Old 17-01-2010, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I have this plot

Down in the village, a mile and a half away. It's 1640 sq yards and I used
to keep milk goats on it until they passed away of old age.
My local council want me to lease it to them for allotments, but I'm not
keen as they want a 10 year minimum lease and I had plans for growing stuff
on it myself when I retire (which will be during that 10 year period.) I
just don't have time atm with working and having 1/4 acre here that is
getting away from me.
I had this brilliant idea. Or is it? There is such a demand for allotments
here that the council cannot fulfil, that I could mark it out in plots and
let it on a crop sharing basis. It has a water tap and is well fenced with
6 ft high gate with a key lock, not a padlock.
Thus getting veggies for myself with no effort!
Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has?
What does the team think?

Tina
P.S. Nothing chemical has been put on this land since I bought it 25+ years
ago, so it would be totally organic.

Old 17-01-2010, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 17, 9:57*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

Tina, you have so many possibilities. If it were me I would go along
the line of letting it with crop sharing, how exciting. However, if
you went along the Council route, you could ensure that you had a plot
marked out for your own use without charge. I'd love to hear how it
goes.

Judith
Old 17-01-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Jan, 21:57, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

Possibly room for 36 twenty foot by twenty foot plots. Not guaranteed
to stay totally organic if you let them out individually.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:57:25 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds great, but one caution if you let it out yourself. Insurance!
Get that sorted.
If you let the council let it, you might lose control of the land.
Consult a solicitor!

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-01-2010, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

------
Oh yes, it would be. It would be a condition of tenancy.

Old 18-01-2010, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

There would be a rent too. As my one lettuce/cauliflower/cabbage/leek a
week wouldn't seem enough.
I bought this land when my rented land I had my goats on was going to be
built on and it cost me half as much as my house at that time. It's time I
got something back from it. I had two mortgages. 10 years on the land and
25 years on the house. That was fun. Not.

Tina

Old 18-01-2010, 06:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

Tina,

Have a gander at
http://www.nsalg.org.uk/

Quite useful

Old 18-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell[_2_] View Post
Possibly room for 36 twenty foot by twenty foot plots. Not guaranteed
to stay totally organic if you let them out individually.
------
Oh yes, it would be. It would be a condition of tenancy.
Your difficulty would be in enforcing the condition.
Old 18-01-2010, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Christina Websell writes
I had this brilliant idea. Or is it?

There was a thread not so long ago from someone who wanted to let out a
large greenhouse as allotments. Although a lot of it is irrelevant, some
of the points made in that thread are relevant to your situation.

--
Kay
Old 18-01-2010, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

There is the 'landshare' initiative where people with land allow people who
do not have allotments to use the spare land for growing stuff.

This does not generate revenue but it does keep the land in production and
should allow you to set your own time limit on the use.

Any commercial arrangement is likely to cause you hassle - probably out of
proportion to the monetary (real money or 'goods to the value of'') return.

Even if you put an 'organic only' clause in an agreement, how are you going
to enforce it? How will you detect the use of chemicals? What penalties do
you think you can apply? Do you have the free time to pursue such issues?

If you have a definite date when you need the land back then tell the
council very firmly that this is what you want. They can then decide if the
demand for allotments justifies a shorter lease.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 18-01-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

'Christina Websell[_2_ Wrote:
;874969']Possibly room for 36 twenty foot by twenty foot plots. Not
guaranteed
to stay totally organic if you let them out individually.
------
Oh yes, it would be. It would be a condition of tenancy.

Your difficulty would be in enforcing the condition.

Not really. The plotholders who embraced the organic philosophy would grass
;-)
Given the difficulty of finding land to grow stuff organically around here,
it would not be in anyone's best interest to start spraying chemicals
around - they would lose their plot.

Old 18-01-2010, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Good idea

If you let the council let it, you might lose control of the land.
Consult a solicitor!

I have no intention of letting the council anywhere near it. As my
grandmother used to say "do you see any green in my eye?"

Pam in Bristol

Old 18-01-2010, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

I have no intention of letting the council anywhere near it. As my
grandmother used to say "do you see any green in my eye?"

And what's wrong with green eyes? When I had contact lens overwearing,
I discovered that (underneath the brown), my eyes are grass green.
It's not exceptional in someone of largely Celtic stock ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-01-2010, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-17 23:43:34 +0000, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
[...]

I suspect the council might refuse permission if they have their beady
eyes on it. ;-)

Ah, as it happens where I live is a small council, which is overseen by the
bigger county one - which I happen to work for, so they could not pull rank
on me ;-)
It would be unethical for them do so, anyway, and they would know this.

Is there nothing you can grow there yourself that
won't require constant attention and weeding etc. - mini-Christmas trees?!

Aw, no. I fancy the idea of letting others cultivate it and getting a crop
share.
I just don't have the time, I work 5/7 and the rest is taken up with what I
have here.

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 18-01-2010, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

I have no intention of letting the council anywhere near it. As my
grandmother used to say "do you see any green in my eye?"

And what's wrong with green eyes? When I had contact lens overwearing,
I discovered that (underneath the brown), my eyes are grass green.
It's not exceptional in someone of largely Celtic stock ....

I assume she meant green = naive.
She also used to say in similar cirumstances "I'm not so green as
cabbage-looking."