Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rosemary

I have always pruned my rosemary after flowering, that is fine and it works
but what do you do when your Rosemary is flowering right now at the start of
the winter :-)

kate

Old 04-12-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-04 11:12:28 +0000, "Kate Morgan" said:

I have always pruned my rosemary after flowering, that is fine and it
works but what do you do when your Rosemary is flowering right now at
the start of the winter :-)

kate

Enjoy it? ;-) We have one in a pot doing just the same atm. It's
covered in flowers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-12-2009, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have always pruned my rosemary after flowering, that is fine and it works
but what do you do when your Rosemary is flowering right now at the start
of the winter :-)

kate

Don't prune it now - winter frosts will damage the plant. Rosemary can be a
bit tender so take a couple of cuttings as possible replacements.
R.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have always pruned my rosemary after flowering, that is fine and it
works but what do you do when your Rosemary is flowering right now at the
start of the winter :-)

kate

Don't prune it now - winter frosts will damage the plant. Rosemary can be
a bit tender so take a couple of cuttings as possible replacements.
R.

Yes I have got some cuttings waiting in the wings, isn't it fun to find
things flowering out of season, its a real joy on a horrid day altho today
has not been so bad so far :-)

kate

Old 04-12-2009, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have always pruned my rosemary after flowering, that is fine and it
works but what do you do when your Rosemary is flowering right now at the
start of the winter :-)

kate

Don't prune it now - winter frosts will damage the plant. Rosemary can
be a bit tender so take a couple of cuttings as possible replacements.
R.

Yes I have got some cuttings waiting in the wings, isn't it fun to find
things flowering out of season, its a real joy on a horrid day altho today
has not been so bad so far :-)

kate

Yes it is fun. My wife counted 23 different plants flowering in our front
garden alone including welsh poppies, cowslips, geraniums, pinks, fuschias.
R.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-04 13:36:13 +0000, "Ragnar" said:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have always pruned my rosemary after flowering, that is fine and it
works but what do you do when your Rosemary is flowering right now at the
start of the winter :-)

kate

Don't prune it now - winter frosts will damage the plant. Rosemary can
be a bit tender so take a couple of cuttings as possible replacements.
R.

Yes I have got some cuttings waiting in the wings, isn't it fun to find
things flowering out of season, its a real joy on a horrid day altho today
has not been so bad so far :-)

kate

Yes it is fun. My wife counted 23 different plants flowering in our front
garden alone including welsh poppies, cowslips, geraniums, pinks, fuschias.
R.

Lots of things flowering but we still have the most appalling low
cloud, grey and gloomy day here. But the other day I drove through a
lane near here and there was a clump of cow parsley in full flower,
with more to come. That did cheer me up.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Annual unseasonal flowering thread

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
news:qPednU2okbvCkITWnZ2dnUVZ8rKdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
I have always pruned my rosemary after flowering, that is fine and it
works but what do you do when your Rosemary is flowering right now at the
start of the winter :-)

kate

Don't prune it now - winter frosts will damage the plant. Rosemary can
be a bit tender so take a couple of cuttings as possible replacements.
R.

Yes I have got some cuttings waiting in the wings, isn't it fun to find
things flowering out of season, its a real joy on a horrid day altho today
has not been so bad so far :-)

kate

Yes it is fun. My wife counted 23 different plants flowering in our front
garden alone including welsh poppies, cowslips, geraniums, pinks, fuschias.
R.

Abutilon megapotamicum, Abutilon 'Kentish Belle', Abutilon globosum,
Malva x clementii, Malva 'Bicolor' and 'Princesse de Lignes', Meconopsis
cambrica, Anisodontea capensis, Anisodontea x hypomadura, Fuchsia, Hebe.
Also Anisodontea elegans and Malva canariensis, except that I've just
brought them indoors for the winter.

I've been noticing also sorts of stuff in flower elsewhere - Lobularia
maritima, Campanula persicifolia, Sidalcea, Geranium sanguineum,
Antirrhinum majus, Pelargonium x hortorum.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
countymayo.j writes

I planted some mixed edible flower seeds and I notice the Marigold is
flowering, everything else is dead.

I took some seed from my friends really really red nasturtiums and put
them down in the greenhouse whilst i planted some cuttings. Trouble is i
put them on damp sand in a tray and they germinated and are now
flowering in there!! Not sure I'll get them through the winter!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-12-2009, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article
,
countymayo.j writes

I planted some mixed edible flower seeds and I notice the Marigold is
flowering, everything else is dead.

I took some seed from my friends really really red nasturtiums and put
them down in the greenhouse whilst i planted some cuttings. Trouble is
i put them on damp sand in a tray and they germinated and are now
flowering in there!! Not sure I'll get them through the winter!

As long as the greenhouse stays above zero, they'll be OK. I usually end
up with a nasturtium somewhere in the greenhouse.

--
Kay

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM