Old 30-01-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed planting

OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be getting
underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated, like to grow
veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.
--
Corporal Jones
Old 31-01-2010, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CorporalJones wrote:
OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be getting
underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated, like to grow
veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.

This month for chitting potatoes in the cold (but not freezing),
planting tomato, pepper, chilli seeds etc.

I expect there are plenty more. End of Feb I try to remember to plant
beans in pots.

Cucurbits you can leave for a while.

--
Rusty
Old 31-01-2010, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-31 00:23:32 +0000, Rusty Hinge
said:
CorporalJones wrote:
OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be getting
underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated, like to grow
veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.

This month for chitting potatoes in the cold (but not freezing),
planting tomato, pepper, chilli seeds etc.

I expect there are plenty more. End of Feb I try to remember to plant
beans in pots.

Cucurbits you can leave for a while.

Ray planted tomatoes a while ago and they're about 4" tall.
International Kidney are being chitted, too! ;-)

That's okay for you! I won't be planting ANYTHING for some weeks,
even if the weather warms up, because I can get stranded with
over-large plants inside and weather that will kill them outside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-01-2010, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In article , Sacha
On 2010-01-31 00:23:32 +0000, Rusty Hinge
said:
CorporalJones wrote:
OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be getting
underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated, like to grow
veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.
This month for chitting potatoes in the cold (but not freezing),
planting tomato, pepper, chilli seeds etc.
I expect there are plenty more. End of Feb I try to remember to
plant
beans in pots.
Cucurbits you can leave for a while.
Ray planted tomatoes a while ago and they're about 4" tall.
International Kidney are being chitted, too! ;-)

That's okay for you! I won't be planting ANYTHING for some weeks,
even if the weather warms up, because I can get stranded with
over-large plants inside and weather that will kill them outside.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We know we're cushy! The tomatoes are in the propagating house which
is the warm one and of course it's doing what it's made for with regard
to the toms! I wonder when Derek in Jersey will be sowing his Jersey
Sunrise! Once they're big enough, Ray puts compost bags all down the
side of that house and plants the toms in those. So far, he has 17
plants which will also produce toms for the tea room, we hope!

I really enjoyed seeing your nursery whilst we were on holiday and was
surprised that people could walk through the growing areas without
restriction. I am sure that encourages them to buy more but most garden
centres (which I know yours is not) tend to have some of their growing
places as no-go areas. I also enjoyed the fact that there you are
walking through all these interesting plants when suddenly you come
across a little churchyard, which is charming. (looking back, I was so
surprised, I wonder whether or not I dreamed it afterwards).

Strangely enough, the place we visit here is quite open too but that is
a garden centre with all sorts of kitchen stuff and things people don't
need to buy besides plants etc.
--
June Hughes
Old 31-01-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You should try planting some black tomatoes you'd be surprised at how
wonderful the taste is. Black Krim is a nice productive tomato plant
that most folks enjoy.

Old 31-01-2010, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes

In article , Sacha
On 2010-01-31 00:23:32 +0000, Rusty Hinge
said:
CorporalJones wrote:
[...]

The only place the public can't walk (though are sometimes taken up
there) is the poly tunnels at the top of the car park and Ray's prop.
house.

Ah yes. I saw them but didn't attempt to look because the entrance to
the nursery and tea room is right next to where we parked.

People wander around to find what they want because, while it's divided
into grouping it's not alphabetically organised, simply because it is a
nursery. Things are brought down when they're ready and put into
whatever space is available. They don't come in the backdoor on Monday
morning and go out through a till on Monday afternoon! No, you didn't
dream the church, it's through a gate at the side of our garden. This
house was once its vicarage and both were built in the 1850s.

Thank goodness for that. I was getting a little worried when I typed
the post that it may have just been my imagination playing tricks. It
is lovely, to say the least.

Strangely enough, the place we visit here is quite open too but that
is a garden centre with all sorts of kitchen stuff and things people
don't need to buy besides plants etc.

We've stayed clear of all that - we don't have the space without
putting up another building and we don't really want to get into it
all, either.

I am not surprised. I don't like being tempted by things I don't need.

That is also one of the good things about shopping for food at Waitrose
- they stock mainly food. No clothes and very little other tempting
stuff.
--
June Hughes
Old 31-01-2010, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-31 00:23:32 +0000, Rusty Hinge
said:

CorporalJones wrote:
OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be
getting underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated,
like to grow veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.

This month for chitting potatoes in the cold (but not freezing),
planting tomato, pepper, chilli seeds etc.

I expect there are plenty more. End of Feb I try to remember to plant
beans in pots.

Cucurbits you can leave for a while.

Ray planted tomatoes a while ago and they're about 4" tall.
International Kidney are being chitted, too! ;-)

Yebbut - you're much nearer the equator innit

--
Rusty
Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

Positively subtropical we thought at lunch, as we watched the snow
swirling down - but not settling! In fact, one of the gardens in
Cornwall - forget which but one of the Tre ones - has said that after
the last 3 winters it can no longer consider itself sub-tropical!

Good! Something that always annoyed me is the references to those
gardens as subtropical, usually by idiots who have never spent any
time in the tropics, and then usually only on an (atypical) island.
They never were subtropical, not even remotely.

Inter alia, one of the key differences between even the subtropics
and here is that plants don't go largely dormant in the winter in
the former. They may do in a dry season, but the UK doesn't have
those.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

CorporalJones wrote:
OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be getting
underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated, like to grow
veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.

I did my first set of tomatoes 3 weeks ago (they are germinating
very slowly! - friend who did his the week after has more through
already than I have), keep meaning to put the broad beans out but
it's too chilly to encourage me out of doors!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/01/2010 00:23, Rusty Hinge wrote:
CorporalJones wrote:
OK it is nearly February, are there any seeds that I should be getting
underway now, thinking of the greenhouse which is heated, like to grow
veg, toms, cucumbers, peppers etc.

This month for chitting potatoes in the cold (but not freezing),
planting tomato, pepper, chilli seeds etc.

Note to myself - plant pepper seeds before tomatoes this year. They grow
much more slowly so tend to get overshadowed when planted together in
greenhouse border.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Paul Luton wrote:
Note to myself - plant pepper seeds before tomatoes this year. They grow
much more slowly so tend to get overshadowed when planted together in
greenhouse border.

My tomatoes were fighting with the melons for light last year!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Inter alia, one of the key differences between even the subtropics
and here is that plants don't go largely dormant in the winter in
the former. They may do in a dry season, but the UK doesn't have
those.

My banananana hasn't gone dormant, and even my front room isn't sub
tropical. True, not sub-zero either...

Forget temperature - think sunlight. I said "largely dormant". In
much of the UK, grass grows throughout the winter, just very, very
slowly. Even in the south, we get only 10% of the sunlight in
winter that we do in summer; in the north, it's 5%.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Planting apple trees from seed Big Duke Gardening 5 27-09-2005 06:21 AM
Planting grass seed JC Gardening 4 01-04-2005 01:29 PM
No dig gardening and seed planting Dover3211 Australia 0 01-10-2003 06:32 AM
No dig gardening and seed planting Gen Australia 2 28-09-2003 04:33 AM
Help w/seed planting climate zones robohop Gardening 2 03-04-2003 12:08 PM