Old 18-11-2009, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Painting a trellis

I'm about to fix a trellis in my new conservatory, I want to grow a
Jasmine on it.
I would like to paint it white before fixing on the wall, can anyone
reccomend a type of paint that would not be toxic to Jasminium
Stephanense please. It would be decorative rather than protective.
Thanks
Don

Old 18-11-2009, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Donwill
writes
I'm about to fix a trellis in my new conservatory, I want to grow a
Jasmine on it.
I would like to paint it white before fixing on the wall, can anyone
reccomend a type of paint that would not be toxic to Jasminium
Stephanense please. It would be decorative rather than protective.
Thanks
Don

There are now water based wood paints on the market. They are far less
offensive than the normal gloss paints. I don't think it mentions
Jaminium on the tin one way or the other.
--
hugh

Old 18-11-2009, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:
I'm about to fix a trellis in my new conservatory, I want to grow a
Jasmine on it.
I would like to paint it white before fixing on the wall, can anyone
reccomend a type of paint that would not be toxic to Jasminium
Stephanense please. It would be decorative rather than protective.
Thanks
Don

Sadolin White Woodstain
Water based, satin finish, long lasting. I have used it on exterior
woodwork and it has lasted in excess of 4 years. No prep needed, around
£12 per litre

Malcolm
Old 19-11-2009, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm wrote:
Donwill wrote:
I'm about to fix a trellis in my new conservatory, I want to grow a
Jasmine on it.
I would like to paint it white before fixing on the wall, can anyone
reccomend a type of paint that would not be toxic to Jasminium
Stephanense please. It would be decorative rather than protective.
Thanks
Don

Sadolin White Woodstain
Water based, satin finish, long lasting. I have used it on exterior
woodwork and it has lasted in excess of 4 years. No prep needed,
around £12 per litre

Malcolm

Thanks for that, but is it non toxic to twining plants coming in to
contact with it?

Don
Old 19-11-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
Malcolm wrote:
Donwill wrote:
I'm about to fix a trellis in my new conservatory, I want to grow a
Jasmine on it.
I would like to paint it white before fixing on the wall, can anyone
reccomend a type of paint that would not be toxic to Jasminium
Stephanense please. It would be decorative rather than protective.
Thanks
Don

Sadolin White Woodstain
Water based, satin finish, long lasting. I have used it on exterior
woodwork and it has lasted in excess of 4 years. No prep needed, around
£12 per litre

Malcolm

Thanks for that, but is it non toxic to twining plants coming in to
contact with it?

Don

I would say yes on the grounds that I know of no modern paints that would
have a toxic effect on any plant. I would avoid coatings that are marketed
as wood preservers although most of those are now fairly harmless

Old 19-11-2009, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , rupert
writes

"Donwill" wrote in message
Malcolm wrote:
Donwill wrote:
[...]

That's because they are not actually preservers if you read what it says
in the small print
--
hugh

Old 20-11-2009, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Donwill
writes
Malcolm wrote:
Donwill wrote:
I'm about to fix a trellis in my new conservatory, I want to grow a
Jasmine on it.
I would like to paint it white before fixing on the wall, can
anyone reccomend a type of paint that would not be toxic to
Jasminium Stephanense please. It would be decorative rather than
protective.
Thanks
Don

Sadolin White Woodstain
Water based, satin finish, long lasting. I have used it on exterior
woodwork and it has lasted in excess of 4 years. No prep needed,
around £12 per litre

Malcolm

Thanks for that, but is it non toxic to twining plants coming in to
contact with it?

Don

Very probably being water based but check the tin or perhaps find the
manufacturers website and ask them. Wood treatments (colourings and
water resistance improvers) which are water based are non-harmful once
applied and allowed to dry.
--
hugh

Old 20-11-2009, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh wrote:
In message , Donwill
writes
Malcolm wrote:
Donwill wrote:
[...]

Have tried the water based Sadolin.
Will fix it to the wall today.
Thanks Don
Old 20-11-2009, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Donwill
writes
I'm about to fix a trellis in my new conservatory, I want to grow a
Jasmine on it.
I would like to paint it white before fixing on the wall, can anyone
reccomend a type of paint that would not be toxic to Jasminium
Stephanense please. It would be decorative rather than protective.
Thanks
Don

Having searched various outlets for a plain wooden trellis with decent
sized diamonds, ignoring the majority of white plastic ones, I left mine
"natural" when I fixed them to the garage wall. They have lasted
several years...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Painting Chain Link Fence AuralFeast Gardening 7 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
painting fence margaret Gardening 1 27-04-2003 05:44 AM
Korean Literati Painting Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 24-01-2003 03:55 AM
[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"? Anton Nijhuis Bonsai 5 24-01-2003 03:46 AM
Greenhouse painting martyn birch United Kingdom 3 02-11-2002 11:01 PM