Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rocket seeds again!

I dont have a germination problem, but I planted some in pots along wth
lettuce seeds.

Nothing is mentioned about transplaning the thinings from direct
sowings, so I am wondering if I can trasplant the pot sown seedlings?

No hardship if not, but I'd like to know whether to plant some direct or
transplant.

Thanks

Roger T
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
RogerT wrote:
I dont have a germination problem, but I planted some in pots along wth
lettuce seeds.

Nothing is mentioned about transplaning the thinings from direct
sowings, so I am wondering if I can trasplant the pot sown seedlings?

No hardship if not, but I'd like to know whether to plant some direct or
transplant.

They're cruciferae, similar to brassica, so almost certainly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Apr, 22:35, RogerT wrote:
I dont have a germination problem, but I planted some in pots along wth
lettuce seeds.

Nothing is mentioned about transplaning the thinings from direct
sowings, so I am wondering if I can trasplant the pot sown seedlings?

No hardship if not, but I'd like to know whether to plant some direct or
transplant.

Thanks

Roger T

Yes, I have done it myself occasionally. They will wilt so water well
and keep moist until they recover.
Old 18-04-2010, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
wrote:
In article ,
RogerT wrote:
I dont have a germination problem, but I planted some in pots along wth
lettuce seeds.

Nothing is mentioned about transplaning the thinings from direct
sowings, so I am wondering if I can trasplant the pot sown seedlings?

No hardship if not, but I'd like to know whether to plant some direct or
transplant.

They're cruciferae, similar to brassica, so almost certainly.

Glad you said 'almost' - you shouldn't transplant cauliflowers or
you'll only get tiny curds.

But rocket, I've never heard anything against transplanting that.

Re-talking of rocket - I wonder how Tina's seeds are (or are not)
progressing.......
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 18-04-2010, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Glad you said 'almost' - you shouldn't transplant cauliflowers or you'll
only get tiny curds.

That may explain a lot. Are you meant to plant seeds in their final growing
spot, then? That sounds ... tricky. I have a tray of caulis waiting to go
out from the greenhouse as soon as I get the chance, but they decided to
coat themselves in greenfly. :-(
Old 19-04-2010, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
A) Yes, that is the preferred method.

I have real trouble getting /anything/ to germinate in our allotment soil!
They just dry up too quickly.

B) you can plant them into pots and when large enough, knock them out
and plant the lot, rooted compost...

Ok. We've mostly been using root trainers, which are good for looooong
roots, but this time the caulis are in a plain flat seed tray. I'll put
them out one day then keep an eye on them and let you know how they go.

I guess individually in paper pots might work, then plant the whole thing.
I tried that with beans last year, but I suffer from my pots going mouldy
before the plants go out, which is ... slimey.

Digging them out of a tray 'checks' them, and that's it. Very pleasant
gobbets of cauli result innit.

Just have to remember to pick them when they're still small and not wait for
them to giant up!

I could be tempted to use (Shhhh! EC spies might be listening!) the
juice from boiled rhubarb leaves to spray the aphids with.

A-ha, I was discussing this with someone yesterday! We both had vague ideas
that there was /something/ I could do with the rhubarb leaves (other than
remembering not to feed it to the chickens!!)!
Old 19-04-2010, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

[...]

I could be tempted to use (Shhhh! EC spies might be listening!) the
juice from boiled rhubarb leaves to spray the aphids with.

A-ha, I was discussing this with someone yesterday! We both had
vague ideas that there was /something/ I could do with the rhubarb
leaves (other than remembering not to feed it to the chickens!!)!

While we're on the subject, note that EC regs now make it a criminal
offence to water garden plants if one's tap water tests between pH 3.57
and pH 7.92; the potential penalty is a fine of up to 7,000 euro or up
to eighteen months' imprisonment. House plants are exempt pending a
decision of the European Court of Human Rights. The collection of
rainwater is to be banned altogether from 1 July 2010.

You're 18 days late.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-04-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
While we're on the subject, note that EC regs now make it a criminal
offence to water garden plants if one's tap water tests between pH 3.57
and pH 7.92; the potential penalty is a fine of up to 7,000 euro or up
to eighteen months' imprisonment. House plants are exempt pending a
decision of the European Court of Human Rights. The collection of
rainwater is to be banned altogether from 1 July 2010.

.... I beg your pardon?
Old 19-04-2010, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message

Re-talking of rocket - I wonder how Tina's seeds are (or are not)
progressing.......
--

Nah, failure. I still have some seeds left and will wait until it's warmer
to sow them again.