Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heavy rain and gales

Well the flowering cherry trees are at their best now in this area so
it's time for heavy rain and gales.
It seems to work every year.
David @ a very windy end of Swansea Bay
Old 09-05-2013, 04:07 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
We had a cherry massacre here too earlier in the year. In one case, we
had asked the Council to remove some thick bramble growth around a
tree - the growth blocked the footpath. The council cut down the
cherry tree. A month later we asked them about the bramble growth. So
they cut down a few more cherry trees. They finally removed the
brambles with a brush cutter a fortnight ago. They're already growing
back.
We asked the Council to do some tree trimming in the park to give more space to a fine mature Araucaria. They felled the Araucaria.
__________________
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 May 2013 11:34:00 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

You have elms!!!??

I've planted two that are doing well, although the larger I let the crown
grow into a 3-way divide, and it had to be cabled. It's over 20 years in
ground here and a good sized tree. They're lovely trees and fast
growers, so far no sign of Dutch Elm disease.

They were both sold (from different sources) with the name Ulmus resista,
I assume that's not a legitimate name... but I have heard from various
plantsmen that there are a few resistant cultivars around now.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
Well the flowering cherry trees are at their best now in this area so it's
time for heavy rain and gales.
It seems to work every year.
David @ a very windy end of Swansea Bay

71mph winds recorded at Mumbles today according to TV report.

Hold on to your hat Dave:-)

Bill

Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-10 11:23:44 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 10 May 2013 10:56:09 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 10 May 2013 08:19:08 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 09 May 2013 09:47:55 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Well the flowering cherry trees are at their best now in this area so
it's time for heavy rain and gales.
It seems to work every year.
David @ a very windy end of Swansea Bay

Gale, yes, but no rain to speak of. What little we had, more like
intermittent heavy driving drizzle, was traveling so fast horizontally
that the only time it seemed to reach the ground was when it hit a
vertical obstruction such as a wall and ran down! My rain gauge hasn't
registered anything this month, and it's sensitive to 0.01 inch (one
hundredth of an inch) of rain!

Correction. On inspecting the soil this morning, it was reasonably
damp right through, suggesting more rain than the gauge had indicated.
Investigating the gauge revealed a snail in the works, and the tipping
bucket mechanism wasn't tipping. Will have to give it a clean out to
remove the dross and snail crap.

We have had less than a millimetre so far this week.

Big clouds pass over without significant precipitation just like last
year

Half an inch fell here two nights ago and washed away dust. Everything
is sparklingly green again.
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 10-05-2013, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Correction. On inspecting the soil this morning, it was reasonably
damp right through, suggesting more rain than the gauge had indicated.
Investigating the gauge revealed a snail in the works, and the tipping
bucket mechanism wasn't tipping. Will have to give it a clean out to
remove the dross and snail crap.

We have had less than a millimetre so far this week.

Big clouds pass over without significant precipitation just like last
year

Half an inch fell here two nights ago and washed away dust. Everything
is sparklingly green again.

Well living up to our reputation for rain we had 1.2 inches yesterday
David@ a rain free end of Swansea Bay