Old 31-12-2009, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet pepper longevity?

We have a 'Californian Wonder' sweet pepper at work that has already
produced two crops of peppers since last March and is now into its
third set of flowers. Anyone know how long a sweet pepper can live
and continue producing fruits? Or are we now into the realm of
experimental pepper growing?
Cheers,
Compo in Caithness
Old 31-12-2009, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo in Caithness" wrote
We have a 'Californian Wonder' sweet pepper at work that has already
produced two crops of peppers since last March and is now into its
third set of flowers. Anyone know how long a sweet pepper can live
and continue producing fruits? Or are we now into the realm of
experimental pepper growing?

I thought they are perennials so can live years in the right conditions.
Usually they don't survive our low light damp cold winters.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-12-2009, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Compo in Caithness writes
We have a 'Californian Wonder' sweet pepper at work that has already
produced two crops of peppers since last March and is now into its
third set of flowers. Anyone know how long a sweet pepper can live
and continue producing fruits? Or are we now into the realm of
experimental pepper growing?

It's one of the many things which is perennial in its home country, but
which we grow as an annual because the plants doesn't like our cold dark
winters. How well it does in the next few months depends on whether you
can give it its preferred combination of warmth and light. It's possible
to keep chilli peppers going, on a bright windowsill in a warm house,
although most people reckon you get a better start next season by
growing afresh from seed. But sweet peppers seem to be even more
demanding of warmth and light.
--
Kay
Old 31-12-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Dec, 12:53, K wrote:
Compo in Caithness writes

[...]

I had a sneaky feeling that they are short-lived perennials but wasn't
sure. It will be interesting to see if we can get them through the
worst of the winter weather safely......
Cheers,
Compo in Caithness
Old 31-12-2009, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Compo in Caithness wrote:
On 31 Dec, 12:53, K wrote:
Compo in Caithness writes

[...]

Wot-ho Compo...

I take it that it's the residual glow from Dounreay that's providing the
extra light?

--
Rusty

Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Dec 2009, 20:08, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
Compo in Caithness wrote:
On 31 Dec, 12:53, K wrote:
Compo in Caithness writes

[...]

Give me Dounreay rather than covering the entire county with wind
turbines - anyday! Sad to sasy, Dounreay has been the best thing that
has happened to Caithness in the past century. It brought prosperity,
jobs and stability to an erstwhile dying county. There were plenty of
mistakes made and much environmental damage done - but lessons have
been learned and the industry has the potential to fill the energy gap
with an emission-free form of generation until sensible alternatives,
such as marine generators, become a viable option. The Scottish
government wrote to me admitting that there is over 20GW of potential
energy to be had from the Pentland Firth alone. All that is needed is
to stop funding wasteful wind turbines and put the money into the
marine energy pot. Rant over,
Compo in Caithness
Old 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Compo in Caithness wrote:
On 31 Dec 2009, 20:08, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
Compo in Caithness wrote:
On 31 Dec, 12:53, K wrote:
Compo in Caithness writes
[...]

EG - Really shouldn't have pressed that button innit. /EG

Hoopy New Year. We have Watten Weather Wymondham way, what?.

--
Rusty
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:
Give me Dounreay rather than covering the entire county with wind
turbines - anyday!

EG - Really shouldn't have pressed that button innit. /EG

Hoopy New Year. We have Watten Weather Wymondham way, what?.

--
Rusty

Yes Rusty me owd, That butting should be marked "Do not press" in blood
red capitals.

I was hoping to transplant my outdoor hops to a new spot this weekend
but alas, the ground has been covered with frozen snow for over a
fortnight now and it is snowing again as I type :-( to make matters
worse, hops have rocketed in price this year and I need all the
home-grown I can get.

--
Compo - Still here.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

When the snow clears, I'll take a look at the remnants of the hop,
part of which I sent Rusty, and will see if there's enough to send
you another bit. Hopefully there should be... I bought that hop
from Poyntfield, on the Black Isle, at least 15 years ago.

--
AnneJ

If you remember Anne, you left me two pieces at the YHA in Crianlarch
many years ago. I still have them, one in the tunnel and one on a wall
outside. The tunnel one needs replanting and splitting and the outside
one is in urgent need of re-siting. I will split the tunnel one soon
and so shouldn't neeed any further addition to the stock - but a big
thank-you anyway. I still wonder what breed of hop they are - at the

--
Compo - Still here.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Simonite wrote:
[...]

(Gosh! Crianlarich YH: haven't been there for fifty years.) But these
hops: are they male and female created ye them? I thought one needed an
m for every so many f: is that not the case?

--
Mike.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle View Post
But these
hops: are they male and female created ye them? I thought one needed an
m for every so many f: is that not the case?
On the continent, growing male hops is illegal and subject to heavy penalty, because pilsner-type beer is made from unfertilised hop flowers. And a single male can "ruin" (from their perspective) the crop for a large distance around. For British-style ale, you need fertilised flowers.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from echinosum contains these words:

For British-style ale, you need fertilised
flowers.
--
echinosum

I make a passable Burton style ale with my unfertilised ones. The alpha
acid content is different but one can compensate by trial and error.

--
Compo - Still here.