Old 18-02-2010, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kent nurseries and gardens

Our Gardening Club is going to Squerrys Court in Westerham in September.
The members want to visit another place on the same day (they usually do
two visits per coach trip) Can anyone suggest a good plant nursery or
garden to visit near Westerham or even on the way back to Amersham? They
did Donwnderry nursery in 2008 so probably wouldn't go there.
I know Chartwell is very close but we thought that might be too 'big'
(IYSWIM) Looking at the 2010 NGS book but can't see anything there for
that time of year for groups.

I'd like to have added on Perryhills as it's a fabulous nursery but only
has VERY limited toilet facilities and with 50 people or more that could
be a problem

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-02-2010, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Our Gardening Club is going to Squerrys Court in Westerham in September.
The members want to visit another place on the same day (they usually do
two visits per coach trip) Can anyone suggest a good plant nursery or
garden to visit near Westerham or even on the way back to Amersham? They
did Donwnderry nursery in 2008 so probably wouldn't go there.
I know Chartwell is very close but we thought that might be too 'big'
(IYSWIM) Looking at the 2010 NGS book but can't see anything there for
that time of year for groups.

I'd like to have added on Perryhills as it's a fabulous nursery but only
has VERY limited toilet facilities and with 50 people or more that could
be a problem

Chartwell is not that big, from memory, but may be very busy being NT and
very popular with tourists.

Titsey Place is good, nice house, garden and walled garden, not NT so you
could arrange a private group visit outside normal opening times and they
would probably do you all a Cream Tea too in their new cafe.
http://www.titsey.org/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-02-2010, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Janet Tweedy" wrote
[...]

Just remembered, Hever Castle is also not that far away, beautiful grounds.
http://www.hevercastle.co.uk/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-02-2010, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Titsey Place is good, nice house, garden and walled garden, not NT so
you could arrange a private group visit outside normal opening times
and they would probably do you all a Cream Tea too in their new cafe.
http://www.titsey.org/

Just remembered, Hever Castle is also not that far away, beautiful grounds.
http://www.hevercastle.co.uk/

Thanks Bob both suggestions sound as if they are worth looking at.
Old 20-02-2010, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
I have a terrible memory and asked this question before, I know.
Where's that house that an Australian woman spent a lot of her own time
and money on, restoring the garden? She rents it from the National
Trust (IIRC) and spends 6 months here and 6 months in Oz, I think. Was
that over that way?

That is West Green Gardens...

http://www.westgreenhousegardens.co.....php?page=home or

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...eenhousegarden

Not to be confused with West Dean Gardens!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-02-2010, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I have a terrible memory and asked this question before, I know.
Where's that house that an Australian woman spent a lot of her own time
and money on, restoring the garden? She rents it from the National
Trust (IIRC) and spends 6 months here and 6 months in Oz, I think. Was
that over that way?

They went there in 2008 but thanks Sacha!
Old 16-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered User

Blickling Hall in Norfolk, has amazing gardens. Even better, I found a gardening site that is giving away a year-long National Trust membership, Easy Guide to Organic Gardening dot-com. Not sure if Blickling has an additional fee, but I know it is free to members. Worth a visit!

Lisa

Thanks Bob both suggestions sound as if they are worth looking at.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Dalmatian Telegraph - UK[/quote]