Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default The New Years Day flower count

Wellj ust come on from a search and all I and my little helper
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/Myhelper.jpg
can find are
A few red Hebe flowers, http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rs/RedHebe.jpg
A winter flowering heather, http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rs/Heather.jpg
1 Vinca Major flower http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...wers/Vinca.jpg
1 flower on our winter flowering Jasmin,
A lot of flower on an Abutilon in an Old Cold glass house with glass
missing http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/Abutilon.jpg
and a fuchsia that just has forgoten to fall off
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eadFuchsia.jpg

David Hill
Old 01-01-2010, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Wellj ust come on from a search and all I and my little helper
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/Myhelper.jpg
can find are
A few red Hebe flowers,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rs/RedHebe.jpg
A winter flowering heather,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rs/Heather.jpg
1 Vinca Major flower
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...wers/Vinca.jpg
1 flower on our winter flowering Jasmin,
A lot of flower on an Abutilon in an Old Cold glass house with glass
missing
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/Abutilon.jpg
and a fuchsia that just has forgoten to fall off
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eadFuchsia.jpg

The last few days have all but wiped out any lingering flowers on the
geranuims. However there is one small one hanging on under some foliage so
I'm goint to count it :-)
Three different Hebes, all bluish flowers.
A yellow rose which is looking sorry for itself.
A 'weed' (flower in the wrong place) with yellow dandelion-style flowers.
The outdoor Fuscias are toast (at least, burnt brown).

Photos to follow if I can find a suitable place for them.

Happy New Year!
Snowy and cold but a glorious day with clear blue skies and a seething mob
on Felixstowe Promenade all in new hats, boots, trainers etc.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

The last few days have all but wiped out any lingering flowers on the
geranuims. However there is one small one hanging on under some foliage so
I'm goint to count it :-)

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSC00339.jpg
Three different Hebes, all bluish flowers.

One of them
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSC00341.jpg
A yellow rose which is looking sorry for itself.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSC00340.jpg
A 'weed' (flower in the wrong place) with yellow dandelion-style flowers.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSC00338.jpg

Going down below freezing again.
I may take pity on the geraniums.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

The last few days have all but wiped out any lingering flowers on the
geranuims. However there is one small one hanging on under some
foliage so I'm goint to count it :-)

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...D%202010%20Flo
wer%20Count/DSC00339.jpg
Three different Hebes, all bluish flowers.

One of them
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...D%202010%20Flo
wer%20Count/DSC00341.jpg
A yellow rose which is looking sorry for itself.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...D%202010%20Flo
wer%20Count/DSC00340.jpg
A 'weed' (flower in the wrong place) with yellow dandelion-style flowers.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...D%202010%20Flo
wer%20Count/DSC00338.jpg

Going down below freezing again.
I may take pity on the geraniums.

Malva 'Bicolor' and Malva 'Princesse de Lignes' (I'm not sure that they
are different); Abutilon megapotamicum and Abutilon 'Kentish Belle'.
Possibly a Hebe (I neglected to check).

I didn't see anything else while out walking this afternoon, except for
a single flower on a ragwort of some description (most likely Senecio
jacobaea).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-01 17:39:25 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

[...]

Abutilon megapotanicum outdoors? Sorry, Stewart, I forget your
location. What kind of night time temps have you been getting?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-01-01 17:39:25 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

-5C.

Abutilon megaopotamicum may be the hardiest of the Abutilons*, or at
least of those commonly grown. I'm not confident that the species will
survive this winter out of doors, even if there are still some flowers
on it - last winter they survived, but didn't grow away the following
summer. I keep Abutilons going from cuttings.

The stately home 3 miles away has Abutilon megapotamicum 'Variegatum'
growing against a south facing wall; it came through last winter
successfully. Microclimate seems to be important - a milder winter would
still see them off on the allotment site, but the amount of shelter
around the house is sufficient to make a difference. The problem I find
with growing them outdoors is that they are slow in getting into growth
in the spring.

* I don't count Corynabutilon vitifolium, Corynabutilon x suntense and
the other Chilean species as Abutilons. For that matter, it's possible
that botanists will decide that Abutilon megapotamicum, Abutilon
darwinii, Abutilon striatum, Abutilon x hybridum, Abutilon x miilleri,
etc, aren't Abutilons either.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , David WE Roberts
writes

[...]

Yes, the Hebe (possibly salicifolia) has a couple of inflorescences.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-02 09:37:20 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha writes
On 2010-01-01 17:39:25 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
[...]

I'm sure microclimate is important - certainly we find that here but we
wouldn't sell A.megapotanicum for outdoor cultivation, though of
course, anyone is welcome to try pushing the boundaries and some people
do so, with great success.

* I don't count Corynabutilon vitifolium, Corynabutilon x suntense and
the other Chilean species as Abutilons. For that matter, it's possible
that botanists will decide that Abutilon megapotamicum, Abutilon
darwinii, Abutilon striatum, Abutilon x hybridum, Abutilon x miilleri,
etc, aren't Abutilons either.

Abutilon suntense grows on the corner of our house and flowers
remarkably well and prolifically. It's always hugely admired and its
colour is gorgeous.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes

Abutilon megapotanicum outdoors? Sorry, Stewart, I forget your
location. What kind of night time temps have you been getting?

-5C.

Abutilon megaopotamicum may be the hardiest of the Abutilons*, or at
least of those commonly grown. I'm not confident that the species will
survive this winter out of doors, even if there are still some flowers
on it - last winter they survived, but didn't grow away the following
summer. I keep Abutilons going from cuttings.

It should take that, at least if in a protected situation. I have
seen it in some quite cold places. It's certainly iffy, except in
the mildest parts of the UK.

My mother grew it for some years on a south-facing house wall near
Salisbury, and winters were colder then. I have seen it in Cambridge
in very sheltered gardens.

I am wondering if my Solanum crispum will come through, but I sincerely
hope that my Erythrina crista-galli does. That is partially protected,
and is now fairly well established.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-02 13:03:53 +0000, said:

In article ,
[...]

The Erythrina should be alright if it's protected and if it's not too
much of a baby. We know of someone growing one in Hampshire who lost
it last year but it was a youngster and he's having another go!