Old 15-11-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eucomis ID

Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-11-2009, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 16-11-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know

I think you mean Eucomis. But which one I do not know - there are quite a
few hybrids around.

--
Jeff

Old 16-11-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know

I think you mean Eucomis. But which one I do not know - there are quite a
few hybrids around.

Sorry, forget that - brain disengaged...

--
Jeff

Old 16-11-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 12:49:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know

Thank you so much, Charlie. This has jogged Ray's memory and he thinks
it came from the head gardener on a local estate. This man died a few
years ago but he was a frequent visitor here and had a passion for
white flowering plants. I've done a Google image search on this and I
think you've hit it. Thanks from all of us, especially as the donor was
a particular favourite of us all.

Old 22-12-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 12:49:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know

I don't know how Charlie but I've only just seen this. Do you know why
the Pole bit? As in Pole Carew, Carew Pole, or just straight-as-a?
;-) Thank you for this info. I'll pass it on to Ray.

Old 23-12-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
On 2009-11-16 12:49:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,

says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know

I don't know how Charlie but I've only just seen this. Do you know why
the Pole bit? As in Pole Carew, Carew Pole, or just straight-as-a?
;-) Thank you for this info. I'll pass it on to Ray.

My typing is not good capitals all over the shop! should be
Eucomis pole-evansii. Pole-Evans was a botanist I think, certainly a lot
of different plants carry that ending wether the Pole bit comes from any
conection with the Carew-Poles I don't know
Old 23-12-2009, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-23 12:56:06 +0000, Charlie Pridham

In article , says...
On 2009-11-16 12:49:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,

says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know

I don't know how Charlie but I've only just seen this. Do you know why
the Pole bit? As in Pole Carew, Carew Pole, or just straight-as-a?
;-) Thank you for this info. I'll pass it on to Ray.

My typing is not good capitals all over the shop! should be
Eucomis pole-evansii. Pole-Evans was a botanist I think, certainly a lot
of different plants carry that ending wether the Pole bit comes from any
conection with the Carew-Poles I don't know

Very interesting and again, many thanks. I'll get some images for Ray
to have a look at when he's out of his sickbed! It would be good to be
able to put a name to it.

Old 24-12-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 12:49:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
Ray was given this some time ago and we've never had a certain ID on
it. Does anyone happen to know which it is? I hope the pic is clear
enough because it's too late to take another now! It's probably about
2' tall in a pot and it's one of the 'beefy' ones.
http://i37.tinypic.com/11se5pz.jpg

Looks like a Comosa X Pole avensii hybrid, whether its got a name or not
I dont know

I don't know how Charlie but I've only just seen this. Do you know why
the Pole bit? As in Pole Carew, Carew Pole, or just straight-as-a? ;-)
Thank you for this info. I'll pass it on to Ray.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illtyd_Buller_Pole-Evans

regards,

someone

Old 27-12-2009, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 12:49:00 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Thank you. That seems to put the name straight. Now we just have to
be sure it's the right one.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Eucomis autumnalis - Pine Apple Lily Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 13-07-2007 04:41 PM
Eucomis bicolor - overwintering K United Kingdom 12 23-10-2003 11:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Eucomis bicolor K United Kingdom 4 03-03-2003 06:24 PM
Eucomis Bicolour - From seed Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 12:42 AM