Old 24-01-2010, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning roses

There seems to be lots of different ideas on when to prune roses.

I usually prune my bush roses end of Feb with no problems.

When do you prune yours?
Old 24-01-2010, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Racquel Darrian" .(y)uk wrote in
message ...
There seems to be lots of different ideas on when to prune
roses.

I usually prune my bush roses end of Feb with no problems.

When do you prune yours?

When I remember :-)

Mike

Old 24-01-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Racquel Darrian" .(y)uk wrote in message
There seems to be lots of different ideas on when to prune roses.

I usually prune my bush roses end of Feb with no problems.

When do you prune yours?

I lightly prune back the taller shrubs and floribundas in Oct/Nov/Dec when
growth has all but stopped. In March, I cut everything back and reshape the
bush if need be.

Spider

Old 24-01-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:22:54 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

"Racquel Darrian" .(y)uk wrote in message
There seems to be lots of different ideas on when to prune roses.

I usually prune my bush roses end of Feb with no problems.

When do you prune yours?

I lightly prune back the taller shrubs and floribundas in Oct/Nov/Dec when
growth has all but stopped. In March, I cut everything back and reshape the
bush if need be.

Me 2. The plan is good

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 25-01-2010, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

®óñ© © ²°¹° writes
wrote:

"Racquel Darrian" .(y)uk wrote in message
There seems to be lots of different ideas on when to prune roses.

I usually prune my bush roses end of Feb with no problems.

When do you prune yours?

I lightly prune back the taller shrubs and floribundas in Oct/Nov/Dec when
growth has all but stopped. In March, I cut everything back and reshape the
bush if need be.

Me 2. The plan is good

My mother told me that there were two theories:

1) prune in autumn, because otherwise the winter winds rock the plant
and cause a hole to be formed around the base which collects water over
winter and causes rot

2) prune in spring because if you prune in autumn you get early new
growth which gets nipped off by late frosts.

So the two-stage plan looks to solve both problems

I usually prune mine sometime in spring when the urge takes me, but then
I inherited my bush roses and don't feel an overwhelming commitment to
their welfare (in other words, I've been hoping they'll die off and I
can plant something else, but 19 years later they are still going strong
;-) )

--
Kay

Old 26-01-2010, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

I usually prune mine sometime in spring when the urge takes me, but then I
inherited my bush roses and don't feel an overwhelming commitment to their
welfare (in other words, I've been hoping they'll die off and I can plant
something else, but 19 years later they are still going strong ;-) )

--
Kay

I am pleased to see that I am not the only nutter who feels that as long as
the plant is alive I have to leave it alone to live as long as it wants to
:-) I do nearly all my pruning and cutting down at this time of the year
because I cannot see little green bits that tell me the plant is alive, yes
I know get a life :-)

kate

Old 26-01-2010, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kate Morgan wrote:
I am pleased to see that I am not the only nutter who feels that as long as
the plant is alive I have to leave it alone to live as long as it wants to
:-) I do nearly all my pruning and cutting down at this time of the year
because I cannot see little green bits that tell me the plant is alive, yes

Not such a problem with roses, but when I prune the soft fruit bushes I feel
obliged to plant every single branch I cut off if it has any new buds on it
(which most of them do). I have about a billion blackcurrant plants
growing!

Old 26-01-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Kate Morgan wrote:
I am pleased to see that I am not the only nutter who feels that as long
as
the plant is alive I have to leave it alone to live as long as it wants
:-) I do nearly all my pruning and cutting down at this time of the year
because I cannot see little green bits that tell me the plant is alive,
yes

Not such a problem with roses, but when I prune the soft fruit bushes I
feel
obliged to plant every single branch I cut off if it has any new buds on
it
(which most of them do). I have about a billion blackcurrant plants
growing!

Have you informed Ribena? You might do a roaring trade there ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
(which most of them do). I have about a billion blackcurrant plants
growing!

Have you informed Ribena? You might do a roaring trade there ;-)

Actually, I think my first ever blackcurrant plant came from a cutting sent
by Ribena from a competition!