Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Playing catch-up

Got fahsands of headers to look at, so if you wonder why I'm replying to
items with whishers...

--
Rusty
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote ..
Got fahsands of headers to look at, so if you wonder why I'm replying to
items with whishers...

You been away then? Anywhere nice?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 07-12-2009, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Rusty Hinge" wrote ..
Got fahsands of headers to look at, so if you wonder why I'm replying
to items with whishers...

You been away then? Anywhere nice?

No - box went woobly, then Zetnet seems to have died and their suport
number had a recorded message on the end of it saying (essentially)
"Sod-off - we're busy coping with the mess we've made" and then cutting
off the line.

So, found another ISP (Paston) and am in a steep learning-curve in an
all-Linux environment.

--
Rusty
Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Got fahsands of headers to look at, so if you wonder why I'm replying to
items with whishers...

Absolutely delighted to see you, auld yin!

I don't know if you got any of my emails, so could you email me
with what I presume is your new email address?

I know a lot of people who will be delighted to hear from you... ;-)

How naice...

If you didn't get replies, I didn't get the emus. Just take out the
foobar - or, with a similar foobarless extension, the old tony.anson
monniker serves innit.

In touch with meny on the Zetwas forum.

--
Rusty
Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote ..
Got fahsands of headers to look at, so if you wonder why I'm replying to
items with whishers...

You been away then? Anywhere nice?

No - box went woobly, then Zetnet seems to have died and their suport
number had a recorded message on the end of it saying (essentially)
"Sod-off - we're busy coping with the mess we've made" and then cutting
off the line.

So, found another ISP (Paston) and am in a steep learning-curve in an
all-Linux environment.

Funny enough we have a new PC (Windows 7) and I was thinking of setting the
old XP one up as full Open Source, i.e. Ubantu OS etc. just to see the
difference.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-12-2009, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote ..
Got fahsands of headers to look at, so if you wonder why I'm replying
to items with whishers...

You been away then? Anywhere nice?

No - box went woobly, then Zetnet seems to have died and their suport
number had a recorded message on the end of it saying (essentially)
"Sod-off - we're busy coping with the mess we've made" and then cutting
off the line.

So, found another ISP (Paston) and am in a steep learning-curve in an
all-Linux environment.

Funny enough we have a new PC (Windows 7) and I was thinking of setting
the old XP one up as full Open Source, i.e. Ubantu OS etc. just to see the
difference.

Bob,
Ubuntu is a breeze to set up. It's quirky fun and I enjoy dabbling with
different OS's just for the fun of it.

Have 2 XP boxes here networked with the newest Ubuntu running alongside and
an XP lappy (work one) and they all "Talk" to each other without a lot of
hassle.

Have a go........

Old 18-12-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote ..
Got fahsands of headers to look at, so if you wonder why I'm
replying to items with whishers...

You been away then? Anywhere nice?

No - box went woobly, then Zetnet seems to have died and their suport
number had a recorded message on the end of it saying (essentially)
"Sod-off - we're busy coping with the mess we've made" and then
cutting off the line.

So, found another ISP (Paston) and am in a steep learning-curve in an
all-Linux environment.

Funny enough we have a new PC (Windows 7) and I was thinking of setting
the old XP one up as full Open Source, i.e. Ubantu OS etc. just to see
the difference.

The difference is - er - different, IYSWIM. My big box has Debian
(Lenny) as OS, and you wouldn't have much trouble with that using Gnome
as a 'dektop'.

I don't like KDE for that purpose, but since the big box refused to play
with anything NT-based, I can't just plug in the Windows tray and use
all the usual programs.

Unfortunately, the big box is in the study with all its peripherals,
where there is no GPRS signal, so either I ove a full tower, scanner,
printer, keyboard, monitor, ext HDD, ext CD/VD etc into the front
bedroom, or I use this ickle flaptop - which has KDE as a 'desktop' display.

If you are thinking of tryig Ubantu (or Knoppix) or similar, I'd suggest
that you acquire from the web, or from a coverdisc, a live CD image, and
burn it to disc.

Then (if you haven't done so already) set your BIOS to boot first from
CD. That way you can have the best of both worlds.

AFAIK, Windows still can't access EXT2 filesystem

--
Rusty

Anyone catch the orchid show in NYC? RPM1 Orchids 0 20-03-2004 04:52 PM
Tips to catch Bristlenose Leong Goh Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 26-08-2003 10:44 AM
Best way to catch Koi Pickmaster Ponds 6 31-07-2003 12:22 AM
advice needed for spring cleaning/catch those leeches Mike Sullivan Ponds 0 19-04-2003 04:32 PM
OT - how do you catch geckos? Tony Sanders Ponds 10 27-03-2003 12:44 AM