-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

We had the remains of your gale and rain last night. Most of the leaves have
gone. It is still raining and windy.

The gale has gone through - at least I hope it has and this isn't the
eye of the storm! But it's raining on and off and is just overall
gloomy - horrible! Poor Ray has picked up one of the bugs going around
and has a bad back too, while my step-son is still limping from a very
badly sprained ankle following a fall. My daughter has re-christened
this place 'Ill House!

Old 13-11-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
writes
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's weather!
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. I think we're going to have
a lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!
--

Well the rain has just started here in N. Bristol now
waiting for the gale strength winds that are forecast ...

It's been precipitating down here in South Wales for about the last 90
minutes.

Oops, sorry - read that as "years"
--
hugh

Old 13-11-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 14:32:21 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:50:49 +0000, Sacha wrote:
snip

The gale has gone through - at least I hope it has and this isn't the
eye of the storm! But it's raining on and off and is just overall
gloomy - horrible! Poor Ray has picked up one of the bugs going around
and has a bad back too, while my step-son is still limping from a very
badly sprained ankle following a fall. My daughter has re-christened
this place 'Ill House!

I had one upper arm topped up with H1N1 vaccine yesterday. No side effects. 8
people had their arms injected with insulin by accident elsewhere.

Hell's bells - that's a bit serious, isn't it?! And the gale is back
and the rain is hurling itself against the windows.

Old 13-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
In article ,
says...

wrote:
-
Sacha wrote:-
[...]

Yes that's right Charlie, about 2 1/2 miles as the crow flies!
Old 14-11-2009, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 14:32:21 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:50:49 +0000, Sacha wrote:
snip

The gale has gone through - at least I hope it has and this isn't the
eye of the storm! But it's raining on and off and is just overall
gloomy - horrible! Poor Ray has picked up one of the bugs going around
and has a bad back too, while my step-son is still limping from a very
badly sprained ankle following a fall. My daughter has re-christened
this place 'Ill House!

I had one upper arm topped up with H1N1 vaccine yesterday. No side effects. 8
people had their arms injected with insulin by accident elsewhere.

Hell's bells - that's a bit serious, isn't it?!

They are "comfortable" in hospital.
When I weighed up the risks it was certainly something I didn't consider.
I'm told by British expat OAPs in France and Germany that H1N1 jabs are not
foreseen.
Judith?

She's away from home, atm. I wonder how anyone mixed up insulin with
H1N1 - a scary kind of carelessness.

And the gale is back
and the rain is hurling itself against the windows.

A bit like being at sea. At least I don't have big plate glass windows that go
in and out with each gust of wind, like I had when I lived in a flat close to
the N Sea. I used to think that they had taken gales into account when they
specified the glass, until a friend had a window shatter during a storm.

I always draw curtains snugly during storms, just in case! We have
leaded panes here, so it's unlikely we'd get danger-to-humans type
damage but I'm not risking anything.

Old 14-11-2009, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

And the gale is back
and the rain is hurling itself against the windows.

A bit like being at sea. At least I don't have big plate glass
windows that go
in and out with each gust of wind, like I had when I lived in a flat
close to
the N Sea. I used to think that they had taken gales into account when they
specified the glass, until a friend had a window shatter during a storm.

I always draw curtains snugly during storms, just in case! We have
leaded panes here, so it's unlikely we'd get danger-to-humans type
damage but I'm not risking anything.

Our house has very big glass windows but is completely double glazed so no sign
of flexing like the single glazed windows in my old flat did. Most of the front
and back walls of the house are glass.

We have a large double glazed window (2m x 2.5m) facing south west and
we are situated on top of the tallest hill for miles around (great views
of the southern edge of Dartmoor unless it is obliterated by storms) but
it is scary just how much the glass flexes. I have thought about
installing shutters.

--
Robert
Old 14-11-2009, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 12, 1:38*pm, Sacha wrote:
Just yesterday, as we drove to Hemerdon, near Plymouth, to have lunch
with friends, we remarked on how many of the trees were still holding
onto their leaves and that a lot are still very green. * Well, I think
those that aren't green will be swiftly dealt with by today's weather! *
It's pouring with rain and blow a hooley. *I think we're going to have
a lot more leaves on the lawns today and it's not much of a day for
gardening, either!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

The wind is doing great for drying out the laundry here (west
Flanders)
Old 14-11-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 14:32:21 +0000, Martin said:

[...]

Still on the way down the mountain with Moses tablets? )

Has he got a headache, then? ;-)

I wonder how anyone mixed up insulin with
H1N1 - a scary kind of carelessness.

Probably in the same fridge. I guess towards the end of a mass vaccination
session the staff are tired. 5 staff did all the OAPs and those with health
risks who wanted vaccinating in our town, total population about 20,000, in
about 8 hours.

A brilliant job on their part, though more staff would have been safer,
with the benefit of the 20/20 vision of hindsight. I hope they didn't
give insulin to injecting diabetics because I would think that makes
for an incredibly dangerous situation.

And the gale is back
and the rain is hurling itself against the windows.

A bit like being at sea. At least I don't have big plate glass windows that go
in and out with each gust of wind, like I had when I lived in a flat close to
the N Sea. I used to think that they had taken gales into account when they
specified the glass, until a friend had a window shatter during a storm.

I always draw curtains snugly during storms, just in case! We have
leaded panes here, so it's unlikely we'd get danger-to-humans type
damage but I'm not risking anything.

Our house has very big glass windows but is completely double glazed so no sign
of flexing like the single glazed windows in my old flat did. Most of the front
and back walls of the house are glass.

Must be lovely on a 'good' day but a bit daunting on one like this.
Here, the sun is trying to come through but the wind is still terribly
strong. Earlier, I was looking at the weathervane and it did a
complete 360 and then back again!