Old 02-03-2003, 12:12 PM

Default Eucomis bicolor

I recently bought a pack of 2 of these bulbs at my local GC and there's not
a lot of info with them. I intend to plant them in a container. Does
anyone have any tips please?

Old 02-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , K
writes

I recently bought a pack of 2 of these bulbs at my local GC and there's not
a lot of info with them. I intend to plant them in a container. Does
anyone have any tips please?

IME they're fairly straightforward. I grow them with the tips just
touching the surface of the soil, and they just grow. They will divide,
so you get more and more of them. Once you have more than you can cope
with, it's worth trying one or two outside in warm spots where they're
sheltered over winter, otherwise, you'll need to bring them indoors over
winter.

They floor quite late in the summer, and flowers and seed stage are both
decorative so they give a display over a long period.

They're quite good slug food, though hippeastrums are preferred.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 02-03-2003, 11:44 PM
TheGardener

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , K
writes

[...]

One thing the books don't tell you though - if you grow them in an enclosed
space such as a greenhouse, porch or conservatory - the smell of the flowers
is really horrible! I never noticed this until last year, when I had a few
in the greenhouse (I usually grow them in pots outdoors). When I opened the
door in the morning, the smell was like stale and rotting food :~(((( If
you grow them outside though, you shouldn't get this problem, as the smell
tends to dissipate fairly quickly! They also seed about very easily, and
seeds will germinate in autumn, especially if they fall onto gravel! A few
years before they reach flowering size though.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 03-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Charlie Pridham

"K" wrote in message

I recently bought a pack of 2 of these bulbs at my local GC and there's

not
a lot of info with them. I intend to plant them in a container. Does
anyone have any tips please?

One of my favourite plants :~) I plant about 6" deep outside (below the

frost line) they appear in a rush 1st of June, which is quite late but are
still looking good in November, they are gross feeders and if growing in
pots repot each February before the new roots form (my potted ones live
under the bench untill the shoots appear) They are pollinated by flys hence
the not nice smell!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 03-03-2003, 06:24 PM

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I recently bought a pack of 2 of these bulbs at my local GC and there's
: not
: a lot of info with them. I intend to plant them in a container. Does
: anyone have any tips please?
:
: K
:
: One of my favourite plants :~) I plant about 6" deep outside (below the
: frost line) they appear in a rush 1st of June, which is quite late but are
: still looking good in November, they are gross feeders and if growing in
: pots repot each February before the new roots form (my potted ones live
: under the bench untill the shoots appear) They are pollinated by flys
hence
: the not nice smell!
:
: --
: Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
: http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
: Holders of National Plant Collection of Clematis viticella (cvs)

Thanks to all for the advice, I shall be planting them tomorrow in a pot -
definitely to be kept outside for the summer!!

:
:

Eucomis comoso Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 20-07-2008 02:51 AM
Eucomis autumnalis - Pine Apple Lily Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 13-07-2007 04:41 PM
Eucomis bicolor - overwintering K United Kingdom 12 23-10-2003 11:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolour - From seed Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 12:42 AM