Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Just bought a book

From my local charity shop.
The Royal Horticultural Society book Propagating Plants. A big book that
looks brand new. Maybe an unwanted present.
It cost me 60p.
The only fault it has is that the text is so small it's almost unreadable
for me as I have sight problems but I'll find a way round that somehow.

Tina

Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
From my local charity shop.
The Royal Horticultural Society book Propagating Plants. A big book that
looks brand new. Maybe an unwanted present.
It cost me 60p.
The only fault it has is that the text is so small it's almost unreadable
for me as I have sight problems but I'll find a way round that somehow.

Tina

Are you able to buy a page magnifier, Tina ?? I havent got one myself,
but Ive been told theyre good as they rest on the page. I have a large
magifying glass with handle - quite good but have to hold the handle, (so
it helps to have three hands. lol.)

Margaret

Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Feb, 20:18, "The Brownie" me@privacy net. wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

From my local charity shop.
The Royal Horticultural Society book *Propagating Plants. *A big book that
looks brand new. *Maybe an unwanted present.
It cost me 60p.
The only fault it has is that the text is so small it's almost unreadable
for me as I have sight problems but I'll find a way round that somehow.

Tina

* Are you able to buy a page magnifier, Tina ?? * I havent got one myself,
but Ive been told theyre good as they rest on the page. *I have a large
magifying glass with handle - quite good but have to hold the handle, (so
it helps to have three hands. lol.)

* * *Margaret

As someone who used to work with People with sight problems I wouldn't
waste money on a page magnifier they dont do a lot,
If you ask your local Social Services dept if there is a low vision
clinic or ask your opticial about low vision aids, you may be able to
get some free or cut price, also you could contact
The Partialy sighted society http://www.partsight.org.uk/
or www.RNIB.org.uk
Both of these can help with low vision aids and advice.
David Hill
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes
From my local charity shop.
The Royal Horticultural Society book Propagating Plants. A big book that
looks brand new. Maybe an unwanted present.
It cost me 60p.
The only fault it has is that the text is so small it's almost unreadable
for me as I have sight problems but I'll find a way round that somehow.

A magnifying glass and a strong reading light will help.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 6 Feb, 20:18, "The Brownie" me@privacy net. wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

From my local charity shop.
[...]

I hadn't thought of that. I have great respect for the RNIB, especially
for their hearing books.
--
June Hughes

Old 07-02-2010, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message
, Dave
Hill writes
On 6 Feb, 20:18, "The Brownie" me@privacy net. wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

From my local charity shop.
[...]

I have a friend who is sadly developing AMD, she just uses a good quality
big magnifying glass.

John

Old 07-02-2010, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
From my local charity shop.

Good for you, I've been buying books from these shops for ages, although I
do avoid those who charge a lot for them.

The Royal Horticultural Society book Propagating Plants. A big book that
looks brand new. Maybe an unwanted present.
It cost me 60p.
The only fault it has is that the text is so small it's almost unreadable
for me as I have sight problems but I'll find a way round that somehow.

A magnifying glass, or scan it and print it with larger letters.

Alan

Tina

Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message .
As someone who used to work with People with sight problems I wouldn't
waste money on a page magnifier they dont do a lot,
If you ask your local Social Services dept

That would be who I work for then ;-

if there is a low vision

clinic or ask your opticial about low vision aids, you may be able to
get some free or cut price,

I've been assessed at the low vision clinic, could have 3 free things and I
chose things that would help me at work, which obviously, I keep there.
I could really do with something to help me read small print at home now.

I have this wonderful machine at work, it's called a MyReader, bit like a
television, I can scan stuff under it and have all sorts of different
background colours and text size
Best of all if I put a book under it, or any sort of text (not handwriting)
it will scan it line by line at reading pace and I can magnify it as much as
I like. It cost my employers more than 3 thousand quid but unfortunately I
cannot take it home until I retire ;-(
It's a wonderful thing, have you heard of it?

I've had a macular hole, had 8 surgeries now, but in the process of saving
my central vision I've lost visual acuity and cannot see in the dark either.

also you could contact

The Partialy sighted society http://www.partsight.org.uk/
or www.RNIB.org.uk
Both of these can help with low vision aids and advice.

I've looked at the PSS website, it will be useful, thank you, Dave.

Tina

Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:40:10 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

From my local charity shop.
The Royal Horticultural Society book Propagating Plants. A big book that
looks brand new. Maybe an unwanted present.
It cost me 60p.
The only fault it has is that the text is so small it's almost unreadable
for me as I have sight problems but I'll find a way round that somehow.

One way would be to buy a copy of the hardback book about £6 +P&P from
www.abebooks.com

I've seen it for less than £6 in remainder bookshops

It *is* the hardback book, Martin. It has ridiculously tiny text, maybe
that's why it didn't sell so well as to be remaindered.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of that. I have great respect for the RNIB, especially
for their hearing books.

Talking books..hearing dogs.
But IKMYM

Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of that. I have great respect for the RNIB, especially
for their hearing books.

Talking books..hearing dogs.
But IKMYM

Doh! Yes )
--
June Hughes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 8 Feb, 09:46, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 00:24:42 -0000, "Christina Websell"

wrote:

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of that. *I have great respect for the RNIB, especially
for their hearing books.

Talking books..hearing dogs.
But IKMYM

Have you tried an e-book reader? You can adjust the size of the characters.
--

Martin

There are a range of Electronic aids you could look at,
I am thinking of a small hand scanner (Rather like your computer
mouse) which link to a TV set and give you a much magnified text
(Electronic magnifing glass).
See this article
http://www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsig...0magnifier.doc

From the RNIB catalogue they offer the following
http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/browse...c=290&it=1&l=3
you could talk it over with them on the phone number at the end of the
item.
David Hill
Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of that. I have great respect for the RNIB, especially
for their hearing books.

Talking books..hearing dogs.
But IKMYM

Have you tried an e-book reader? You can adjust the size of the characters.

A friend of ours has wet macular degeneration and has tried an e-book
reader. Sadly, he still couldn't read it.
--
June Hughes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:00:09 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of that. I have great respect for the RNIB, especially
for their hearing books.

Talking books..hearing dogs.
But IKMYM

Have you tried an e-book reader? You can adjust the size of the characters.

A friend of ours has wet macular degeneration and has tried an e-book
reader. Sadly, he still couldn't read it.

In my experience e-book readers like Kindle are only suitable for
people with slightly failing vision. I also have wet MD and an e-book
is no use to me.
If you have a low vision clinic you can visit, they will be able to
assess what aids would be best for your sight.

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:00:09 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I hadn't thought of that. I have great respect for the RNIB, especially
for their hearing books.

Talking books..hearing dogs.
But IKMYM

Have you tried an e-book reader? You can adjust the size of the characters.

A friend of ours has wet macular degeneration and has tried an e-book
reader. Sadly, he still couldn't read it.

In my experience e-book readers like Kindle are only suitable for
people with slightly failing vision. I also have wet MD and an e-book
is no use to me.
If you have a low vision clinic you can visit, they will be able to
assess what aids would be best for your sight.

I believe he has done that already, as he has had MD for several years
now (he's in his late 70's). He has a job to read even with the aid of
a strong magnifying glass.
--
June Hughes