Old 25-03-2010, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cow manure leeds area

Good afternoon ,does anyone know of a dairy farm in the leeds area who
would let us collect some cow manure,i want to try a method of using i
heard about where you fill a hessian sack and dump it in a barrel for
a week and use the liquid as a tomato feed,dairy farms around leeds
seem to be fewer and fewer these days,tia
Old 25-03-2010, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:33:01 -0700 (PDT), bob
gently dipped his quill in the best Quink
that money could buy:

Good afternoon ,does anyone know of a dairy farm in the leeds area who
would let us collect some cow manure,i want to try a method of using i
heard about where you fill a hessian sack and dump it in a barrel for
a week and use the liquid as a tomato feed,dairy farms around leeds
seem to be fewer and fewer these days,tia

The modern dairy farms produce very little quality manure but could
fill the London Underground with slurry !
Look for a farm that housed beef cattle over the winter, indoors.
Ask local butcher ?
To be honest, there is a plethora of "feeds" for tomatoes which would
be better.

Mike P the 1st
Old 25-03-2010, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bob" wrote in message
Good afternoon ,does anyone know of a dairy farm in the leeds area who
would let us collect some cow manure,i want to try a method of using i
heard about where you fill a hessian sack and dump it in a barrel for
a week and use the liquid as a tomato feed,dairy farms around leeds
seem to be fewer and fewer these days,tia

Drive out into the countryside until you see some cows or sheep in a field
(sheep muck works just as well) park your car, nip over the fence and
collect it from the ground.
I well remember as a child our Sunday afternoon trip out in the car with my
grandfather to collect sheep droppings for exactly this purpose. You do
have to dilute the resulting *tea* though, and it's better started when the
weather is a bit warmer. Oh and it takes more than a week of dunking to get
it brewing to the correct stinkiness.
TBH, I've never known it done with cow pats but hey, why not try?

Tina

Old 26-03-2010, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bob" wrote in message
Good afternoon ,does anyone know of a dairy farm in the leeds area who
would let us collect some cow manure,i want to try a method of using i
heard about where you fill a hessian sack and dump it in a barrel for
a week and use the liquid as a tomato feed,dairy farms around leeds
seem to be fewer and fewer these days,tia

Animal manures can give your plants big problems if the animals have been
grazing where weedkiller has been applied.

You'd be better off growing your own comfrey, cutting the leaves and putting
them in a bucket of water. When the slurry gets really stinky it's ready to
dilute and use.

someone

Old 26-03-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

"bob" wrote in message
Good afternoon ,does anyone know of a dairy farm in the leeds area who
would let us collect some cow manure,i want to try a method of using i
heard about where you fill a hessian sack and dump it in a barrel for
a week and use the liquid as a tomato feed,dairy farms around leeds
seem to be fewer and fewer these days,tia

Animal manures can give your plants big problems if the animals have been
grazing where weedkiller has been applied.

You'd be better off growing your own comfrey, cutting the leaves and
putting them in a bucket of water. When the slurry gets really stinky
it's ready to dilute and use.

If you are wary of animal manure to make this delicious brew, you can also
use nettles if you haven't any comfrey.
But..you do have to wait until it stinks the place out whatever you use..

Tina

Old 26-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal View Post
... or walk on to some common land and collect sheep manure

Bigal
Is that allowed?
Old 27-03-2010, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stu Suds" wrote in message

Bigal;881413 Wrote:
... or walk on to some common land and collect sheep manure

Bigal

Is that allowed?

Yes, of course it is. Who will stop you? The sheep manure police?? g
If there were any sheep manure police my grandfather would have been in
prison.
Tina

Old 27-03-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:29:06 -0000, "Christina Websell"

"Stu Suds" wrote in message

Bigal;881413 Wrote:
... or walk on to some common land and collect sheep manure

Bigal

Is that allowed?

Yes, of course it is. Who will stop you? The sheep manure police?? g
If there were any sheep manure police my grandfather would have been in
prison.
Tina

Just another two penny worth.
In my past dealings with sheep, it was obvious that they were put on
this earth to die at every opportunity. If they did not get eaten by
maggots at their rear ends, get a massive dose of mastitis, suffer
foot rot or lung worm, they would endevour to roll onto their backs to
die slowly. It was a continuous routine of worming elixirs and
antibotics. No chance of organic poo these days :-)

Mike P the 1st
Old 27-03-2010, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-27 17:29:06 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Stu Suds" wrote in message

Bigal;881413 Wrote:
... or walk on to some common land and collect sheep manure

Bigal

Is that allowed?

