Old 21-12-2009, 02:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Remote weather station

I'm taking the liberty of repeating a query
I sent to this list some time ago.

I've been reading the list since then
(at the time it had been suggested to me elsewhere
that my query should be directed here),
and am fascinated by the quantity of data reported.
How do you all collect it?

But my query was (and is):
Does anyone have experience of a weather station
sending back information over the internet,
preferably by WiFi through a WiFi-enabled ADSL modem,
but possibly by USB connection to a remote computer?

The general advice that I have received
is that the Davis Wireless Weather Station VP2
is the best choice, though it requires an additional dongle
if it is to send information back directly over the internet
(through an ADSL modem accepting WiFi input).

I'm not very clear how the apparatus is actually set up,
eg whether one can just put it on the roof,
or if it has to be mounted someway from the house?

Any advice or enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 21-12-2009, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Timothy Murphy wrote:

But my query was (and is):
Does anyone have experience of a weather station
sending back information over the internet,
preferably by WiFi through a WiFi-enabled ADSL modem,
but possibly by USB connection to a remote computer?

The general advice that I have received
is that the Davis Wireless Weather Station VP2
is the best choice, though it requires an additional dongle
if it is to send information back directly over the internet
(through an ADSL modem accepting WiFi input).

I'm not very clear how the apparatus is actually set up,
eg whether one can just put it on the roof,
or if it has to be mounted someway from the house?

Any advice or enlightenment gratefully received.

Wrong newsgroup, I suggest. Try uk.sci.weather: they're very expert there.

HTH

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org
Old 21-12-2009, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus

--
Jeff

Old 21-12-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Newbury wrote:

Does anyone have experience of a weather station
sending back information over the internet,

Wrong newsgroup, I suggest. Try uk.sci.weather: they're very expert there.

It was indeed sent to the wrong newsgroup, by mistake.
(The two are next to each other on my system, and I clicked the wrong one.)
Apologies.

Old 21-12-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-21 13:23:57 +0000, Timothy Murphy said:

Hugh Newbury wrote:

Does anyone have experience of a weather station
sending back information over the internet,

Wrong newsgroup, I suggest. Try uk.sci.weather: they're very expert there.

It was indeed sent to the wrong newsgroup, by mistake.
(The two are next to each other on my system, and I clicked the wrong one.)
Apologies.

Well, I can tell you about the Nexus once my husband has opened it on
Christmas Day - and set it up of course. ;-))
http://www.airandwatercentre.com/nex...n-735-details/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-12-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

For more information on Davis systems (they're American BTW), see
their UK agent at http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/

There are several Davis users who post on uk.sci.weather if you
haven't already found it, if you need advice on internet accessing.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks very much for all that info.
One of the things that slightly puts me off the Davis VP2
is the console, which in my case is a bit of a waste
(both of money and electricity),
since I only want to view the data remotely.

Old 21-12-2009, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:04:44 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I've had a Davis VP2 for five years. It is said by many to be the
best, and it's certainly expensive. But I've had to replace several
bits over that time, such as the anemometer, the temperature/humidity
sensor (twice) and the UV monitor (failed twice, replaced once, didn't
bother the second time), which add to the cost. To be fair, we're in a
very exposed position here with salt gales in the winter, and the salt
penetrates everything, which doesn't do the electronics any good.

snipped but read

Very interesting - thanks.

I've had my Davis VP2 for nearly 3 years and (touch wood) I've not had to
replace anything yet :-) Probably in a much less exposed area than you.

The one big difference between yours and mine is the reception. I get very
good reception from 50 meters away and through 4 walls. Do newer models
have better reception I wonder ?

And yes - thoroughly recommended - although expensive, I wouldn't be
without mine. Also got it from www.weatherstations.co.uk - good service.

--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton