Old 29-04-2010, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I was horribly annoyed

wrote:

I side with Tina. If dandelions weren't as promiscuous as a 1960s
pop star, I would say the same about them.

Do introduce me...

--
Rusty
Old 29-04-2010, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-27 18:14:36 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:24:57 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
when some chap knocked on my door yesterday to offer to clean up my
block
paving to get rid of the violets. Which I might say look
spectacular atm,
they are growing in the crevices and look absolutely beautiful.
Some people have no soul.
Tina

Wasn't me, but it might have been.

Violets are a damn nuisance - they get everywhere and have very tough
roots.
If they only kept to wild wooded areas, I wouldn't mind.

Violets are beautiful and can grow anywhere they like in my garden.
Some from my front garden spread into next door's lawn. She had her
lawn removed and paving put down, not becauseof the violets. They
have now established themselves in the communal bit of lawn cut by the
council and are much admired.
Does anyone know if we can get the real scented ones I remember from
my youth (1940s/50s?

Pam in Bristol

Might those be the Parma violets, Pam? Some places still have them and
they're wonderfully scented but not hardy in most cases, I believe. We
get white violets growing in parts of the garden here and also in a
lawn. And in one of the flower beds we had yellow violets but those
seem to have disappeared.

Yellow violets?

Or heartsease?

--
Rusty
Old 29-04-2010, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

/Viola odorata/, "Sweet violet": should be in any seed catalogue, and
GCs and nurseries must offer plants. There's a yellow form as well as
the usual. Rusty probably has several recipes, as both flowers and
leaves are edible. I'm not sure why so few of us grow them: I'd expect
them to do well under the currant bushes etc. Do the flowers perhaps get
damaged by the weather?

No recipe, sorry.

I do have sweet violets (violet, pale blue and white) as well as the
unscented dog violet here.

--
Rusty
Old 29-04-2010, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:

I side with Tina. If dandelions weren't as promiscuous as a 1960s
pop star, I would say the same about them.

Do introduce me...

They're so common that they don't do introductions. Try this:

Rusty: Hello, Dandelion, I'm Rusty.
Dandelion: How about a bit of practice, then?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2010, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Apr, 20:38, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
when some chap knocked on my door yesterday to offer to clean up my block
paving to get rid of the violets. *Which I might say look spectacular atm,
they are growing in the crevices and look absolutely beautiful.
Some people have no soul.
Tina

I too suffer from occasional infestations of people who want to weed
my garden. They tend to come in pairs. After eradicating the first one
with some difficulty, his mate calls 5 minutes later and yells through
the letterbox if you don't open the door.

I was horridly annoyed one time when they called offering to weed my
front garden only a few minutes after I'd done it myself. I wondered
what they were proposing to pull up.

Chris

Old 30-04-2010, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
when some chap knocked on my door yesterday to offer to clean up my block
paving to get rid of the violets. Which I might say look spectacular atm,
they are growing in the crevices and look absolutely beautiful.
Some people have no soul.
Tina

I too suffer from occasional infestations of people who want to weed
my garden. They tend to come in pairs. After eradicating the first one
with some difficulty, his mate calls 5 minutes later and yells through
the letterbox if you don't open the door.

I was horridly annoyed one time when they called offering to weed my
front garden only a few minutes after I'd done it myself. I wondered
what they were proposing to pull up.
---
I also suffer from travellers keep knocking to see if they can take away my
"old car"
OK, it's elderly, but suits me - no rust, taxed, insured, never fails its
MoT, starts first time and gets me to work every day.
I'm losing patience about this. Last time (last week) I told them to f
off - which is not like me.
I feel like I need to put a notice on my car in my drive.
"USED EVERY DAY"

Tina

Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

I also suffer from travellers keep knocking to see if they can take away my
"old car"
OK, it's elderly, but suits me - no rust, taxed, insured, never fails its
MoT, starts first time and gets me to work every day.
I'm losing patience about this. Last time (last week) I told them to f
off - which is not like me.
I feel like I need to put a notice on my car in my drive.
"USED EVERY DAY"

Ah. I seem to have stopped them. I said I might part with it. He asked
how much I'd take.

I said that the 'book' price was thirteen hundred, and as it only needed
a door, which he could no doubt provide out of stock, I'd take a grand.

No more visits. Word must get about.

--
Rusty
Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I also suffer from travellers keep knocking to see if they can take away
my "old car"
OK, it's elderly, but suits me - no rust, taxed, insured, never fails its
MoT, starts first time and gets me to work every day.
I'm losing patience about this. Last time (last week) I told them to f
off - which is not like me.
I feel like I need to put a notice on my car in my drive.
"USED EVERY DAY"

Ah. I seem to have stopped them. I said I might part with it. He asked how
much I'd take.

I said that the 'book' price was thirteen hundred, and as it only needed a
door, which he could no doubt provide out of stock, I'd take a grand.

No more visits. Word must get about.

I must try that. It has a good number plate too. PIG3 MrF
When it eventually dies, which will not be soon, I will sell the number
plate to a pig farmer whose surname begins with F.
But at the moment, it is perfect. I don't need a posh car, merely one that
gets me from A to B.
I always buy my cars from elderly people who can't drive them any more.
They are low mileage, have been looked after and suit me fine, I am not
interested in posing with a "new this year number plate"
Tina

Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

No more visits. Word must get about.

I must try that. It has a good number plate too. PIG3 MrF
When it eventually dies, which will not be soon, I will sell the number
plate to a pig farmer whose surname begins with F.
But at the moment, it is perfect. I don't need a posh car, merely one that
gets me from A to B.
I always buy my cars from elderly people who can't drive them any more.
They are low mileage, have been looked after and suit me fine, I am not
interested in posing with a "new this year number plate"

It has to pass its MOT before you can transfer the number - unless
things have changed.

--
Rusty

Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

No more visits. Word must get about.

I must try that. It has a good number plate too. PIG3 MrF
When it eventually dies, which will not be soon, I will sell the number
plate to a pig farmer whose surname begins with F.
But at the moment, it is perfect. I don't need a posh car, merely one
that gets me from A to B.
I always buy my cars from elderly people who can't drive them any more.
They are low mileage, have been looked after and suit me fine, I am not
interested in posing with a "new this year number plate"

It has to pass its MOT before you can transfer the number - unless things
have changed.

It's never failed an MoT yet, but will look into that when it deceases which
is a while away. I will only part with it if it costs £1,000 to repair
(which it won't) for the simple reason it would cost more that for me to get
another car.
I have a good mechanic who keeps it well serviced and it has never, ever,
let me down. Oh, it did have a puncture twice in 6 years - I forgot that
;-)