Old 28-04-2010, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb!

Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well. The advice about not
picking in the first season - do you just leave the stalks on and let them
die back naturally, or do they have to be removed at some stage.

Thanks Brian

Old 28-04-2010, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~Brian~" wrote in message
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well.
The advice about not
picking in the first season - do you just leave the
stalks on and let them die back naturally, or do they
have to be removed at some stage.

Just let them die back naturally. What variety have you
got?

Bertie

Old 28-04-2010, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bertie Doe wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in message
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well.
The advice about not
picking in the first season - do you just leave the
stalks on and let them die back naturally, or do they
have to be removed at some stage.

Just let them die back naturally. What variety have you
got?

One is a crown I got from a neighbor - dont know about that one. The others
are Timperley.

Old 28-04-2010, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , ~Brian~
writes
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well. The advice about not
picking in the first season - do you just leave the stalks on and let them
die back naturally, or do they have to be removed at some stage.

Thanks Brian

I suggest you allow them to die back naturally. Also, be controlled when
pulling only a couple in the second year. There are some good pieces of
advice in the following link - which my wife (within who's domain the
rhubarb falls - at least in our garden) has found very accurate and
helpful:

http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Growing-Rhubarb.htm

HTH.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 28-04-2010, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote:
In message , ~Brian~
writes
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well. The advice
about not picking in the first season - do you just leave the stalks
on and let them die back naturally, or do they have to be removed at
some stage. Thanks Brian

I suggest you allow them to die back naturally. Also, be controlled
when pulling only a couple in the second year. There are some good
pieces of advice in the following link - which my wife (within who's
domain the rhubarb falls - at least in our garden) has found very
accurate and helpful:

http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Growing-Rhubarb.htm

HTH.

Thanks everyone, I think Ive got it now! :-D

Old 28-04-2010, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

~Brian~ wrote:
http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Growing-Rhubarb.htm
HTH.

Thanks everyone, I think Ive got it now! :-D

From that site:

During subsequent years three or four stalks can be pulled at a time with
three or four left on the plant. It is usually possible to harvest two or
three times per plant per year between May and August.

Does that really mean only 6-12 sticks per plant?
Perhaps I have multiple plants growing in the same place, then, cos I can
generally take 12+ sticks at a time without it even making a dent in the
plant! And I can do that 2 or 3 times a month.
Old 28-04-2010, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

~Brian~ wrote:
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well. The advice about not
picking in the first season - do you just leave the stalks on and let them
die back naturally, or do they have to be removed at some stage.

Thanks Brian

At the risk of Hi-Jacking the thread, I have the established result of
two Champagne crowns planted 4 - 5 years ago. last year, and
particularly this they are flowering vigorously. What am I not doing?
Previously with other attempts in other locations I have had very few
flower spikes. Perhaps I did'nt prepare this bed correctly.

Malcolm
Old 29-04-2010, 12:04 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
~Brian~ wrote:
Growing Rhubarb - Grow Your Own
HTH.

Thanks everyone, I think Ive got it now! :-D

From that site:

During subsequent years three or four stalks can be pulled at a time with
three or four left on the plant. It is usually possible to harvest two or
three times per plant per year between May and August.

Does that really mean only 6-12 sticks per plant?
I reckon you can pull sticks from each crown to leave 2 or 3 good leaves on each crown. But with a large plant, 2 or 3 sticks is quite a weight of rhubarb!
Old 29-04-2010, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default clematis id

On 2010-04-29 11:58:53 +0100, kay said:

Some years ago I grew from seed something that was labelled Clematis
integrifolia. It clearly wasn't, since it galloped straight to the top
of a Sorbus. So I've been looking out for flowers, and this year I
spotted them at the top of the tree - white, dropping, with rounded
rather than pointed petals. In terms of flowering time, this is very
early - before C armandii, and before CC alpina is even showing buds. So
I assume C cirrhosa - but is there anything else it could be?

It's also not totally tender - it's come through this winter unscathed,
whereas I lost my 10 year old C armandii

There's a white one called C. cirrhosa Jingle Bells

It's nice that Googling "C. Cirrhosa" and liver wort produces hits.

Pity to waste a good word like cirrhosis.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 29-04-2010, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Some years ago I grew from seed something that was labelled Clematis
integrifolia. It clearly wasn't, since it galloped straight to the top
of a Sorbus. So I've been looking out for flowers, and this year I
spotted them at the top of the tree - white, dropping, with rounded
rather than pointed petals. In terms of flowering time, this is very
early - before C armandii, and before CC alpina is even showing buds. So
I assume C cirrhosa - but is there anything else it could be?

It's also not totally tender - it's come through this winter unscathed,
whereas I lost my 10 year old C armandii

My armandii has just about finished flowering. The cirrhosa balearica
finished a month ago.

I assume that as you said yours could be cirrhosa it is evergreen. If that
isn't the case, it isn't cirrhosa.

--

Jeff

Old 29-04-2010, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

~Brian~ wrote:
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well. The advice about not
picking in the first season - do you just leave the stalks on and let them
die back naturally, or do they have to be removed at some stage.

Let them die back naturally, when they can be folded over on themselves
and act as mulch.

Next year when you pull some, don't pull any after the gooseberries have
cropped. (Or you'll weaken the crown.)

--
Rusty
Old 29-04-2010, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm wrote:
~Brian~ wrote:
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well. The advice
about not picking in the first season - do you just leave the stalks
on and let them die back naturally, or do they have to be removed at
some stage.

Thanks Brian

At the risk of Hi-Jacking the thread, I have the established result of
two Champagne crowns planted 4 - 5 years ago. last year, and
particularly this they are flowering vigorously. What am I not doing?
Previously with other attempts in other locations I have had very few
flower spikes. Perhaps I did'nt prepare this bed correctly.

They probably need feeding.

Lack of nutrients will often stimulate the plant to produce seed 'cos it
thinks it might be dying...

Give it a multi-purpose feed weekly, and loads of water - on average
mine get around four gallons of water a day. See if that perks it up.

If not, and you have the room and the energy, prepare a new bed, slice a
satellite off the crown and start again. The old bed will last a few
years as the new one gets established.

--
Rusty
Old 30-04-2010, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:01:01 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

"kay" wrote in message

Some years ago I grew from seed something that was labelled Clematis
integrifolia. It clearly wasn't, since it galloped straight to the top
of a Sorbus. So I've been looking out for flowers, and this year I
spotted them at the top of the tree - white, dropping, with rounded
rather than pointed petals. In terms of flowering time, this is very
early - before C armandii, and before CC alpina is even showing buds. So
I assume C cirrhosa - but is there anything else it could be?

It's also not totally tender - it's come through this winter unscathed,
whereas I lost my 10 year old C armandii

My armandii has just about finished flowering. The cirrhosa balearica
finished a month ago.

I assume that as you said yours could be cirrhosa it is evergreen. If that
isn't the case, it isn't cirrhosa.

Where are you Jeff?
My armandii and cirrhosa baleaarica are both in full bloom.
Integrifolia is surely herbaceous and cirrhosa is evergreen?

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"kay" wrote in message

[...]

I'm in West Sussex (although I was in your area at the Botanic Gardens in
Bristol today. They are doing a good job there - it's worth seeing. Will
be more plants in flower in a few weeks, though).

Integrifolia is surely herbaceous and cirrhosa is evergreen?

Yes, so I can't see how they could be confused with each other!

--

Jeff