Old 18-12-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Quiet in here!

Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-12-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 18, 10:59*am, Sacha wrote:
Too cold and icy for gardening? *We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. *I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

sssh! mini-hibernation in progress
Old 18-12-2009, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

Your lucky! For once the weather forcast was spot on, and we had 20cm of
snow overnight here in South East Kent.

Old 18-12-2009, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:59:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

Black skies and snow flurries here, but nothing sticking. Tree down at
the other end of the high street.
Old 18-12-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-18 10:39:00 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:59:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

It's eye wateringly cold on the west coast here in Zuid Holland.

Nice day for boating?
http://www.compagnieshaven.nl/compon...,8/lang,nl_NL/

I'm sitting in my snug, warm study and have gone shivery cold just
looking at that!
--
Sacha

Old 18-12-2009, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-18 10:45:07 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:59:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

Black skies and snow flurries here, but nothing sticking. Tree down at
the other end of the high street.

Yes, we saw a bit of your forecast on ours last night! I thought of
you and of my poor family. If Jersey has a frosty white winter for the
third year in a row, it will surely be a record. If we got one bad
year in five it was still fairly unusual.

Old 18-12-2009, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-18 10:12:25 +0000, "~Brian~" said:

Sacha wrote:
Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

Your lucky! For once the weather forcast was spot on, and we had 20cm of
snow overnight here in South East Kent.

We have black sky overhead right now and blue sky on the horizon. I
wonder which will win. Unfortunately, given the wind direction - SE -
I think it will be the black stuff.

Old 18-12-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-18 10:39:00 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:59:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

It's eye wateringly cold on the west coast here in Zuid Holland.

Nice day for boating?
http://www.compagnieshaven.nl/compon...,8/lang,nl_NL/

I'm sitting in my snug, warm study and have gone shivery cold just
looking at that!

You should have seen it yesterday. Grown men behaving like lemmings
trying to do
away with themselves. A guy took a trailer sailer out of the water put
it on his
trailer and disappeared into the snow storm. I bet he skidded at the first bend
or at least long before he got home to Germany.

Any reason for taking it out? Do you get bad winter gales there, so no
insurance? I did venture out this morning and it really is terribly
cold, though I know the east are getting it much worse than we are.
But where water has run off the fields and down the lanes, there were
long icy patches on the steepest part of the lane - ugh! It only went
to -1C last night but with the wind it seems a lot colder.

Old 18-12-2009, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-18 12:24:06 +0000, Aries said:

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:59:08 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

Very OT - I'm quiet for two reasons. I'm suffering with an horrendous cold
and bad chest which I could well do without, grrrh. I have son and family
arriving later today travelling in the snow from West Sussex! They're
staying overnight and all day tomorrow for a pre Christmas visit so I hope I
don't pass anything virulent on to them. I have loads of stuff to do before
they arrive, including preparing an Italian meal for later this evening.

Drat

Think I'll go back to bed for an hour or so

Oh very bad luck to be ill with all that happening, Val. Ray has the
same sort of bug and has had it dragging on for a while but now it's
really taken hold, so he's in bed - very unusual for him. This means
I'm without my usual Christmas handyman/chauffeur but unlike you, I
don't have to cope with people arriving, even if it is family who can
pitch in. Do you need antibiotics because if so, go and get some
today! Ray's doc gave him some this morning to take if he worsened
over the week end and thank goodness he trusted Ray to be sensible
about whether he needs them or not. My best, judging by his cough, is
that he will! Look out for yourself and don't be ill for Christmas.

Old 18-12-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of the
garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is absolutely
bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east coast, it must be
arctic for all of you.

Yup, what my Mrs calls a lazy wind. It doesn't bother to go round you, it
just goes through you. And of course it's quiet because it's nearly time to
start the Xmas shopping.

Steve

Old 18-12-2009, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-18 16:15:26 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

Yup, what my Mrs calls a lazy wind. It doesn't bother to go round you,
it just goes through you. And of course it's quiet because it's nearly
time to start the Xmas shopping.

Steve

Hah! There speaks a man - nearly time....... Let me enlighten you - a
pair of Marigolds (bright yellow, rubber, wives for the use of) is NOT
going to get you out of trouble! ;-)

Old 19-12-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of the
garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is absolutely
bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east coast, it must be
arctic for all of you.

It has been sub-zero all day today.
A relatively thin covering of snow, but it isn't going to go away any time
soon.
Today has beel lovely - bright and sunny - but not a day for gardening.
The much-mentioned outdoor tomato plants are now well and truly dead.

This has also stopped my outdoor construction work.
I still have some hardcore to put down, and then some concrete to lay.
However you shouldn't lay concrete at below 4C so by the time everything has
warmed up again Christmas will be under way.
Methinks I have a holiday until next year :-)

I can't remeber the last time we had snow (at least, laying snow) before
Christmas in coastal Suffolk.
Most years we don't get any snow at all, or only a brief fall which is gone
a few hours later.
I wonder if this is a harbinger of a long cold winter?

Cheers

Dave R

Old 19-12-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David WE Roberts writes

It has been sub-zero all day today.
A relatively thin covering of snow, but it isn't going to go away any
time soon.

Just back from a Waterson-Carthy concert. The driveway is a complete
sheet of ice (despite our neighbour having gritted it well earlier in
the evening) - scary to park the car and even scarier trying to get to
the door without going flying.

Still about a two inch cover of snow everywhere, so I have absolutely no
desire to do any gardening.
--
Kay
Old 19-12-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-19 23:25:01 +0000, K said:

David WE Roberts writes

It has been sub-zero all day today.
A relatively thin covering of snow, but it isn't going to go away any
time soon.

Just back from a Waterson-Carthy concert. The driveway is a complete
sheet of ice (despite our neighbour having gritted it well earlier in
the evening) - scary to park the car and even scarier trying to get to
the door without going flying.

Still about a two inch cover of snow everywhere, so I have absolutely
no desire to do any gardening.

Not even by torchlight? You're such a wimp, Kay...... ;-)))
--
Sacha

Old 19-12-2009, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
Too cold and icy for gardening? We had a white covering some parts of
the garden this morning - nothing horrendous but that east wind is
absolutely bitter still. I feel really sorry for those on the east
coast, it must be arctic for all of you.

It has been sub-zero all day today.
A relatively thin covering of snow,

Thin? You should venture up to Trimley Robert. We've got six inches up
here!
But yes, it is thin in town. I just have to get from one to the other
tomorrow :-{

--
Kathy

It's slow & quiet here, so some more of the same! Wendy7 Orchid Photos 9 17-03-2008 09:05 AM
Been quiet in here.. considering a laguna pressurized filter... Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 2 09-08-2007 07:59 AM
quiet in here Clark[_2_] Lawns 1 04-07-2007 11:21 PM
Quiet here this week! PhalGuy Orchids 15 09-05-2004 04:02 AM
It is too quiet here - Virus FBCS Ponds 9 14-08-2003 03:42 PM