Yes, of course it is. Who will stop you? The sheep manure police?? g
If there were any sheep manure police my grandfather would have been in
prison.
Tina

But he lived in more sensible times. I am telling you the sober truth
when I say that a Devon woman got into some kind of trouble for allowing
her dog to take home a stick it had picked up in some privately owned
woodland. Honestly.

This is stupid.
However if you go out into the countryside to pick up sheep muck or a cow
pat to make liquid manure it's unlikely you''ll get arrested. -
Unless.. there are manure police watching for this very thing, if so you are
in real trouble.

Old 27-03-2010, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 27 Mar, 20:11, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

On 2010-03-27 17:29:06 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Stu Suds" wrote in message

Bigal;881413 Wrote:
... or walk on to some common land and collect sheep manure

Bigal

Is that allowed?

Yes, of course it is. *Who will stop you? *The sheep manure police?? g
If there were any sheep manure police my grandfather would have been in
prison.
Tina

But he lived in more sensible times. *I am telling you the sober truth
when I say that a Devon woman got into some kind of trouble for allowing
her dog to take home a stick it had picked up in some privately owned
woodland. *Honestly.

This is stupid.
* However if you go out into the countryside to pick up sheep muck or a cow
pat to make liquid manure it's unlikely you''ll get arrested. -
Unless.. there are manure police watching for this very thing, if so you are
in real trouble.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like a job for the Constabulary Rural Animal Patrol squad
better known as the CRAP squad
David
Old 28-03-2010, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-27 20:11:57 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2010-03-27 17:29:06 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Stu Suds" wrote in message

Bigal;881413 Wrote:
[...]

What the above example is saying - and I agree it's stupid - is that you
can take nothing from private land without the owner's permission. How
does the would-be dung gatherer know the land owner doesn't want to keep
that dung for his own composting/fertilising use?
--

They don't, but unless the farmer is able to count every little sheep pellet
or cow pat passed by a flock of 200 sheep/60 cows or so on a daily basis,

Old 28-03-2010, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"someone" wrote in message

"bob" wrote in message

If you are wary of animal manure to make this delicious brew, you can
also use nettles if you haven't any comfrey.
But..you do have to wait until it stinks the place out whatever you
use..
Tina

Yep, I make comfrey and nettle fertilizer. Just make sure it's diluted
--

Pete C
London. UK.

Old 29-03-2010, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(pruned where others should have before me)

I don't know of a public park or public access estate, which permits
dogs to be off the lead; quite reasonably now such bodies are forced to
insured for public safety liability, (or fulfill the conditions to
receive public funding for wildlife conservation). Almost daily, I see
doting irresponsible dog owners ignoring the notices and permitting
exactly the kind of dog behaviour which made such restrictions necessary
:-(.

Janet

I don't really think a dog carrying a stick back to its owners car is an
out of control dog. It was widely ridiculed as a bit of a Jobsworth
action. It could well be that the warden thought it a good chance to make
an example of someone but if he needed that, someone allowing their dog to
foul without poop-scooping would have been much more to the point. A dog
taking a stick home was a pretty silly thing to get upset about, whatever
example needed to be set.

--
Sacha

No such thing as an untrained dog on a lead. It is the person at the other
end who is untrained.

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 29-03-2010, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Would you know if someone came into your garden and picked 12 of your
daffodils? And if you didn't, would it matter or would it be an
invasion of your private land?

I'd be impressed if anyone could find 12 daffodils on my land! :-(
I think we're up to 6 so far ...
Loads and loads of bluebell greenery, though

"cow manure & compost" really a mulch? OhioGuy Gardening 8 27-03-2009 02:54 PM
Landscape Gardening - Leeds Area [email protected] United Kingdom 1 01-09-2005 09:29 AM
dry cow manure Lee Gardening 4 28-09-2004 07:08 AM
Want to buy Mulch and bulk cow manure in Melbourne - advice please DeeJ Australia 0 25-10-2003 03:02 AM
Cow manure fertiliser Franz Heymann United Kingdom 43 07-10-2003 09:48 PM