Old 16-04-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HomeBase and potatoes

Just remembered that HomeBase were selling plant pots with potato plants in.
They looked like about 10" pots.

So - some questions that have occured to me since.

Can you grow potatoes on in pots and transplant outside later?

Is this a way of starting potatoes off to transplant into tubs without all
the problems of gettting them started at the bottom of the tubs in poor
light before gradually earthing up, or having a tub which is built up slowly
as the potato plant grows?

Or can you get enough potatoes in a 10" pot to make this worthwhile?

Cheers

Dave R

Old 16-04-2010, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I am wondering if they were Aubergine plants.
David Hill
Old 16-04-2010, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I am wondering if they were Aubergine plants.
David Hill

If so they had a very funny way of spelling 'Aubergine'.

Also, Aubergine plants look much like peppers IIRC and not at all like
potatoes.
These looked like potatoes and were labelled as potatoes.

Hence the question :-)

Old 16-04-2010, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
If so they had a very funny way of spelling 'Aubergine'.

Dyslexia is a common alement.

I've transplanted potatoes from where they were growing incorrectly to
somewhere I didn't mind them before now, but they've never cropped
exceptionally well in their new spot. That's not to say they wouldn't if
I'd done it earlier or more carefully. But it's not something I'd be
choosing to do given an alternative.
Old 16-04-2010, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I am wondering if they were Aubergine plants.
David Hill

If so they had a very funny way of spelling 'Aubergine'.

Also, Aubergine plants look much like peppers IIRC and not at all like
potatoes.
These looked like potatoes and were labelled as potatoes.

Hence the question :-)

I do wonder what sort of capsicum you have.
How you can liken capsicum http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...2/capsicum.jpg
to Aubergine
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../aubergine.jpg
is beyond me.
But enough of that.
Regarding transplanting potatoes, it can be done early especially if
the potato is pot grown,
You can also grow them from slips taken from the shootswhen they are a
couple of inches long and potted, then planted out when established
David Hill

Old 18-04-2010, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Just remembered that HomeBase were selling plant pots with potato plants
in.
They looked like about 10" pots.

So - some questions that have occured to me since.

Can you grow potatoes on in pots and transplant outside later?

Is this a way of starting potatoes off to transplant into tubs without all
the problems of gettting them started at the bottom of the tubs in poor
light before gradually earthing up, or having a tub which is built up
slowly as the potato plant grows?

Or can you get enough potatoes in a 10" pot to make this worthwhile?

Cheers

Dave R

Also seen in my local branch. The pots I saw them in I thought were far too
small for a potato plant unless the plant was of a micro-dwarfed variety ;-)