Old 01-01-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Erecting a greenhouse

Hi gang,

I am about to erect a Rhino 8x10 greenhouse in the veg garden. The
only plot available is on soil (no hardstanding available). I am not
sure whether it is worth digging and concreting a full foundation as
per a house or whether I should just use the four concrete block
system to anchor it down. I would welcome any tips/pros and cons about
this job and the erection process in general.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness
Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Jan, 10:34, Compo in Caithness wrote:
Hi gang,

I am about to erect a Rhino 8x10 greenhouse in the veg garden. *The
only plot available is on soil (no hardstanding available). *I am not
sure whether it is worth digging and concreting a full foundation as
per a house or whether I should just use the four concrete block
system to anchor it down. I would welcome any tips/pros and cons about
this job and the erection process in general.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

If you don't have a firm base the frame will bend and twist, as the
soil heaves and swells and shrinks. the door will stick, and some of
the glass might crack.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 06:07:42 -0800 (PST), bobharvey
wrote:

On 1 Jan, 10:34, Compo in Caithness wrote:
Hi gang,

I am about to erect a Rhino 8x10 greenhouse in the veg garden. *The
only plot available is on soil (no hardstanding available). *I am not
sure whether it is worth digging and concreting a full foundation as
per a house or whether I should just use the four concrete block
system to anchor it down. I would welcome any tips/pros and cons about
this job and the erection process in general.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

If you don't have a firm base the frame will bend and twist, as the
soil heaves and swells and shrinks. the door will stick, and some of
the glass might crack.

Concurred. A rigid immovable base is essential.
(And a lot cheaper than starting again in a couple of year's time,
replacing glass etc )

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to the advice gang. I had originally planned to dig the
fou8ndation as per Janet's advice but was dithering becuse the supplier
was suggesting that four blocks should hold teh frame. I told them that
I lived in the far north of Scotland but I don't think they appreciate
fully the implications of that.

A continuous foundation it shall be.

--
Compo in Caithness
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Simonite" wrote in message
Thanks to the advice gang. I had originally planned to dig the
fou8ndation as per Janet's advice but was dithering becuse the supplier
was suggesting that four blocks should hold teh frame. I told them that
I lived in the far north of Scotland but I don't think they appreciate
fully the implications of that.

A continuous foundation it shall be.

--
Compo in Caithness

Just a little bit of advice if I may.

Make sure it is dead level and also make sure it is square. Are you familiar
with the 3 - 4 - 5 measurement to ensure a
square? Or, use the square corner of a sheet of hardboard/ply/blockboard
etc. And fix it down

Been there. Done that. Greenhouse still standing square and proud :-))

Bottom of the country, Isle of Wight. We get the winds as well ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Jan, 11:07, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Thanks Mike. I have a large piece of hardboard that should do the job
- if the snow ever clears!
Cheers,
Compo in Caithness
Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Simonite wrote:
Thanks to the advice gang. I had originally planned to dig the
fou8ndation as per Janet's advice but was dithering becuse the supplier
was suggesting that four blocks should hold teh frame. I told them that
I lived in the far north of Scotland but I don't think they appreciate
fully the implications of that.

A continuous foundation it shall be.

Sounds rather like a green supplier than a greenhouse one.

The 'bolt it down securely' advice is good for just about anywhere in
the country.

--
Rusty
Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:06:26 +0000, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Paul Simonite wrote:
Thanks to the advice gang. I had originally planned to dig the
fou8ndation as per Janet's advice but was dithering becuse the supplier
was suggesting that four blocks should hold teh frame. I told them that
I lived in the far north of Scotland but I don't think they appreciate
fully the implications of that.

A continuous foundation it shall be.

Sounds rather like a green supplier than a greenhouse one.

The 'bolt it down securely' advice is good for just about anywhere in
the country.

Well screw it down into heavy-duty rawlplugs anyway. A greenhouse is
remarkably heavy and wind resistant once all that glass is installed.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Paul Simonite wrote:
Thanks to the advice gang. I had originally planned to dig the
fou8ndation as per Janet's advice but was dithering becuse the supplier
was suggesting that four blocks should hold teh frame. I told them that
I lived in the far north of Scotland but I don't think they appreciate
fully the implications of that.

A continuous foundation it shall be.

Sounds rather like a green supplier than a greenhouse one.

The 'bolt it down securely' advice is good for just about anywhere in
the country.

Well screw it down into heavy-duty rawlplugs anyway. A greenhouse is
remarkably heavy and wind resistant once all that glass is installed.

And wind is remarkably playful...

Oops! Pardon!

--
Rusty
Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Depending on your soil, you could dig a hole 2 feet deep. Build a wall around the edge of it big enough for the greenhouse to sit on. Line the floor with concrete blocks (they are porous and will allow water through in case of flooding). Your soil also has to do the same. Angle iron bars resting on the wall can become staging support. I grow everything in pots in the greenhouse - easier for sterilizing. The wall gives added height - my tomato plants regularly reach 10 feet high and average about 10 trusses. You will still need to bolt your greenhouse to the wall.
Bigal

Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bigal contains these words:

y tomato plants regularly reach 10 feet
high and average about 10 trusses.

I have been growing toms in the tunnel and NEVER managed more then three
(fully) ripe trusses. I am hoing to do better in the greenhouse.

--
Compo - Still here.