Old 19-11-2009, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grafting apples

Hi,

I did bud grafting couple of weeks ago and winter has set in. It was a bit
difficult to uplift the bark but I did manage. I will leave it for a month
as during the winter nothing is going to happen.

Also, I want to do layering. Shall I do it now and leave it for the winter
months?

Rajinder

Old 19-11-2009, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rajinder Nijjhar" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I did bud grafting couple of weeks ago and winter has set in. It was a
bit difficult to uplift the bark but I did manage. I will leave it for a
month as during the winter nothing is going to happen.

Also, I want to do layering. Shall I do it now and leave it for the
winter months?

Rajinder

I see no real reason why you shouldn't. I have certainly layered plants in
winter with success. Many plants that are layered take at least a year to
form their own roots, so they'll be layered during next winter, if not this.

Spider

Old 22-11-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:

I did bud grafting couple of weeks ago and winter has set in. It was a bit
difficult to uplift the bark but I did manage. I will leave it for a month
as during the winter nothing is going to happen.

Most places recommend bud grafting in summer, not that I've done it - I've
stuck to scion wood grafting in early spring. It'll be interesting to know
how you get on.

Old 23-11-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 22, 10:37*pm, (Jim Jackson) wrote:
Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:
I did bud grafting couple of weeks ago and winter has set in. *It was a bit
difficult to uplift the bark but I did manage. *I will leave it for a month
as during the winter nothing is going to happen.

Most places recommend bud grafting in summer, not that I've done it - I've
stuck to scion wood grafting in early spring. It'll be interesting to know
how you get on.

Hi,

I like Jim thought you Chip Bud and “T” bud in the Summer. From what
I can understand this is the time when the bark is “slipping” and easy
to expose the cambium layer this is especially helpful when “T”
budding.

Again I thought you Winter graft your scion wood in Winter, late
February or there about’s.

Check these sites out, it may be of use.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG0532.html

http://midfex.blip.tv/posts?view=archive

Good Luck

Gary.
Old 23-11-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:

I did bud grafting couple of weeks ago and winter has set in. It was a bit
difficult to uplift the bark but I did manage. I will leave it for a month
as during the winter nothing is going to happen.

Hello Rajinder,

How are the vine cuttings that I gave you doing?

David

http://rance.org.uk

grafting apples enigma Gardening 21 22-04-2008 04:31 AM
Grafting books? Gary Woods Edible Gardening 1 18-03-2003 08:08 PM
Grafting books? Gary Woods Edible Gardening 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
grafting japanese maples Karen United Kingdom 1 10-03-2003 08:09 PM
[IBC] Practicing Grafting Brent Walston Bonsai 0 27-02-2003 04:55 PM