Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning a new Maple

In October I planted a Norway Maple (Acer Platinoides). The central
shoot of the tree had already been pruned by the nursery (a reputable
online company). There are now about 5 shoots growing from the top
(see he http://bit.ly/4C28vF). It shows the 5 shoots and the
remnants of the central shoot. The part of the tree in the photo is
probably a bit over 4 feet high.

2 questions:

1. Do I need to do anything to treat the remnants of the central
brunch, to stop it rotting / deteriorating?

2. There are 5 shoots coming out at the top. Should I prune a couple
of them out to allow the others room to grow into main branches?

Michael
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:06:09 -0800 (PST), Michael D
wrote:

In October I planted a Norway Maple (Acer Platinoides). The central
shoot of the tree had already been pruned by the nursery (a reputable
online company). There are now about 5 shoots growing from the top
(see he http://bit.ly/4C28vF). It shows the 5 shoots and the
remnants of the central shoot. The part of the tree in the photo is
probably a bit over 4 feet high.

2 questions:

1. Do I need to do anything to treat the remnants of the central
brunch, to stop it rotting / deteriorating?

2. There are 5 shoots coming out at the top. Should I prune a couple
of them out to allow the others room to grow into main branches?

Michael

I would leave well alone. The leader has been pruned out to make it
bushy, but Norway Maple is a big tree and pruning will not stop that.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In October I planted a Norway Maple (Acer Platinoides). The central
shoot of the tree had already been pruned by the nursery (a reputable
online company). There are now about 5 shoots growing from the top
(see he http://bit.ly/4C28vF). It shows the 5 shoots and the
remnants of the central shoot. The part of the tree in the photo is
probably a bit over 4 feet high.

2 questions:

1. Do I need to do anything to treat the remnants of the central
brunch, to stop it rotting / deteriorating?

2. There are 5 shoots coming out at the top. Should I prune a couple
of them out to allow the others room to grow into main branches?

Michael

I would leave well alone. The leader has been pruned out to make it
bushy, but Norway Maple is a big tree and pruning will not stop that.

Pam in Bristol

In Canada, maples are *never* pruned until after the Spring sap has stopped
flowing, late June at the earliest in this area. Is this the same for
Norway and other Acers in the UK?
Graham

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4762 (20100111) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jan, 19:40, "graham" wrote:

In Canada, maples are *never* pruned until after the Spring sap has stopped
flowing, late June at the earliest in this area. *Is this the same for
Norway and other Acers in the UK?
Graham

When I first got the tree I was still a member of the RHS (Royal
Horticultural Society) Helpline. They advised me to prune it when the
tree is completely dormant, ie about now.

Michael
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:49:24 -0800 (PST), Michael D
wrote:

On 11 Jan, 19:40, "graham" wrote:

In Canada, maples are *never* pruned until after the Spring sap has stopped
flowing, late June at the earliest in this area. *Is this the same for
Norway and other Acers in the UK?
Graham

When I first got the tree I was still a member of the RHS (Royal
Horticultural Society) Helpline. They advised me to prune it when the
tree is completely dormant, ie about now.

Michael

Why do you want to prune it? If you want t dwarf maple don't buy a
Norway Maple. What reason did the RHS give for pruning it at all?

Pam in Bristol

Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 10 Jan, 21:06, Michael D wrote:
In October I planted a Norway Maple (Acer Platinoides). *The central
shoot of the tree had already been pruned by the nursery (a reputable
online company). *There are now about 5 shoots growing from the top
(see hehttp://bit.ly/4C28vF). *It shows the 5 shoots and the
remnants of the central shoot. *The part of the tree in the photo is
probably a bit over 4 feet high.

2 questions:

1. *Do I need to do anything to treat the remnants of the central
brunch, to stop it rotting / deteriorating?

2. *There are 5 shoots coming out at the top. *Should I prune a couple
of them out to allow the others room to grow into main branches?

Michael

What on earth did they do that for?????????
Norway Maple is a*big* tree and as such looks better as a specimen if
the central leader is left in - but then you need a park to grow it
in. If you want to rescue it to grow as a large specimen, select one
of those upper branches to become a new leader and severely shorten
the others.
Otherwise it will need continuous attention to keep it compact and
you'll have a 'lollipop tree' or you'll get rid of it now and choose a
suitably sized Acer. It's a lovely genus and you're absolutely spoilt
for choice of wonderful garden plants.

Rod
Old 14-01-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jan, 14:20, Pam Moore wrote:

Why do you want to prune it? *If you want t dwarf maple don't buy a
Norway Maple. *What reason did the RHS give for pruning it at all?

Pam in Bristol

The pruning I've done so far is just to tidy up a a few shoots low
down, ie under about 4 feet high, simply to give a 'normal' trunk.
I'll only prune the 5 shoots at the top if I need to, to get a well
proportioned tree.

Michael
Old 14-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
"In Canada, maples are *never* pruned until after the Spring sap has stopped
flowing, late June at the earliest in this area. Is this the same for
Norway and other Acers in the UK?
That's not a problem with the kinds of maple that naturally grow in Britain, even though the sugar maple looks rather similar to the Norway maple. My neighbour has a Norway maple right on the property boundary, so close that the expansion of the trunk is knocking the fence over. It has suckers from the base that I hack away at whenever I feel like it, and it never weeps sap.
Old 15-01-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

graham;874394 Wrote:
"In Canada, maples are *never* pruned until after the Spring sap has
stopped
flowing, late June at the earliest in this area. Is this the same for
Norway and other Acers in the UK?

That's not a problem with the kinds of maple that naturally grow in
Britain, even though the sugar maple looks rather similar to the Norway
maple. My neighbour has a Norway maple right on the property boundary,
so close that the expansion of the trunk is knocking the fence over. It
has suckers from the base that I hack away at whenever I feel like it,
and it never weeps sap.

The season is too short for sugar maples where I live but other species will
bleed very badly if pruned too early. The same thing applies to the birches
here.
Graham

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4776 (20100115) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 16-01-2010, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jan, 18:24, Rod wrote:
On 10 Jan, 21:06, Michael D wrote:

In October I planted a Norway Maple (Acer Platinoides). *The central
shoot of the tree had already been pruned by the nursery (a reputable
online company). *T

What on earth did they do that for?????????
Norway Maple is a*big* tree and as such looks better as a specimen if
the central leader is left in - but then you need a park to grow it
in.

I will admit to thinking the same thing. I wish nurseries would leave
the purchaser to decide whether they want things hacking about. I
specifically ordered some apple trees some time ago to grow tall, and
they came mutilated in this manner.