Old 25-04-2010, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cherry tree survey

I don't know if you guys have done (or know about) this yet, but the
National History Museum is holding a UK cherry tree survey:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/b...vey/index.html

It'd be great if we could all enter the trees we know about.

Steve

--
Important Info:

Beware of the USENET poster called Mike Reid - he's
a troll and will do everything in his power to ruin your
group if you allow him to.
Old 26-04-2010, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:48:04 +0100, Steve wrote:

I don't know if you guys have done (or know about) this yet, but the
National History Museum is holding a UK cherry tree survey:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/b...vey/index.html

It'd be great if we could all enter the trees we know about.

Steve

Well thanks for the replies, you ignorant *******s. You know, maybe it
is best that USENET is in its death throes and absolutely no wonder
why.

Old 26-04-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/b...ory/tree-surve...

It'd be great if we could all enter the trees we know about.

Steve

Well thanks for the replies, you ignorant *******s. You know, maybe it
is best that USENET is in its death throes and absolutely no wonder
why.

--
Important Info:

Beware of the USENET poster called Mike Reid - he's
a troll and will do everything in his power to ruin your
group if you allow him to.

Well, maybe because you included a link with your post, everyone did
the same as me which was to click on the link and enter the
information as requested.

There was nothing to indicate that a message on uk.rec.gardening was
necessary.

Therefore, your insulting reply in less than 24 hours from your
original post was completely unwarranted.
Old 26-04-2010, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:48:04 +0100, Steve wrote:

I don't know if you guys have done (or know about) this yet, but the
National History Museum is holding a UK cherry tree survey:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/b...vey/index.html

It'd be great if we could all enter the trees we know about.

Steve

Well thanks for the replies, you ignorant *******s. You know, maybe it
is best that USENET is in its death throes and absolutely no wonder
why.

Having only just logged on and not seen your original post (some of us do
other things over the weekend), I thought I'd have a look at the NHM page to
see what you are all het up about.

Can't say I'm impressed. for those who haven't seen the page, "the aim of
the survey is to locate, identify and count trees in streets, parks and
gardens across the UK. We are asking the general public to take part for two
important reasons:

- a project of this size needs many people to contribute for the data to be
useful
- only you can give us information about the trees in your gardens and
neighbourhoods"

Having then had a look at the "What we know and what we want to find out"
section, my reaction is "So what?". Seems to me that someone has got a
grant to do a study which is pretty pointless (although the words
"biodiversity" and "climate" appear, so it must be important...).

If you looked at urban street trees 50 or so years ago you'd probably be
looking at London plane, as little else would put up with the pollution from
all those coal fires. Now many other types of tree - including cherry -
grow happily. So what? Does it matter what cherry trees grow in urban
areas? Why cherry? Might be more interesting to find out what palms are
growing and surviving.

If you are really interested in urban cherries, visit Japan.

--

Jeff

Old 26-04-2010, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:23:35 -0700 (PDT), sutartsorric
wrote:

On 26 Apr, 16:57, Steve wrote:
[...]

And the prat expected a welter of replies within the space of 25½
hours so that he could get his name on some stupid irrelevant paper.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 26-04-2010, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Steve wrote:
I don't know if you guys have done (or know about) this yet, but the
National History Museum is holding a UK cherry tree survey:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/b...vey/index.html

It'd be great if we could all enter the trees we know about.

Steve

Well thanks for the replies, you ignorant *******s. You know, maybe it
is best that USENET is in its death throes and absolutely no wonder
why.

Charming. Kind of glad I forgot to go out and check out the tree in the
garden after all.

I wonder if the Natural History Museum are aware that someone is giving such
a lovely impression of their organisation.

Old 27-04-2010, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/b...ry/tree-survey
/index.html

It'd be great if we could all enter the trees we know about.

Steve

Well thanks for the replies, you ignorant *******s. You know, maybe it
is best that USENET is in its death throes and absolutely no wonder
why.

Charming. Kind of glad I forgot to go out and check out the tree in the
garden after all.

I wonder if the Natural History Museum are aware that someone is giving such
a lovely impression of their organisation.

I assumed, even before his outburst, that he had nothing to do with the
NHM.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-04-2010, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
sutartsorric writes
On 26 Apr, 16:57, Steve wrote:
[...]

And people don't necessarily have the information on local cherries to
hand - I noticed 3 Prunus padus in an amenity planting at 8pm last
night, but I don't know what the other local cherries are, or for that
matter which of the local Prunus are cherries under their definition
(section Cerasus?), or, except in a few cases, where they are.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:08:42 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message ,
writes
Steve wrote:
I don't know if you guys have done (or know about) this yet, but the
National History Museum is holding a UK cherry tree survey:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/b...ry/tree-survey
/index.html

It'd be great if we could all enter the trees we know about.

Steve

Well thanks for the replies, you ignorant *******s. You know, maybe it
is best that USENET is in its death throes and absolutely no wonder
why.

Charming. Kind of glad I forgot to go out and check out the tree in the
garden after all.

I wonder if the Natural History Museum are aware that someone is giving such
a lovely impression of their organisation.

I assumed, even before his outburst, that he had nothing to do with the
NHM.

And now you can assume that the charm school tuition fees were totally
wasted.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 27-04-2010, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:56:47 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

I assumed, even before his outburst, that he had nothing to do with the
NHM.

From another group, "Steve" of the multiple addresses is a well known
troll; apparently the
deranged and masochistic kind who likes being verbally abused so tries
to provoke it.

Janet

And you can **** off too.

Koi Food Survey zookeeper Ponds 34 17-07-2003 01:31 AM
Free Survey? 1962 haircut Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
lighting survey: 36" bulbs rm-rf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
Free Survey? 1962 haircut Lawns 1 17-03-2003 07:32 PM
Birdwatch survey this weekend HaaRoy United Kingdom 9 23-01-2003 01:51 PM